• No

Votes: 61 7.0%
  • I wish this was a Sard poll

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I don't get the "Sard poll" joke

Votes: 98 11.3%
  • I don't vote on polls

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • "I don't vote on polls". Genius, Reptile, just genius.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Sometimes, we do things we regret. On a related note, how's it going today?

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Thank you CDPR for this game. I've just played through a part of the story line where a particular person leaves you. The expression on Geralt's face must have taken weeks, but it conveys the feelings superbly. Must have been exactly how my own face looked like at that moment :)
This expression by itself was well worth the wait, pre-order price and everything else. Don't even get me started on the rest of game.
By far the best game I ever played.
Thanks again, Jure

The baron questline is the most fing annoying quest in the entire game. Having to watch a POS goat eat strawberries and being denied the ability to kill that little pos was just infuriating. Then being told I can't save and having to start the end of that questline all over again right after was the straw that broke the camels back. In the future don't add console type BS YOU CANNOT SAVE HERE!!! fing limitations in a game where you can save anywhere. It doesn't belong and makes the game needlessly tedious and in my case just pisses me off on fing principle. Did I curse enough to get my point across? I hope so. Otherwise love the game but this bothered me enough I had to make an account to post because it is just retarded.

Thank you CD Project Red! This game is exactly what I was waiting for from whole gamedev! Yes, there were some annoing bugs but still my rate is 15/10 maybe even more!
Hope this game (just like TW1 and TW2) would become references to other gamedev studios! Seriosly! :)
Too bad this is the end of all series. It would be great if there were a possibility to participate in books events like battle on Sodden, Tanned, to meet Kagyr, Regis, to kill Bonart and Vilgefortz, etc. ;)
Thank you again for great work and good games to you and all of us!
PS. Want ot say way more but my English is too bad

I finally figured out the problem with Ciri's combat! She doesn't turn herself towards the opponent like Geralt does. After Geralt dodges or rolls he's still looking at the opponent even if not locked on him. When Ciri dodges - she looks in the direction of the dodge. As a result - she looks in the direction opposite to the enemy, exposes her back and looks quite awkward. Especially when strafing and backtracking. But i guess it can be fixed quite easily. If i only knew a way to make sure CDPR gets this...

Actualy i dont enjoy TW3 because

- For a direct console port on PC the optimization is bad
- All light / color scheme look very bad compare to the preview fake graphic trailer
- Fight is a bit clunky so far some magic dont correctly work like the kinetic force ( forget the in game name ) like : pushed down a monster 1sec after the cast ( and he had time to hit me ) the parry timing look kinda weird / a bit broken.. Sometime it work correct, sometime it doesnt and you get hit even with the same timing.
- All targeting system is VERY annoying. No descent way to correctly target who you want when fighting serveral ennemy
- The movement inertia is very irritating
- All geraly movement for climbing and so dont make sense, sometime you can jump on sometime 1m high, sometime it doesnt work.. pretty badly made
- The inventory is... terrible

As i already said, the game can be very well made for quest writting / story. But seriously, for a AAA game, all the gameplay ( well yeah its important because its a GAME ) dont really feel right, and can be more annying than enjoying.
And the graphic.. well... pretty well knowed discussion... And imho that game dont look very good ( not too bad either tho ) and... at see the graphic... it really run like sh*t. ( guess, very bad optimization work )

Because all that i dont succeed to get in the game

How the Inventory COULD look like =)

- also discuss this on reddit *click*

Damn ! the inventory look very nice like that... maybe that guy should teach to thoses "professional videogame maker" how design a proper inventory... ><

Suggestion - Post Main Story

Big Honking Spoiler Warning through the END OF THE GAME

You've been warned

I finished the game today, I got the kinda good ending.

I did wonder about the third Crone, however. I

read that you only fight her with the 'bad' ending path but what would be really cool is with the 'good' path if you got it as an additional quest after meeting a Ciri at the Inn and got to kill her together and get the medallion back.

My review of Witcher 3. 7/10

After finishing Witcher 3 here are my final thoughts and how a great game is nearly ruined by so many little bad design decisions. I know many people won’t agree with me, but this is how I feel. I played the game on the second easiest difficulty.

