The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we shouldn't forget that Cirilla is about 15 years older in Witcher 3 than she was at the end of the saga. You can change a lot in 15 years depending on your experiences and the events you had to go through... ;)

How do you know? The games are 5 year after the end of the saga, but Ciri could have been travelling more or less than that.

"Geralt?"
"Yes, Yen."
"When I.....when we weren't together were you with other women?"
"No."
"Not once?"
"Not once."
"Your voice didn't even tremble. So I don't know why I don't believe you."
"I always thought of you, Yen."
"Now I believe it."

from The Lady of the Lake, Andrej Sapkowski

Just sayin, boys... :)

After reading the books, I don't see any other choice for Geralt besides Yennefer. Fine with me because I vastly prefer her anyway. :D

"We've had enough of words!" [Yennefer] growled. "Show more humility, you arrogant bitch! It's my man, mine and mine alone! You understood? You should stop talking about him, stop thinking of him, stop admiring his noble character... Right away, here and now! Oh, I really feel like grabbing you by your red curls..."
"Just go and try it!", Triss yelled. "Go and try it, you goat, and I claw out your eyes! I...."

This game should be epic.... :p

That kissing part game me a flashback to the surprise waking up next to Triss in TW2. I think it's there to show us that there is indeed a choice. At least I hope it is. No more defaults, please.

Very happy to see Triss in the trailer and hoping that it is evidence of their being a choice in the game.

"We've had enough of words!" [Yennefer] growled. "Show more humility, you arrogant bitch! It's my man, mine and mine alone! You understood? You should stop talking about him, stop thinking of him, stop admiring his noble character... Right away, here and now! Oh, I really feel like grabbing you by your red curls..."
"Just go and try it!", Triss yelled. "Go and try it, you goat, and I claw out your eyes! I...."

This game should be epic.... :p

Can you include the whole conversation? I haven´t the book at hand and would have to translate it to English, but I think it´s relevant to show how Geralt would react if he had all the information. He may not hold a grudge, but he doesn´t forgive what´s done to those he loves.

Can you include the whole conversation? I haven´t the book at hand and would have to translate it to English, but I think it´s relevant to show how Geralt would react if he had all the information. He may not hold a grudge, but he doesn´t forgive what´s done to those he loves.

that conversation was only between Triss and Yennefer. Ciri overheard it, but Geralt wasn't there and he probably doesn't (want to) know
the whole involvement of Triss in the lodge.

And yeah, put that in spoilers please @LordCrash
[/ spoiler]

Last edited:
I hope we're not forced to choose Yennefer. People keep talking about cannon, but this is a RPG, and choice in my opinion, is the cornerstone of what makes a RPG. Now, where is Shani?

The woman with the brown hairs (Yennefer?) is my favorite. When I saw Ciri for the first time, I thought, it's Wynne from Dragon Age.

I have a feeling that as much as I liked the Triss romance I will probably jump off that ship and go with Yennefer instead, since she is the love of his life.

I haven't read the books, but I know enough and I probably will until the game releases.

First of all:

I've got to say after seeing all them trailers and teaser goodies! It's no brainer that just like the previous two Witcher games which are my favourite RPG games ever made by the way (followed by FF7 and Mass Effect trilogy), bla bla but back to the point .. it's no brainer that the third installment of the Witcher series will be Goty for sure .. there are just so many factors pointing that way already it's ridiculous. :D

Second and back on the topic:

There are a lot of people saying this and that about both Triss and Yennefer, this is an RPG game and core of the Witcher RPG is the choices .. I sure hope they'll give us a choice to either continue our romance with Triss or going back to Yen. It would feel like a betrayal to people who "married" Triss in the first game and continued the romance in the second to be forced to go for Yen. Just as on the other side it would be a batrayal to book readers to have no chance to get back with Yen.

Witcher 3 is supposed to be Geralt's personal story, don't leave out the most important choice. :)

Or you know what? Geralt is the MAN .. why can't he have both? :D

Last edited:
The woman with the brown hairs (Yennefer?) is my favorite. When I saw Ciri for the first time, I thought, it's Wynne from Dragon Age.
A much, much younger Wynne then. :p But the hairstyle and color are indeed about the same.

If you do guys please put spoiler tags around it.

