When can we expect more game footage?

+
Geraltofbsas said:
Actually there is a ton of information about the gameplay, except its written or mentioned, and not in trailers.

And i think thats the best way to explain gameplay anyway, to talk about it, in a video you can barely see and understand all the systems that work behind it,

Now of course, the best would be gameplay footage with dev commentary on top, but thats probably going to come with the developer diaries, not with trailers logically.

I want to see it to believe it. I will NOT believe everything CDPR say just because they're CDPR. There are a ton of things that can go wrong in an open world game WITH emphasis on story. The two don't really go together traditionally. You can say whatever you like about BioWare but so far we have received almost one hour of gameplay footage AND interviews. I am not asking CDPR to do the same, merely to show us 5 minutes of the actual game with no fancy trailer edits, just pure commentated gameplay footage.

Cormacolindor said:
I want to see it to believe it. I will NOT believe everything CDPR say just because they're CDPR. There are a ton of things that can go wrong in an open world game WITH emphasis on story. The two don't really go together traditionally. You can say whatever you like about BioWare but so far we have received almost one hour of gameplay footage AND interviews. I am not asking CDPR to do the same, merely to show us 5 minutes of the actual game with no fancy trailer edits, just pure commentated gameplay footage.
I don't consider Bioware games to be open world RPGs, They are more of linear story driven sand box games. In Mass Effect and even Dragon age, there are main roads that are branched off and you can only stay on them. For example if you see a mountain, you can't just wander off the road and climb it, you have to stay on the road kind of like Witcher 2. Witcher 3 is going be a story driven Skyrim open world style of game. I'm not sure about Dragon Age 3, but from the footage I've seen it's similar to DA 2.

Shawnkh said:
I don't consider Bioware games to be open world RPGs, They are more of linear story driven sand box games. In Mass Effect and even Dragon age, there are main roads that are branched off and you can only stay on them. For example if you see a mountain, you can't just wander off the road and climb it, you have to stay on the road kind of like Witcher 2. Witcher 3 is going be a story driven Skyrim open world style of game. I'm not sure about Dragon Age 3, but from the footage I've seen it's similar to DA 2.

Correct, it won't be truly open world. It will be like DA:O, where you can use the map to go between areas. Except these areas are much bigger now.

Cormacolindor said:

I agree with you, and i do follow you into this sort of cautious disbelief land, but at the same time, i think CDPRED dont really have this kind of big pressure and burden that other much more famous and historic devs do have, like Bioware. They dont have to "prove" stuff, or fix something, or regain trust from their fans.

I mean, I think most of us can agree that if CDPRED would've decided to just do another game similar to witcher 2 for the witcher 3, imagine it with better graphics and a bit longer maybe, not many people would've seriously complained about it for not being much more ambitious, yet it is trying to be like that, even when it didnt need it. So whats my point?

CDPRED had no "obligation" to take the risk of setting up this incredibly ambitious and huge goal for themselves and to make claims that they were going to achieve it, but they did that, even with all the problems they had with the development of the two previous games, and with their small team, with their short life as a AAA dev studio, and with the super stupid and unecessary risk that is to promise things you arent sure about yet for no reason, so imo they must be pretty damn confident about it, and i dare to say its probably all implemented already as we speak.

I dont just blindly believe everything they say, but considering some of these factors, i think its very likely we will get most of what they promise. Plus, this is CDPRED at their best; huge problems and inconveniences from before are not here now, and the team is more experienced and prepared than ever to do it.

Still though, i want those dev diaries to start appearing ASAP.

E3 2014 , in June . I hope they show it before at GDC , otherwise once again they'll be at Microsoft's stage to show the demo . The more they stay away from these corporations the better .
On other hand as much as I like to see Witcher 3's gameplay , it is understandable that lot of gamers from COD generation whine without realizing that game is still in development so of course there will be few glitches here and there . So it is understandable that devs are not showing anything right now but I think they should at least release some kind of dev diaries to share few things with their core audience .
What pisses me off is that , they have shown 45 mins demo already to critics .

Umair2012 said:
E3 2014 , in June . I hope they show it before at GDC , otherwise once again they'll be at Microsoft's stage to show the demo . The more they stay away from these corporations the better .
On other hand as much as I like to see Witcher 3's gameplay , it is understandable that lot of gamers from COD generation whine without realizing that game is still in development so of course there will be few glitches here and there . So it is understandable that devs are not showing anything right now but I think they should at least release some kind of dev diaries to share few things with their core audience .
What pisses me off is that , they have shown 45 mins demo already to critics .

Agreed, new footage at E3 in June sounds very likely, my guess is that it will be a very calm period without news before that. Also agreed on the nitpicking, being critical is not a bad thing, but no developer wants endless posts about how texture x or y looks slightly less detailed. That said, some interviews or reveals without actual footage would be great too, let the developers explain their dream and vision for the game.

frynse said:
And I know, "patience" or "it'll be out when it's ready" yada yada etc. but c'mon, CDPR, we're not gonna bite your heads off if the gameplay you show us isn't 100% super duper ultra triple perfect without flaws. Well, some might, but haters gonna hate.

I shall direct you to threads discussing previous trailers. People were able to complain, nitpick and dive into speculation over bits of gameplay that were around 1.2 second long each. So I don't agree. The more perfect and polished the game is when they release an extensive gameplay footage to wide audience the better.