First I will address what is the single worst aspect of the game for me personally:

1. The Combat. The combat is best described as a mix between assassins creed and the arkham series, with a little bit of the souls series thrown in. Except that it does nothing as well as those games and is a complete and utter disaster. In wide open spaces and one on one, it’s serviceable and for the most part I can manage, because you can often create enough room between you and your enemies to manage the fight.
However, it completely falls apart when you are fighting multiple enemies in small tight spaces. The situations don’t happen a lot, but when you are in dungeons, or taverns/houses. It sucks. In those tight spaces, the camera will often put you in an awkward position where you can't see the enemies and I often found myself getting attacked from an enemy I couldn’t see, which will often lead to multiple enemies getting good shots. And you end up having to frantically roll around to try to reposition yourself so you can get a good angle AND get enough space to use one of your sign powers just to create a tiny bit of breathing room. I don’t even know why the dodge mechanic even exists in this game since it rarely created enough distance to avoid enemy attacks. I also hate that Geralt is forced to commit to every animation and you can’t seem to cancel out of it. I have very slow reflexes and really struggle with parrying, although I was able to use it in one on one fights. I also hated how slow Geralt moved during combat. He should have moved quickly towards his enemies. The targeting system was off when dealing with a bunch of enemies.

Despite all of that, I eventually figured out that the best way to deal with multiple enemies when the game forces you into tight spaces was to make sure you started every fight with blocking engaged so that you could readjust the camera to a more favorable position. Doing that gave me a chance. Nevertheless, CDPR could take some tips from Rocksteady on how to design a nearly flawless combat system. I’d say do away completely with the strong attack option and make signs work the same way gadgets do using the Arkham control set.
I hate that you can’t force your way out of combat mode, in one instance I was on a boat and forced into combat mode, which meant I couldn’t jump off and was forced to arrow shot my enemies to kill them. Other frustrating things include Geralt getting attacked while taking his sweet time getting off the horse. I’m sure the response will be “git gud” and while it did become more manageable, it was never something that I didn’t hate. I also got the platinum trophy on Bloodborne, all the arkham games and Assassins Creed games, thus I do feel that I have some skill as a gamer.

The combat was the big issue and the following issues are little things that quickly added up to create a “death by a 1000 cuts” scenario and really affected my enjoyment on what could have been one of the greatest games of all time.

2. Geralts movement. It’s hard to describe, but I found it clunky. I find that if you are walking slowly and try to change directions Geralt would quickly dart in another direction. It was also a bad move to make the interact button the same button that makes Geralt run. If you’re walking on high up area and you try to interact with something only to drop from a high ledge. This brings me my next criticism.

3. Why the hell do you take so much damage when falling off a ledge? Why does falling 10 feat take away three quarters or my health? That's ridiculous. While most games allow you to fall from ridiculous heights with little to no health penalty, but in this game its frustrating at parts where you have to drop down several ledges and given its very easy for geralt to walk too far you can end up taking fall damage from falling the shortest of distances. This is a game. Dont make it be realistic. Bloodborne had fall damage perfect. The amount of damage Geralt should take from falling should have been 25% at most.

4. Map icons not always being present. This one annoyed the piss out of me at times. In a normal open world game if I need to see a specific NPC there is a map icon that will let me know at all times where that NPC is located. In Witcher 3 those icons would appear and disappear seemingly at random. I need to go and see a Blacksmith, why is there no Blacksmith icon showing up?
For the most part I now know where specific vendors are when I need
something, but why not just make them ALWAYS appear? It makes no sense and can be very annoying when you're in a new area or in a city that is difficult to get around if you are looking for a specific vendor. This made playing games with new NPCs a chore AND if I needed an item I often couldn’t find one. Seriously, how the crap did CDPR think this was a good idea? Trying to hunt down vendors added so much extra length to my playthrough, especially in the early hours.

5. Inventory management can be a nightmare. Where do I start?! For starters, there should have been a way to sort items, to my knowledge there was no method. For example, I'd like to know what items are heaviest, etc. Secondly, equipping items like bombs should have been easier instead of having to search through the slowest menu in existence. Crafting could be a pain in the ass, if you craft multiple things and you end up short on something you have to go back through the crafting menu and/or buy from the vendor which involved backing an out of the menu. One way they could have made it simple would be that if you highlighted the item that you were short of, it could ask you automatically if you wanted to purchase, craft or dismantle the necessary components to get it. People can argue that the this is part of RPGs, but it created unnecessary and unneeded frustration. Crafting was perfect in games like Farcry 4, Assassins Creed IV. Follow that model. On top of the slowest menu in existence. Towards the end of the game going back and forth between menus took sooooo long.

6. The load times between dying. On Xbox One they were an abomination. No idea if they are bad or worse on PS4. I used an external USB HDD.