I can't see how my posts spoiler anything important about the story of the books or even Witcher 3. And anyway, this is the forum for the GAME WITCHER 3 and not for the books. Among fans the books should be common knowledge. It's pretty hard to talk about Witcher 3 if you can't really talk about the books. That's like talking about the new Star Wars movie without being able to talk freely about Star Wars 1-6. Sorry, but the world is hard and you probably shouldn't read a thread about the story of W3 if you don't want to have any spoilers about the actual history and pre-events of the game which happened in the saga. In that case you should stay far away from any forums or at least from story threads imo. ;)

Last edited:
Since TW3 is about Geralt's personal quest, I get the feeling one of the important themes that will come out of it will be "be careful what you wish for...." Geralt and Yennefer may re-unite, but can they pick up where they left off? Has either or both of them changed from the person(s) they were once? The ending may not be happy, especially for Geralt.

My take on the Triss of the games (have not read the books) is that she sees Geralt as a close friend, but not romantically or even emotionally attached enough to spend the rest of her life with him. And if Triss is involved in a large part of TW3's gameplay, well why would she even help Geralt find his long-lost "true" love if she wanted Geralt for herself? Triss reminds me of DA's Morrigan; romantically involved with the protagonist, but in the end leaves him to fulfill her true agenda. And Triss, to me, has other agendas than Geralt.

Well I expect a lot of people to dislike my comment, but here's what I think.

I think it was awesome that you could choose to be with Triss in The Witcher 1 and 2. Nothing should have been changed there in my opinion. Why not? Because it makes sense. Geralt doesn't have his memory and the little stuff he could actually remember counted positively towards Triss, plus... Well... As always, she was also "trying her best" when around him. "My Geralt" went all in with her and I would've done it again.

However, after finishing TW2, I took my time to read all the books, and with this new found knowledge, I know what should happen should Geralt regain his memory - which he does in The Witcher 3. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging or anything, after all anyone that likes the story can read the books through the fan translations present in these forums (provided they know english). All I'm saying is, once you know the full story, it just wouldn't make sense for Geralt not to pick Yennefer. Saying they went through a lot together would be an euphemism.

Long story short, now that he actually has his memory back, he can't just ignore all that happened with Yennefer. If anything, limiting Geralt's choice to her should only encourage players to read the full story - and if they don't want to, there's no problem with that, but at least they should have to understand that is who the main character is. This isn't Skyrim or Dragon Age: Origins, where you literally make your character and shape him into whatever you want (nothing wrong with that, just mentioning those games to prove a point). Geralt already exists. In a fictional world, of course, but he does. Getting to choose how he acts towards certain incidents and what he says in conversations is really awesome and understandable, I dare say one of the best things about this series. But this specific choice between the two girls is just too huge considering his past.

So hate me if you will, but I must say, I actually have my fingers crossed hoping we CAN'T choose Triss. It's clear by now that you will be able to have a relationship with her through the game, but should there be a final choice... Yennefer is the way to go.

Since TW3 is about Geralt's personal quest, I get the feeling one of the important themes that will come out of it will be "be careful what you wish for...." Geralt and Yennefer may re-unite, but can they pick up where they left off? Has either or both of them changed from the person(s) they were once? The ending may not be happy, especially for Geralt.

My take on the Triss of the games (have not read the books) is that she sees Geralt as a close friend, but not romantically or even emotionally attached enough to spend the rest of her life with him. And if Triss is involved in a large part of TW3's gameplay, well why would she even help Geralt find his long-lost "true" love if she wanted Geralt for herself? Triss reminds me of DA's Morrigan; romantically involved with the protagonist, but in the end leaves him to fulfill her true agenda. And Triss, to me, has other agendas than Geralt.

If the game stays true to the nature of the books there won't be any happy end. Or at least you won't easily find one... ;)

And yeah, the relationship between Yennefer and Geralt is very complicated so many things could happen. But there was a progression in the book saga in their relationship as well which can't easily be reverted imo. We know that Yennefer is very jealous, irascible and unforgiving. Geralts actions and love interests in TW 1+2 could severly damage their own relationship again with Yennefer being mad about him. Probably it's a hard and long way to find together again but in the end, they are connected by fate, they are soulmates, both in happiness and in tragedy. According to the lore of the Witcher, the only way to keep them seperated in the long run is one of them dying... ;)
Triss on the other hand always had a soft spot for Geralt, like most of the other sorceresses of the Witcher world. If you are a powerful sorceress who can be 100 years and older easily and looking like a woman in her 20s a normal human man isn't very interesting to you. Besides a male sorcerer a Witcher is the only "matching" fit to a sorceress, both in power and in age. So Triss always will be a competitor to Yennefer when it comes to Geralt. And Geralt - despite his love to Yennefer - has a soft spot for sorceresses in general as well so it probably stay interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom