Tomasz Baginski wants to turn "The Witcher" into a feature film.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

This sounds interesting:

Poor Google Translation:

On the PFI (Polish Film Institute) appeared a list of applications to the operational program "film production". Among the projects is a feature-length "The Witcher" by Tomasz Baginski - a director and shareholder Platige Image.

"The Witcher" lived in Poland feature film, which met with huge criticism of the audience and is now considered as an example of how not to do something.

Tomasz Baginski (nominated for an Oscar for "The Cathedral") is to experience the world of The Witcher thanks to a very popular computer games that conquered the world. He and the company Platige Image formed them intros, which delighted the audience.

At the moment details are not known, so it is difficult to say whether the movie would be acting or may be animated, as previously mentioned intros. Geralt is a character from fantasy books by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Recall that Platige Image for years Covenant to achieve the full-length film. They project "Hardkor 44", but in the end did not arise. A complete list of projects submitted in the PFI can be seen here .

Source

Baginski and Platige Image created all of the CGIs for The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077.

Some of the short films created by Platige:

- Oscar nominated The Cathedral
- Fallen Art
- Paths of hate

Honestly, I wouldn't be against a Witcher film if it was CGI based with the same quality as the Killing Monsters cinematic.

It would be in good hands after all.

But the problem with a 100% CGI based film is that it would have a small market audience, I think. Using Actors would be there best bet for monetizing the movie and having it receive the broadest audience possible.

Last edited:
He has talent, capital, and production resources available to him that did not exist when the earlier film was cobbled together.

The Witcher has many advantages that other game franchises do not, particularly a definite story, well-formed characters and relationships, and significant themes.

But please, if anybody attempts this, discard the idea of casting stars as principal characters, and cast an ensemble who show dedication to the project and put its needs above personal aggrandizement.

Oh man that would be really cool if they would do that, but it's unlikely I guess due to high production cost creating a feature film especially if it's in the same quality as the Witcher 2 Intro or Killing Monsters.

For it to be a good film and a full feature one, you would need couple of times more than the usual budget donation PISF usually gives.
So it's quite unlikely, especially that Mr. Sapkowski holds the rights to the Witcher franchise.

Lets it better be CGI. Live actors often turns to be pain in ass and also many times act and all the movie just sucks. Let it better be something like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Tekken or Thomas itself and Platique Image CGI movies based on the book or this videogame.

Do they plan on releasing CGI film in cinema? They better hire good voice actors for it with solid marketing plan.

Would all fans of Witcher or casual gamers go and pay for the cinema ticket? Kids are dumb and poor, they rather watch things for free. What about normal people who don't know Witcher, would they take thier girlfriend or boyfriend to watch full of gore and sex animation? They better not plan on releasing it on Bluray and DVD only, day one it will be uploaded and watched by 50.000 people.

It's costly project so they better think it through. It's too risky. Thing like Cyberpunk would do much better as a movie or TV series IMO.

Witcher anime would be better idea... 20 high quality episodes, maybe 2nd seson later on.

A CGI Movie would be so badass!!!
If Heavenly Sword an exclusive PS3 video game can come out with its own CGI move this SEP.
Then Witcher sure can some day.
I am all for this well after TW3 comes out;)

For it to be a good film and a full feature one, you would need couple of times more than the usual budget donation PISF usually gives.
So it's quite unlikely, especially that Mr. Sapkowski holds the rights to the Witcher franchise.

Crowdfunding can help. It can also enable releasing the film DRM-free.

Ok, probably an unpopular idea, but I don't like it =x. I have already an image of the the universe of the witcher from the books and is complemented by the games. If a movie were supose to come out it probably would be so different that I would not enjoy it as much, or even hate it =x.

Ok, probably an unpopular idea, but I don't like it =x. I have already an image of the the universe of the witcher from the books and is complemented by the games. If a movie were supose to come out it probably would be so different that I would not enjoy it as much, or even hate it =x.
I'd guess it can depend on the way it would be made. For example many worried that the Lord of The Rings films would come out too bad. They had their shortcomings, but in general they were pretty well received by Tolkien fans because Jackson cared about being faithful to the lore to a good degree.

Some did complain though that they ruined their previous mental images of characters and now the only way they can see them is through the film depicting :)

Last edited:
I think in principle an animated movie based on The Witcher could be a good idea, but I hope the writers, director and producers have something important to say with this universe/setting. Otherwise, why use yet another media to convey the elements we're all familiar with? If they have something new to say, something that only a movie can provide, then yeah go ahead.

I don't think the Polish TV series were that bad. They didn't have spectacular visual effects, and a lot of canon elements were changed drastically (arguably the games did that too) but I think many scenes were well done. For instance I like the episode based on "A shard of ice".

If a CGI Witcher movie is made, I would prefer it to be about some new story set somewhere/sometime recognizable, but new.

I've enjoyed many CGI movies, are some people forgetting the excellent Pixar stuff? Animation films are doing very well these days financially, of course these have been primarily comedy, but why draw a line there? CGI or live action, wouldn't matter to me, I'd go and see it. People are right to say the material is there for a great movie, as long as the love is also there in the makers.

I've enjoyed many CGI movies, are some people forgetting the excellent Pixar stuff? Animation films are doing very well these days financially, of course these have been primarily comedy, but why draw a line there? CGI or live action, wouldn't matter to me, I'd go and see it. People are right to say the material is there for a great movie, as long as the love is also there in the makers.

Pixar and Dreamworks do well because they can reach a wide market and usually have good stories that can appeal to all ages, however, there have been CG flops and they usually fall under the more realistic styles. Polar Express and Beowulf are two examples I can think of.

A lot of the others have gone the route of being released very limitedly in theaters, but mainly focusing on a straight to blu-ray/dvd methodology (FF: Advent Children, Resident Evil: Damnation, the new Heavenly Sword movie, etc).

That being said, I think a movie format could work very well for The Witcher, just not sure how well it would be received regardless of it being live action or CG. Too many unpredictable factors at this time.

Correct me if i'm wrong: but isn't the WoW movie expected to be primarily - if not completely - computer generated?

Crowdfunding can help.
It definitely can help, but it would still require a lot of money - and while The Witcher series is getting quite popular, it's nowhere near big enough to make people donate millions of dollars.

It can also enable releasing the film DRM-free.

Please. How is that supposed to help the biggest problem the movie has? The lack of budget. I mean it would be nice, but it's trivial at this stage.

Correct me if i'm wrong: but isn't the WoW movie expected to be primarily - if not completely - computer generated?

It's supposed to be live action, but I would expect there will be a ton of CG post production work on top of it. The orcs sound like they'll be fully CG from what was shown at SDCC.

Also, Warcraft has a huge fan base and is a name known by pretty much all gamers and a lot of non-gamers as well. Witcher is growing in popularity, but isn't at the same level. Maybe after 3 comes out, that'll shift a lot more.

Guest 3669645

http://www.tvn24.pl/kultura-styl,8/nadchodzi-wiedzmin-od-baginskiego,460851.html
Na pytanie o szczegóły projektu odpowiada: "Film jest w fazie developmentu. Na tę chwilę nie udzielam więcej informacji. Trzeba poczekać do końca roku".

Translate:
"When we asked about the details of the project Tomasz Bagiński says, "The movie is in development. At the moment do not give more information. You have to wait until the end of the year. "

Witcher anime would be better idea

EDIT: Movie confirmed by Platige Image.

We started preparing for the production of full-length feature actor movie "The Witcher", for which he will be responsible Tomek Baginski and crew Platige Films. The scenario will be based on the prose of Andrzej Sapkowski.
The project is currently in development.
From Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom