Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
That's not whole. Later in the video you see it whole.....Can someone post a velen map of same scale to compare the size?

Yeah I know. But it shows the full size of the map in the bottom right. And I like this view the best as it shows most of the important bits, and I feel like it's easier to read stuff in this image than the one at the end since it appears to be zoomed out a bit more.

EDIT: In regards to comparative size I'm not sure you could do that accurately because you would have to know it's zoomed out exactly the same amount for an accurate comparison, and I'm not sure that the zoom functions don't scale to the size of the map for each region. I've heard a few different claims about the size of the map. All of Skellige Isles (not including water obviously) combined. I think the Toussaint trailer compared it to the size of "Velen or Ard Skellige." So I'm just going to go with it's big.

Last edited:
Yeah I know. But it shows the full size of the map in the bottom right. And I like this view the best as it shows most of the important bits, and I feel like it's easier to read stuff in this image than the one at the end since it appears to be zoomed out a bit more.
Someone on Reddit compared the size with White Orchard. He used the thickness of the roads as reference.

Iorveth in the bottom left corner hiding behind the post. I know it's been confirmed he's not in. But that seems interesting to me. The other apparent characters already said to be in Blood and Wine are in that area too (Anna, Regis and the Lady of the Lake).
Adda, Yaevinn and de Aldersberg are in there too...

Great image from gamespot article:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-dev-celebrates-games-one-year-anniversar/1100-6439960/

I could be wrong, but that sure looks like

Iorveth in the bottom left corner hiding behind the post. I know it's been confirmed he's not in. But that seems interesting to me. The other apparent characters already said to be in Blood and Wine are in that area too (Anna, Regis and the Lady of the Lake).

These are characters from Witcher 1-3. You can also see Kalkstein, Berenger, Siegfried, de Aldersberg etc. All characters which are dead or possibly dead.

Anyone else notice the red bar under the yellow stamina one? I wonder what that's for?

The potion icons also aren't super massive anymore, instead they're added more organically under the health bar.

Last edited:
Great interviews with Karolina Stachyra:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016...e_with_the_witcher_3_developer_cd_projekt_red

Interview: Partaking in Blood and Wine with The Witcher 3 Developer CD Projekt Red

Blood and Wine is a big deal for CD Projekt Red, the Polish studio behind The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The title's second and final expansion, Blood and Wine launches at the end of this month, on the 31st May. In order to learn more about it and listen to the developer's own thoughts on the project, we got in touch with senior writer Karolina Stachyra. In the interview below, we discuss the expansion's production and what we can expect from it as players.

Push Square: To start with, can you tell us what Blood and Wine is about? What can players expect from this expansion?

Karolina Stachyra: Blood and Wine is our farewell to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – the last and biggest expansion to the game. It took us a year to make, it's 30 hours long, huge, and we're proud as hell! We're packing it with as much content as possible (over 90 new quests, a new dynamic Point of Interest system) as well as new mechanics that extend the longevity of the game like Mutations, which really supercharge New Game + with new possibilities. There's a ton of stuff to uncover here.
In the plot department, it's a true Witcher story. There's this land of summer, Toussaint. Untouched by war, full of wandering knights and nobles never leaving their homes without a wine glass in their hand. Still, you have this feeling that something's wrong. And, oh boy there is. Underneath that lies a web of secrets, people start dying and the locals just don't have the capacity to handle that. And here's where Geralt, and the players, come in.

The Witcher games have been around for almost 10 years now, and many fans have grown attached to Geralt and his adventures. Blood and Wine is supposedly his last contract, bringing an end to his saga. Was it difficult to create an ending for Geralt? Was it difficult for you, as developers, to say goodbye?

Technically speaking, what you saw in Wild Hunt was the ending, as Blood and Wine (and Hearts of Stone) is a separate story. But I understand the nature of your question and yes, it was difficult, it's always difficult to produce a satisfying ending to something really grand. However, on the other hand, we are also very eager to express our ideas in a totally different setting.

The Witcher 3's previous expansion, Hearts of Stone, played host to some of the game's best characters in Gaunter O'Dimm and Olgierd von Everec. Can we expect to see any similarly prominent characters here? Can you tell us if any characters from the main game will be returning for this final expansion?

Yes, definitely, you can expect characters as fun and complex as O'Dimm or Olgierd. I think it's our thing to create characters who have something more to offer than a few lines of dialogue that point you to a quest marker. Blood and Wine is no different and does feature an array of characters like that. However, I wouldn't like to get into details before gamers actually get a chance to play the expansion and talk to these characters themselves.

Is it any easier to write a more cohesive story in expansions like Blood and Wine, as opposed to the main game, which is so huge? Is it easier to focus on certain elements in a smaller project like Blood and Wine?

I think working on expansions is just different. On one hand, you do have the experience from developing the base game, but, on the other, you raise the bar for yourself because you want this to be even better than the base game or the previous expansion. Plus, you really have a limited amount of time to develop all that. Blood and Wine is about 30 hours of new adventures, but that includes a totally new realm to explore. We needed to create entirely new assets because Toussaint, and its capital Beauclair, have a totally different feel to what gamers saw in Wild Hunt and Hearts of Stone. Even the architecture is different.