7. The interact prompt seems to not work at times. I am not going to give examples, but far too often the interact icon would just not be present. This could affect some quests even.

8. Occasionally the crossbow would unselect between combat sessions. I almost always keep my crossbow as my go to item, but quite a few times I would have reenter the menu to inexplicably reselect it.

9. This was really only an issue when dealing with a pack of wolves, but let me run past the enemies without forcing me into combat mode. Most of the time I could manage, but in combat mode you slow down and Geralt has annoying tendency to turn around and when you just want to ignore wolfs it can be annoying.

10. Adopt the Fallout/Skyrim system of fast travel. Once you unlock a fast travel point just let us use it.

11. This is a complaint that is can be seen either way, but I found it annoying to realize that much later in the game that a decision made earlier locked me out of something else and that it would lead to failed quests later in the game.

12. Make all Gwent cards unmissable.

The good news is that I believe many of these issues could be fixed in DLC and/or patches.

In conclusion I feel that this game is really a 7/10 disguised as a 10/10 game.

It has excellent story, characters and some really well done quests and side pieces. The quests involving the Baron were some of the best written and most emotionally satisfying in any medium, let alone gaming, but the all of the little things really dampened the experience in places.

I can't comment on the experience playing with X1 but I would like to comment on several things you stated(in no particular order):

1) Combat can be hit or miss in TW3 in terms of experience and like what you described, it's especially can be frustrating in tight places, where Geralt may get stuck from clutters and structures. I believe adding jump function in combat could negate some of the frustrations players have. Some of the combat issues TW3 has actually are similar issues that TW2 has too like the one I described above and the blank screen after cut scenes which affects combat encounters.

2) I agree with regards to Geralt movement could be improved, especially the transition between walk to run and stop. He would also need to have more consistency in detecting ledges that he can ledge onto.

3) Fall damage - it's indeed true that Geralt should be able to fall from greater height without incurring any fall damage. However, you can negate the damage by double tapping jump button just before he lands to do a body roll. This will minimize your complaint on fall damage.

4) The load times between dying is fast in PC(approx 2 secs)

5) Agree that inventory system needs improvement especially giving filter based on weight would be a fine start to implement. The old inventory UI has better look and usefulness. However, sadly it was changed in release version.

Good review btw.

I would love.. A Persistant Blood On Geralts Armor and face Option during and after combat.
It looks amazing, please add this Option in with the next patch.
I don't even care if you can't see the blood on Geralt in the cutscenes, I just want to see it in game.
It would also be really fucking cool.. if devs could just program the persistant combat blood on Geralt, so that we could also wash it off when we want too.
e.g We could just go dive into any body of water to wash it off if we didn't want to see it on Geralt again, until the next time we get bloody in combat that is.
Yeah, little things like this and MORE On/Off Options to better the game for players, is what I still need in this game!
That would be ideal, if devs could really pull it off some way and make work.. like I said? :)

Last edited:
I'll agree the camera is shit in tight places. This really needs to be fixed. The other issues are relatively minor for me.

Nevertheless, CDPR could take some tips from Rocksteady on how to design a nearly flawless combat system. I’d say do away completely with the strong attack option and make signs work the same way gadgets do using the Arkham control set.

I strongly disagree. For an RPG there is nothing worse than the combat system by Rocksteady. A free flow system requires no skill, is all based on combos. Which is something way off from what an RPG should be.

1. Rolling stops stamina regen, dodging creates small space but stamina regen isn't affected. I agree in small area/in a room the fight is awkward because of the camera, also the combat mode triggered when on a boat makes Geralt cannot jump and trapped inside the boat is really an issue they have to fix. The combat mechanic is actually good aside from those annoyances, we can actually see enemy movements and react accordingly, Geralt isn't a tanker type without Quen, especially when playing on DeathMarch, dodge and roll and Quen are the only way to avoid damage, basically Geralt "tanks" all damage using agility or parry (for human enemies), sometimes it's also hard to create an opening and Quen is traded for landing a hit or two or as long as it allows. It really is a good combat mechanism and force us to make a distance and avoid being hit instead of tanking, human can't really tank a sword cut xD, but sadly not without flaws.

2.On PC interact button is [E], run is [Shift] , walk is [Ctrl], and Geralt won't move forward unless we press movement button [WASD]

3. Yeah the fall damage is ridiculous, even normal human with parkour ability can drop down unscathed, but Geralt a mutant with superhuman strength is that wik xD , but you can counter the fall damage by tapping twice on jump button.

