The Witcher Ultimate Collection

+
Ballowers100 said:
Re-doing The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings there is absolutely no point at all. Supporting The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a whole other story. There are still lots of bugs CD Projekt RED can fix. I still see quite a few Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) bugs, collision and physics bugs, graphics bugs, etc. for the collision and physics bugs I would like to actually see when you pull out your sword so your sword does not clip through walls instead it would be nice if Geralt of Rivia or any other NPC's when you get close to the walls you lift your sword closer to your chest or something like that. Same thing goes for NPC's like the Harpy's their wings should touch the walls and not clip through them. I seen it a few times and when the NPC's die their bodies clip through the doors and walls would be nice so that they don't.

Supporting perhaps.. but re-releasing it for a 'collectors edition', not so sure for that. Even changing the interactions between environments and characters is a bitch.

And by A.I. bugs I assume you mean the ones where they are standing still while you attack them etc, Id ask for another update of the game rather than a remastering or re-release of the game using another engine.

And since this is about an 'ultimate collection' or whatnot, I really cant see it happening.

I think they should release both Witcher 1 and 2 on next gen consoles, so console players specially PS3/PS4 players could experience the whole trilogy. I don't think neither Witcher 1 or 2 need remastering. They can program them so they run on Ultra settings on next gen consoles and we're good to go.
I am a PC player, but I care about my console playing brethren.

This should make new games instead. Resurrecting things of the past means redoing almost everything except writing the scenario and scenario isn't what takes the most time to do.

I'd much rather have new content; remastering would be redoing in this case. Would you rather buy new unseen games or something from the past that gets resurrected and ultimately you'll have some nostalgia, things that were altered to be coherent with the process of remastering etc. WHile I'm not in general against, I don't think it'd be the best route to take.

adridu59 said:
This should make new games instead. Resurrecting things of the past means redoing almost everything except writing the scenario and scenario isn't what takes the most time to do.

I'd much rather have new content; remastering would be redoing in this case. Would you rather buy new unseen games or something from the past that gets resurrected and ultimately you'll have some nostalgia, things that were altered to be coherent with the process of remastering etc. WHile I'm not in general against, I don't think it'd be the best route to take.
What about new comers to the series ?
Specially people who owned a PS3.
They deserve to play the whole trilogy, because all witcher games were awesome. No need to remaster stuff, just release them on next gen consoles with a little bit of tweaking.

Shawnkh said:
I think they should release both Witcher 1 and 2 on next gen consoles, so console players specially PS3/PS4 players could experience the whole trilogy.

You realise this is what almost caused there to be no Witcher 2 last time they tried it right?

I would buy it if released...but I'm completely fine with how the previous 2 games look and play.

I'm so in love with these games it's not possible to fawn over them anymore than I already do...seriously!

I resent and reject the notion that TW1 looks bad and has bad combat and needs to have these things "fixed." Voted no.

If they could do TW2 easily, then fine, but if it would take a lot of work, no. And a definite no for TW1 for all of the reasons already given. So overall, no.

Shawnkh said:
What about new comers to the series ?
Specially people who owned a PS3.
They deserve to play the whole trilogy, because all witcher games were awesome. No need to remaster stuff, just release them on next gen consoles with a little bit of tweaking.

That's the kind of thing GOG does for PC.

The engine of The Witcher 1/The Witcher 2 is not compatible with the current consoles.

Especially, Witcher 1 engine isn't at all meant for consoles.

adridu59 said:
That's the kind of thing GOG does for PC.

The engine of The Witcher 1/The Witcher 2 is not compatible with the current consoles.

Especially, Witcher 1 engine isn't at all meant for consoles.

That's one of the reason why they should port it to REDengine 3.. So everybody can enjoy it.. It wont require that much work and they will be able to sell Witcher 1 and 2 for consoles as well.. (Especially on PS4 AND XBONE) So, it is a win-win situation..

eskiMoe said:

I believe he said that in Witcher 2 era, and i already said it would be hard to port quests.. (Even modders are able to port whole GTA map in about a month) But they are not in a hurry and they could do that part little by little or could hire outside help. But it is worth it and it is not like they won't make anything out of it, there are ton of hungry for good games console and PC players, wouldn't you agree?

And if they don't, they don't.. I wouldn't want them to put a halt to their other upcoming games (especially Cyberpunk 2077), i just want them to work on this whenever they can. It wouldn't really matter when they release it, people would still buy it. I know i would.

thewarsend said:
But it is worth it and it is not like they won't make anything out of it, there are ton of hungry for good games console and PC players, wouldn't you agree?
The success of remakes are hard to estimate. I mean look at FF7. There's tons of people who want a remake of that game but SE has voiced their doubt about the success of it multiple times. And I don't personally think developing the game with RED engine 3 vs 2 makes that much of a difference. (correct me if I'm wrong)

It'll still be very costly.

Also, the visual style in TW1 is very unique, mostly due to the fact that they used the modified aurora engine. It had that kind of an "oil painting" look that's probably very hard to replicate with Red Engine (or any other engine tbh) and it would take a lot of the charm away from the game. And the soundtrack suits terrifically to the visuals as well..

And like slimgrin pointed out earlier, after spending nearly a decade developing witcher games, the devs reaction to the news that they get to start everything all over again would probably be the following:

Of course they could outsource the project to another developer but after the fiasco with RotWW, I'm not sure they're so enthusiastic about the idea..

thewarsend said:
Maybe......some day . Personally though some things should remain a classic
*high five*

eskiMoe said:
The success of remakes are hard to estimate. I mean look at FF7. There's tons of people who want a remake of that game but SE has voiced their doubt about the success of it multiple times. And I don't personally think developing the game with RED engine 3 vs 2 makes that much of a difference. (correct me if I'm wrong)

The game never before sold on consoles and many players still want it, also seeing how well games like Half-Life Source, Riddick and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition did on sales (and it was only on PC and ipad) and knowing that Witcher 1 was and is an amazing game, i can fairly say it will do well. There are other examples of this (Like Myst and Zelda) but it is too much to got into right now.

eskiMoe said:
It'll still be very costly.

What do you base that upon?

eskiMoe said:
Also, the visual style in TW1 is very unique, mostly due to the fact that they used the modified aurora engine. It had that kind of an "oil painting" look that's probably very hard to replicate with Red Engine (or any other engine tbh) and it would take a lot of the charm away from the game. And the soundtrack suits terrifically to the visuals as well..

That effect was mostly caused by textures and blur effect, it wasn't some special feature of Aurora engine. They can do that and more with REDengine.

eskiMoe said:
And like slimgrin pointed out earlier, after spending nearly a decade developing witcher games, the devs reaction to the news that they get to start everything all over again would probably be the following:

It is a business place. They are not doing what they are doing for the fun and the kicks. If it can bring profits, i'm sure they will do it happily. I'm sure it wouldn't be like the whole crew working on porting Witcher 1 anyway.

eskiMoe said:
Of course they could outsource the project to another developer but after the fiasco with RotWW, I'm not sure they're so enthusiastic about the idea..

*high five*

These things happen.. Many companies use outside help and it doesn't happen to them and hopefully it won't happen ever again. And the CDPR is not like the way it was back then.

Well, like i said, if they do it is great, but if they don't, thats alright too.. And it will still remain a classic even if they port it. It is like restoring an old, classic car. Just a new engine and it runs whole a lot better.

thewarsend said:
The game never before sold on consoles and many players still want it, also seeing how well games like Half-Life Source, Riddick and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition did on sales (and it was only on PC and ipad) and knowing that Witcher 1 was an amazing game, i can fairly say it will do well. There are other examples of this (Like Myst and Zelda) but it too much to got into right now.
Do you have some solid data how well those remakes actually sold? I mean were they actually that successful?

thewarsend said:
What do you base that upon?
Marcin's comments on the subject (apparently). And well, developing games is expensive.