Blood and Wine takes place in Toussaint, a location that hasn't yet featured in The Witcher series of games. Why did you pick Toussaint as a setting, and what sort of environments will we be exploring?

Toussaint is this peaceful land untouched by war, where everyone lives in relative comfort and focuses on the pleasures of life. We chose it because it's a great contrast to what you saw in Wild Hunt, to all that dirty and brutal reality where you need to struggle to survive. Toussaint is the exact opposite – there's the rich old elven palace in Beauclair humans now occupy, there are plenty of vineyards, and you get the general impression that leaving your home without a glass of wine in your hand and a smile on your face is something out of place. And then people start dying. A beast starts killing nobles and they just don't have the resources to handle that. They need Geralt. And this is where the players come in.

We assume that Geralt will be dealing with nobility during his time in Toussaint, and nobles in The Witcher seem to love wearing fancy clothes. We were just wondering, how do you come up with the extravagant clothing designs? What references do you tend to use?

Every region in our game is influenced by some place real. In Wild Hunt, you had Skellige, which was inspired by Nordic and Celtic mythos, and Novigrad, which was very medieval-Amsterdam inspired. In Blood and Wine, in terms of architecture, you'll definitely find a lot of Italy and France. As for the clothing, the pattern is very similar – we try to see what worked in that era or region and adapt it so it looks genuine in our game. Plus, I think we have super talented people on board who, if they weren't working in video games, would definitely be the next big thing on the runways!

Being the final expansion, will Blood and Wine offer a greater challenge than Geralt's previous adventures? Is there a recommended level for Geralt to be at before starting the expansion, and will it be playable before finishing the story of the main game?

Oh my, even more difficult? Hearts of Stone was pretty hardcore at times! We're definitely adding a lot to the end game experience, if that's what you're asking. We've introduced this special mutation system that allows you to unlock powerful effects for Geralt and further customise your build. You'll have to spend a lot of skill points to get everything unlocked though, so you'll probably be playing with that in New Game + the most. As for the recommended level, yeah, it's very similar to Hearts of Stone, you need to be on level 30-something to have fun. If you're not, much like in Hearts of Stone, we've got a special game mode that will launch the expansion with a leveled up Geralt with unallocated skill points you can distribute yourself.

Will there be new equipment to find and loot in Blood and Wine? Will there be any new systems that can be used to power Geralt up, like the Runewright in Hearts of Stone?

Yes, we've prepared new gear for Geralt. Plus, we've included a whole new level for witcher gear. And I did mention mutations, right? What's super cool though is Corvo Bianco – Geralt's very own vineyard. We decided that if he were to ever retire, he'd want to do that in Toussaint. Players will be able to upgrade it for various in-game buffs, you'll be able to put prize items on display, and a lot of other cool stuff.

Of course, we cant possibly talk about The Witcher without at least mentioning romance. Will Geralt be involved in any adventures of a more romantic nature in Blood and Wine?

My lips need to remain sealed about this but... [cough] Yes [cough].

Finally, we have to ask: do you have any other plans for The Witcher after Blood and Wine? Will there be any future game updates, or anything like that?

I think we need to rest a bit! But should some bugs be discovered after we launch, we always have the community's back.

http://gamingbolt.com/the-witcher-3-blood-and-wine-interview-geralts-final-quest

The Witcher 3 Blood And Wine Interview: Geralt’s Final Quest

Saying goodbye is never easy. Just ask Geralt of Rivia who had to do it a number of times in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, regardless of the choices made. It’s going to be even tougher for fans of last year’s critically acclaimed open world action RPG to say goodbye to our favourite witcher. That being said, CD Projekt RED is preparing an amazing send-off for the White Wolf in Blood and Wine, releasing on May 31st for Xbox One, PS4 and PC. There’s plenty to look forward to including a new region Toussaint that’s just fraught with danger.

GamingBolt had a chance to speak to CD Projekt RED senior writer Karolina Stachyra about the various aspects of Blood and Wine, it’s overall length and what players can look forward to.

Several awards later, we are finally on to the last piece of content for what is this generation’s greatest game. How do you feel?

Karolina Stachyra: Flattered that you’re calling Wild Hunt this generation’s greatest game, that’s for sure! We feel great, it’s the last stretch, so we’re tired, but definitely feel great. Blood and Wine is Geralt’s final adventure, and we have some really awesome stuff up our sleeves to send him off with a bang!

With the support that Hearts of Stone received, what’s the current studio vibe with Blood and Wine? Did anything change in development or was there a desire to go even “bigger” than before?

Karolina Stachyra: Making Blood and Wine bigger than Hearts of Stone was the plan all along. When we announced the expansions way back, we estimated that Hearts of Stone would provide about 10 hours of content, and Blood and Wine would double that. I mean, we’re introducing a whole new region after all ** it needs to be filled with the stuff The Witcher fans love: quests, monster hunts and secrets when they’re on the road.