4. Map icons not showing is YES very annoying, I once spent like 10 minutes looking for barber and ended up searching on google, players can't be expected to remember every single npc's place even after visiting them multiple times, unlike real life places, the sense of direction in a game is not the same as real life, and is limited by textures/colors and might look the same.

5. Inventory really needs improvement, more tabs would help separating books and other usables like edibles and alchemy stuffs.

6. I hate the loading time after death too, even on PC, some other games can load quite instant or less time.

7. It's there but I'm not annoyed by it.

8. Not annoyed by this one as well.

9. On PC I can run from combat by tapping twice on [Shift] button, like galloping for horse.

10. Fast travel anywhere without visiting Sign Post ? I second that.

11. Never have that one and I always check my Quest List often when progressing mainstory at "Failed" section and reload if progressing mainstory makes some quests failed.

12. Agree on this one, should also inform us which NPCs we have visited still hold a Gwent card, using markers on the world map when the quest is activated.

Personally I'd still give the game 10/10 and can forgive the annoyances, but they still have to be fixed, especialy for the most annoying ones like random crash/freeze. Totally agree about the story, characters and the quests, be it sidequest, main quest, or just random short quest, it doesn't feel generic, varied, and well presented.

Honestly, I only read your combat comments so far and I hate to be that guy, but your problems seem to boil down to L2P. You're having difficulty on the 2nd easiest difficulty. My biggest problem with the game is that it's too easy, I played my first play through on Blood & Bones. Not long through I was kicking myself for not picking Death March. This has to be the easiest RPG I've played in some time.

When fighting multiple enemies, DON'T USE TARGET. In fact, I never use it, but it can be handy in 1v1s.

It also sounds like you're using dodge roll too much. I found that regular dodge will do the job 95% of the time. I only needed dodge roll against some bosses that had a larger reach. Regular dodge does not use stamina unlike dodge roll, so if you learn to use regular dodge more often, you'll have more stamina for signs. Don't just dodge backwards, which sounds like what you're doing if you're still getting hit. Strafe dodging to the sides will be more effective. Dodge, learn it, use it, love it.

When dealing with groups, keep moving and don't get surrounded and take out the archers first, it's that simple. If you're still struggling, use your crossbow and pull one enemy at a time until you get more confident dealing with groups. You'll get to a point where you'll be jumping in the thick of it throwing caution to wind.

In regards to Gerald moving slow when in combat mode, yes it can be annoying, but if you really have to, use shift and run. Not a huge issue. I will say that not being able to jump in combat can cause issues in some situations.

Finally, Quen is your best friend.

Oh, one other thing. Double press jump before you hit the ground and you won't take damage from most falls unless you fall from great heights.

I think if you picked up some of these tips along the way, you wouldn't have given such an average review.

Last edited:
Honestly, I only read your combat comments so far and I hate to be that guy, but your problems seem to boil down to L2P. You're having difficulty on the 2nd easiest difficulty. My biggest problem with the game is that it's too easy, I played my first play through on Blood & Bones. Not long through I was kicking myself for not picking Death March. This has to be the easiest RPG I've played in some time.

When fighting multiple enemies, DON'T USE TARGET. In fact, I never use it, but it can be handy in 1v1s.

It also sounds like you're using dodge roll too much. I found that regular dodge will do the job 95% of the time. I only needed dodge roll against some bosses that had a larger reach. Regular dodge does not use stamina unlike dodge roll, so if you learn to use regular dodge more often, you'll have more stamina for signs. Don't just dodge backwards, which sounds like what you're doing if you're still getting hit. Strafe dodging to the sides will be more effective. Dodge, learn it, use it, love it.

When dealing with groups, keep moving and don't get surrounded and take out the archers first, it's that simple. If you're still struggling, use your crossbow and pull one enemy at a time until you get more confident dealing with groups. You'll get to a point where you'll be jumping in the thick of it throwing caution to wind.

In regards to Gerald moving slow when in combat mode, yes it can be annoying, but if you really have to, use shift and run. Not a huge issue. I will say that not being able to jump in combat can cause issues in some situations.

Finally, Quen is your best friend.

Oh, one other thing. Double press jump before you hit the ground and you won't take damage from most falls unless you fall from great heights.

If I think if you picked up some of these tips along the way, you wouldn't have given such an average review.
I picked up on much of those. WHile its true that the combat became less of an issue as I levelled up and got a feel for things, I succeeded inspite of it, not because of it.

However, you should read the remainder of my complaints because they added alltogether many extra hours of tedious crap that wasn't needed.