I could ask you the same question. What do you base your opinion upon?

thewarsend said:
That effect was mostly caused by textures and blur effect, it wasn't some special feature of Aurora engine. They can do that and more with REDengine.
That I disagree. In my opinion the fact that CDPR had to work with the limitations of the old Aurora engine forced them to look at alternative methods on creating fantastic looking visuals. They couldn't just rely on the brute graphical prowess and effects you would've gotten from a modern graphics engine. And in doing so created this one of a kind visual style of The Witcher:

That's what I meant by the oil-painting look.^ Still haven't played a game that I could say had a similar look.

thewarsend said:
It is a business place. They are not doing what they are doing for the fun and the kicks. If it can bring profits, i'm sure they will do it happily. I'm sure it wouldn't be like the whole crew working on porting Witcher 1 anyway.

Yes, and this was the point I have been making all along. Sure, it would be nice and interesting to see a remake of TW1, but business wise it's very difficult to estimate how successful it will be since it's a remake of an old game. A safer bet would always be to make something new aka a sequel.

And besides, afaik the point of CDPR wanting to stay independent was that they could essentially do what they want/love. And I'm not sure that they are very enthusiastic on going back to the first game, after spending years on developing it on PC and then even after that failing the port with RotWW.

thewarsend said:
These things happen.. Many companies use outside help and it doesn't happen to them and hopefully it won't happen ever again. And the CDPR is not like the way it was back then.
Yeah. Sure. But still. The company went on the brink of bankruptcy because of outsourcing.. :/

eskiMoe said:
Do you have some solid data how well those remakes actually sold? I mean were they actually that successful?

I've read a ton of interviews and i haven't found a single interview where they said "Yeah, it didn't sell well and we have made a huge mistake." or at least "It is not selling as much as we hoped.", and most of these remakes (as you put it, as it is not a remake, it is porting) were only released on only a single platform. CDPR has the opportunity to release it on multiple platforms including next gen.

eskiMoe said:
Marcin's comments on the subject (apparently). And well, developing games is expensive.

I could ask you the same question. What do you base your opinion upon?

Did you know Half-Life Source was a fan project.. Gabe once said that it was still going strong and it sold well. Thats why they're still updating it.

eskiMoe said:
That I disagree. In my opinion the fact that CDPR had to work with the limitations of the old Aurora engine forced them to look at alternative methods on creating fantastic looking visuals. They couldn't just rely on the brute graphical prowess and effects you would've gotten from a modern graphics engine. And in doing so created this one of a kind visual style of The Witcher:

That's what I meant by the oil-painting look.^ Still haven't played a game that I could say had a similar look.

That, we will have to agree to disagree, i don't feel it is oily looking and i don't think it is a modification on the engine. (It still looks beautiful though, that we will have to agree :) ) I believe it is because they used some nice tricks on the texture and blur effect. (Skyboxes help with that greatly) And i don't believe it would be that hard to replicate. (And even if it was a part of the engine and if they did it with an old, broken an utterly crappy engine, they can do it with their own engine eyes closed. But thats just my opinion.)

eskiMoe said:
Yes, and this was the point I have been making all along. Sure, it would be nice and interesting to see a remake of TW1, but business wise it's very difficult to estimate how successful it will be since it's a remake of an old game. A safer bet would always be to make something new aka a sequel.

It is not a remake. Doom 3 was a remake. They will not have to remake an entire game from scratch.. Everything is already there. It is just porting. And since the engine is for Witcher 3, they already have all the basics covered. (Since it is basically same game with a different story, Geralt does, what he always does, slay monsters. Engine is fine tuned for a Witcher story.)

eskiMoe said:
Yeah. Sure. But still. The company went on the brink of bankruptcy because of outsourcing.. :/

At the time, they were small, too small to try to pull off something like they did. They made some mistakes. It happens. And perhaps they are better for it since they gathered much needed experience out of it. I wish it never happened, but if they are secured and backed as much as they stated they are, hopefully it will never happen. I'm really glad they survived from it though. And they will have to use use outside help eventually (so many projects, so little time), it is a small project compared to a whole game, since everything is already there. They have the whole game, and the whole engine that actually belongs to them with console support already at their disposal. Things will be fine for them either way. :) Man, i love CDPR..

Top Bottom