So many times you can hear people complaining that trailers lie, give false promises and false impression about the final game(which in reality is worse than it seems to be from tailers). I don't know why CDPR should feel inclined to release footage they feel could make people think of the game different than they would like them to think.

gregski said:
I shall direct you to threads discussing previous trailers. People were able to complain, nitpick and dive into speculation over bits of gameplay that were around 1.2 second long each. So I don't agree. The more perfect and polished the game is when they release an extensive gameplay footage to wide audience the better.

So many times you can hear people complaining that trailers lie, give false promises and false impression about the final game(which in reality is worse than it seems to be from tailers). I don't know why CDPR should feel inclined to release footage they feel could make people think of the game different than they would like them to think.

People will always complain no matter how good the footage is, releasing trailers as late as possible because of that reason is a bad strategy. CD Projekt can release a few trailers a month before launch and those will be as good as can be, wether that is good for maintaining interest and hype...not so much.

It is not just the lack of trailers for me personally though, it is the lack of everything. Keeping completely silent for many months on end is rather strange for a company that says they want to pleaese their fans.

501105 said:
It is not just the lack of trailers for me personally though, it is the lack of everything. Keeping completely silent for many months on end is rather strange for a company that says they want to pleaese their fans.

I'm puzzled on you thinking they're "keeping completely silent"?
There have been interviews most weeks. These were in the last few days before the Christmas break.
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37735-tvgrypl-interview-with-bartlomiej-gawel-pawel-sasko-and-jakub-szamalek/
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37713-some-new-information/

dragonbird said:
There have been interviews most weeks. These were in the last few days before the Christmas break.
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37735-tvgrypl-interview-with-bartlomiej-gawel-pawel-sasko-and-jakub-szamalek/

I suppose I should have worded that a bit better, I mean the silence between the community and CD Projekt itself. Every few months a red pops their head in and out but that is basically it in general. Though I would not count a few interviews that will soon make place for more silence (I assume) all that great either, though it is something, I will give you that one.

Edit: come to think of it, some people asked about a fan interview a fair while ago on the board. It was shelved for being something for a few months later down the line to be never mentioned again.

FoggyFishburne said:
Hopefully never.

I'm just so fucking tired of the graphics idiots crying about pixels and shit. Can't stand seeing any more of those posts on any forum.
Those idiots hadnt seen the uncompresed version btw why does cdp showing the compresed ?
in the uncompresed there are no antileasing flaws no things that looking like an alpha (what it is actually) it looks amazing (VGX Trailer)

Agent_Blue

dragonbird said:

To be honest, their latest interviews have been an exercise in rehashing.
In fact, if I had to pinpoint a flaw, albeit minor, in their PR strategy I'd cite pointless interviews. If you have nothing new or relevant to say, don't bother. Practice Tai Chi instead.

This is eloquently illustrated by the fact that despite the profusion of interviews we still know close to nothing about the two major gameplay innovations, monster hunting and focus mode.

Agent_Blue

gregski said:

There is one point that needs to be addressed, though it is bound to revisit threads like this like a comet:

Nitpicking.

The working definition seems to be «the act of someone complaining about things I myself couldn't care less». Some people dislike horned helmets yet seem to have no problem with a boundless inventory and vice versa. Others pay due notice to Geralt's hair colour or the shape of his irises but don't seem to be as vehemently opposed to his horse materializing out of nowhere.

I am mystified by the use of «nitpicking» as a way to dismiss someone's complaint. It is as though if one can't think of anything to rebut it then labelling it «nitpicking» will miraculously do it. And why on Earth, oh why on Earth dear goodness, would one not call Dev's attention to minute flaws, shortcomings and little details that could use improvement? Just what sort of good would that possibly accomplish, hey?

Let's review each complaint and proposed solution on their merits alone.
Please check the self-serving labelling at the door.

AgentBlue said:
Additionally, if indeed one's main interest is story and characters, then chances are one's played previous titles and has already been persuaded to buy TW3. Either way, one is not the target audience for a trailer.

Or one is unapologetically keen on graphics and naturally yearns for all the graphical goodies, bells and whistles the trailer can possibly deliver. Evidently, anything less than stellar just won't cut it and one shan't be satisfied by or found exerting benevolence towards merely acceptable footage.

This is especially true in the case of prospective newcomers to the series who have no emotional attachment to neither story nor characters and are thus less prone to overlook any graphical shortcomings in what's heralded as a next-gen RPG.

The trailer must be pristine. Otherwise, why bother?

Good point. There's no point in marketing the game to people like myself, who are 100% going to get the game, no matter what.

CDPR needs to market their game to the people who know nothing about the Witcher, or who are on the fence about getting it. They need to lure in that group of people by making everything look amazing with as little flaws as possible. Give them a beer and a back massage.

That's the safest thing to do anyway.

Because you know there are some people out there who won't buy the game, or even give it a second look because they didn't like the way that Geralt jumped in the presentation they saw, or something else trivial like that.

I think we can expect a solid gameplay presentation when they have an optimized build of the game.

I totally understand that you guys simply cannot wait to see some new footage from The Witcher 3, but I must ask you for a little bit more patience. Who knows, we might get a few new screenshots by the end of this month;)

Top Bottom