As I said, all of it can be fixed or improved with DLC.

From what I read in your complaints, I agree with point 4. I also having a little bit difficulties with that as well. But as for combat, this is a major improvement from the first two in the series in my humble opinion. I know that combat in TW3 relies heavily on player's skill, but as far as my 50-60 hours more or less in the game, I temporary conclude that TW3's combat is easier than TW2. If you are familiar with the previous two in the series' combat system, you'll understand what I mean.

If you feel like dodging could not create enough space to avoid your enemies, there's still the roll button. Dodging and counterattacking needs a good sense of timing. If you are fighting a group (more than 3 enemies, usually wolves, drowners, nekkers) never ever ever use the lock button. The lock button works better only if you are facing less than 3 enemies at once, even though I honestly prefer not using it at all. If you want to chase enemies just release the blocking and press shift, Geralt will run. If you want to attack an enemy who's quite far from you, try rolling and attacking. Tight spots are a challenge, yes, I agree, but again it relies heavily on the player's skill. I'm playing Blood and Broken Bones mode, and I just have to admit that I died WOW A LOT. Hahaha

The combat is like a combination of TW1's system which relies on timing with TW2's skill-reliant combat and add more style into it. I personally love TW3's combat system, and for me it's the best of all three.

A few replies to your comments:
1. combat was frustrating to get used to at first but on my second playthrough im starting to get the hang of it better. once you learn the dodge timing things get a lot easier. i know what you mean about it sucking in tight spaces, but that doesnt happen too often. also you have to read the enemies attack and dodge accordingly. sometimes its better to go right or left instead of back etc. The auto combat stance does get really frustrating at times and i had to reload in mutliple instances. for example there was a a glitch at kaer mohran vs wild hunt where i could not hit the lever to open gate because geralt was constantly in combat stance. the only solution was to kill everyone nearby quickly and try to accomplish objective before they respawn.

2. i had problems with this at first, ie running past horse or not being able to stay on platforms but once i got used to the controls it barely happend.

3. this is hard to explain as well. you can reduce damage by rolling before hitting ground but it does seem like geralt takes a lot more damage than he should even from small falls.

4. this. probably one of the most annoying things outside of the auto combat stance. there were many times when i was looking for blacksmith but was just not available. it was not that they werent out at that time just that i had to be closer to that area for the icon to appear even though ive already used it multiple times. this sucks when trying to repair or craft gear before going into battle.

5. another annoyance yes. they need to have more sorting options as all the inventory just piles up and unless you are constantly selling off /dropping stuff it can become a huge cluster at some point.

6. load times after dying were absolutely horrendous on PS4. i strated timing with a stop watch and was averaging 60-65 seconds loading after death. this makes the penalty for dying that much more. some areas i died over and over on and this really extended the encounter.

7. i never had a problem with this. sometimes had issues with interacting with candles instead of the action but usually i just had to reposition myself. also this was resolved in the most recent patch.

8. i didnt use crossbow much. it was only useful for flying/swimming enemies.

9. this. again it led to some bad situations. i am just trying to run away but now have to sidestep or cant jump a fence. and get mauled to death.

10. i didnt mind the fast travel system.

11. i hate failed quests but i only got 5-6 of them. this is the nature of a game like this where decision affect the plot. you cannot do every single thing because some consquences lock out other results. though i did have a few times where i just failed a quest and didnt know why. tming is really important. for example i was going to give the crystal from radovid quest to triss but apparently once i already unlocked her a matter of life and death quest, everytime i approached her it would want to start that quest even if i had something else selected.

12. my first runthrough i kind of ignored gwent. second time im doing more of them. i can see how this could be upsetting for completionists as you cannot progress the story past a part you know you have to win if you want that card. for example, the mask banquet during triss quest.

this was one of the best games i played in a while. playing on blood and broken bones is a lot more interesting for me than it was on story and sword. it really forces me to upgrade everything before approaching dangerous situations. im constantly applying oils to sword and brewing potions before i run into combat. also getting the witcher gear makes a big difference and geralt does not look like a lumberjack

Last edited:
I get some of the points you make, but some of them are based on personal preference. For example I love Witcher 3's combat system, but I hate Batman's combat system.
But your complaints about small problems are a bit ridiculous considering the scope of the game and how great and beautiful the world is, and how many things were done right in the Witcher 3.
You're giving a game that most agree to be one of the best RPGs that has ever been made a 7/10, because of some minor camera and gameplay issues and so forth.
I can't take your score seriously.

Top Bottom