What can you tell us about Toussaint at this stage and how it will play into The Witcher 3‘s universe?

Karolina Stachyra: You know how we like to play with convention, right? Hearts of Stone was full of stuff a witcher would not normally do ** a wedding? Deals with the devil? Toussaint is kind of like that. It seemingly doesn’t fit The Witcher world ** it’s just so… happy. They don’t have an army, only wandering knights, they’re always drinking wine and not caring about anything, really. And this is where it gets twisted: death comes to the land of summer, things start happening, people are dying. Guess who they’re gonna call? And it’s only the tip of the iceberg.

With this a major new area for The Witcher 3, what kind of scale can players look forward to? Is it more along the lines of Velen or scattered like Skellige?

Karolina Stachyra: It’s going to be big. Remember the feeling you got when when it dawned on you Velen is not the only place you’ll traverse in Wild Hunt, when you saw Skellige? I’m not comparing both in sizes, just trying to work on your imagination. Hopefully, you’ll feel that again.

Hearts of Stone was praised for the design of its side quests and story missions, especially with regards to their unique nature. What kind of unique scenarios can be expected in Blood and Wine?

Karolina Stachyra: For those of you who had not yet finished Hearts of Stone, beware, here be spoilers! The story told in Hearts of Stone was divided into distinctive parts: first you made the deal with Mr. Mirror, then there was the wedding, then the heist, and the Mansion. Although each of them propelled the story somehow, they were not exactly connected with each other. It’s different in Blood and Wine. BaW is not broken up into distinctive pieces, but more seamless in the way the narrative flows. It plays with you, twists things when you expect that the least. And it’s definitely more grim, despite Toussaint itself is very fairy tale in nature.

What kind of new mechanics can be expected in Blood and Wine? Will there be anything like Runewords? For that matter, will we see new types of Runewords?

Karolina Stachyra: One of the new mechanics that I like are witcher armor dyes. For me, being a witcher means always being on the road. You have your gear, your swords, your potions. It’s you and the unknown, right? What I love about dying your stuff is the sense of personalization it adds to that on* the *road experience. I know that’s an out* of *place comparison, but it’s a bit like soldiers customizing their equipment. Geralt’s not a soldier, but he’s a professional, he does that, too. That really adds to the RPG experience for me.

What kinds of new Gwent cards can players expect, if there are any at all?

Karolina Stachyra: Ever wanted to play with a Skellige deck? Well, I know from a well informed source that soon you’ll be able to!

The length of an expansion is always questioned in this day and age but CD Projekt RED proved that value is as important with Hearts of Stone. What will be the goal with Blood and Wine given its relatively larger size?

Karolina Stachyra: We estimate that it will take gamers about 30 hours to finish the main story arc of Blood and Wine.

What kind of new content can be expected after the release of Blood and Wine? Will support continue till 2016 end?

Karolina Stachyra: We’ll definitely support the game as a whole. In terms of expansions, Blood and Wine is Geralt’s final quest.

Can fans expect an Enhanced Edition of The Witcher 3 to release later this year with all the expansions include?

Karolina Stachyra: Oh, this not a question for me, really.

With this being the final expansion pack, is it time to say good bye to our good old Geralt of Rivia?

Karolina Stachyra: This is Geralt’s final quest, yes. But there’s a ton of stuff you can dig into like comic books (House of Glass and Fox Children), you’ve got the board game, which is pretty cool. And, if you’re like me, you can always re*-read the books! *laughs*

You have slowly but surely started to speak a bit about Cyberpunk 2077. Now I won’t push you to reveal all of it, but how different is it from The Witcher experience?

Karolina Stachyra: Let’s see… it’s in the future, it doesn’t have Geralt as the main character, and it’s not set in a fantasy world (although the world is fantastic!). Does that answer your question? *laughs*

Is there anything else you want to tell us to The Witcher 3 fans before we let you go?

Karolina Stachyra: We love you guys and gals! Thank you for playing The Witcher and I hope you’ll have an amazing time playing Blood and Wine!

There is one answer specifically I am excited enough about to give extra attention:
For those of you who had not yet finished Hearts of Stone, beware, here be spoilers! The story told in Hearts of Stone was divided into distinctive parts: first you made the deal with Mr. Mirror, then there was the wedding, then the heist, and the Mansion. Although each of them propelled the story somehow, they were not exactly connected with each other. It’s different in Blood and Wine. BaW is not broken up into distinctive pieces, but more seamless in the way the narrative flows. It plays with you, twists things when you expect that the least. And it’s definitely more grim, despite Toussaint itself is very fairy tale in nature.
[emphasis added with underline]

Last edited:
It's unfortunate the new mechanics seem to be geared for NG+ This is what I was afraid of - that they would encourage level grinding rather then replayability. In way I understand, they can't rehaul the whole system and they need to freshen combat up somehow. But still, a new difficulty mode for instance would have been preferable.

Top Bottom