+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice comment from a fan on tumblr

Is Yen a female version of Geralt?
=

With a bigger balls :pride2:

Is Yen a female version of Geralt?
Considering her characteristic for Geralt from the books (the one about him not being able to save Ciri, about his recklessness etc., see her talk with Crach) I don't think so. Also, Geralt is rather caring for strangers he meets, he has a lot of friends, while Yennefer visibly cares only for those who she truly loves\likes (that's why her probably only known friend is Triss, maybe Margarita too, but there never was a strong emphasis on this, at least they seem to get on).
On the opposite, they really share a lot of similarities in personality, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them alike. What really unites them is probably some kind of tiredness, wish for calm life.

Yennefer has strange friends among sorceresess you can be absolutely sure there are hidden intentions and provocations because all of them (except Philippa) are terribly jealous of Yen, including Triss. All of them want Geralt even if it is just for one night. Ok Philippa would gladly jump on Yennefer but Geralt has nothing to fear

Last edited:
What about the pregnant woman on the boat in Skellige, those women there were pretty rude to her - Yen was in love with that woman too?
That's why I wrote visibly. You won't deny that she has conflicts with almost all of Geralt's friends she meets - both in books and games. I don't intend to say she is a bad person. She is just the type to have few friends because of her harsh attitude to people she contacts with. And only those who are able to withstand it may become her friends.

Geralt is rather caring for strangers he meets, he has a lot of friends, while Yennefer visibly cares only for those who she truly loves\likes.

There's a difference between strangers and strangers in need. Yenna helps on many ocassions when it's necessary.

They really share a lot of similarities in personality.

Wow... I can't believe what I'm reading right now. I'm confused, not sure if this was supposed to be sarcastic or not.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if thit was supposed to be sarcastic or not.
It was not.

There's a huge difference between strangers and strangers in need.
Sure. But Geralt gets on well with both, while Yennefer can help strangers in need, but hardly would get on with ordinary strangers.

helps on many ocassions when it's necessary.
Please remind me, which ones, except for pregnant woman and Dandelion in the Last Wish (when she helped with some kind of payback)?

I was basically complaining yesterday because every single character in Witcher 3 is like, “YENNEFER. EWW. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THAT BITCH?”
And I’m like “Dude? Seriously?”
This is pretty much how people respond to Yennefer in the books, because they don’t understand her, and they look at her as an “evil wicked witch” in black.
It’s the same way people think witchers are evil. It’s the same way Geralt is often treated like crap or with superstition, fear, and hatred.This is why he was drawn to her in the first place: she is someone to commiserate with.
Yennefer is just a female version of Geralt: misunderstood, magical, sarcastic, speaks her mind, and seemingly “cold” but with a warm heart – as evidenced by the fact that she loves Ciri more than her own life.
But people see a woman acting “out of her assigned gender role” and hate her. Because women are supposed to be meek and vacuous and cry and constantly need rescuing. It disgusts me.

Good post, and the last line nailed it pretty good...!

Yen=Geralt is an interesting thought . They share many similarities.
And people of the same kind stick together
Maybe in one of the addons, geralt will release his fury against pretty flowers too :p

I like this quote (thanks to OptoNick) from Season of Storms where Lytta is asking Geralt why Yen?

Oh. Let it be so. I ask you then. What caused that it was Yennefer. Yennefer and no other? Could you describe it, name it?

-If this is object of a bet...

-It's not object of a bet. Why Yennefer of Vengerberg?

Mozaïk showed up like a shadow. With new carafe. And cookies. Geralt looked her in eyes. She immediately turned her head away.

- Why Yennefer - he repeated, looking at Mozaïk. - Why exactly her? I will tell you sincerely. I don't know. There are such women... One look is enough...

Mozaïk opened her mouth, moved her head slightly. Negatively and with terror. She knew. And begged that he would stop. But the game was too far gone.

-There are women - he was still wandering with his eyes over the girl's figure - which attract. Like a magnet. That you can't take your eyes off.

but he is whining in W3 when Yennefer use it

Well, not really whining but he does not like it and he have doubts about using necromancy
But right, he should acts differently at this point because he was a part of necromancy himself.

Or maybe it was an "Amnesia Thing" in Witcher 2 , he wasn't really himself, so that's why he wasn't so strict against it.

There are such women... One look is enough...

Riiiiiiiight...... :D

Edit :
@carlos2033

I was thinking, and it was not really necromancy.
The body was still dead and not resurrected.
Geralt "only" went through the dead bodies memories. Looked through his eyes

Last edited:
I was thinking, and it was not really necromancy.
The body was still dead and not resurrected.
Geralt "only" went through the dead bodies memories. Looked through his eyes
Maybe but Dethmold say it`s necromancy and Geralt was part of it
Well in W3 Geralt is standing there and watching how Yennefer revive body to extract information to find about Ciri
Necromancy is a magic spell which is used to reanimate a corpse temporarily, usually to extract important information. The practice is banned by the Brotherhood of Sorcerers.
While in W2 Geralt drink potion and goes in some sort of sleep to see through assasins eyes, maybe Dethmold revive body too but Geralt don`t see it, i mean we don`t actually see what Dethmold is doing while Geralt is asleep

Last edited:
Please remind me, which ones, except for pregnant woman and Dandelion in the Last Wish (when she helped with some kind of payback)?

Ok, except them:

- Dandelion in Blood of Elves
- Giancardi's family during the pogrom in Vengerberg
- Tissaia during the Thanedd coup (which turned out a big mistake)
- Majority of the crew from ships which brought her to Sedna Abyss

BTW, maybe only Nenneke and her girls, and Zoltan are bigger altruists than her over there, basing on described facts :)

----------------

Speaking about her necromancy stuff in TW3: looks like CDPR were inspired by necromancy scene from 'Road with no Return' - Visenna's spell acted awfully similar :)

Last edited:
I still think it was no real necromancy. Detmold was to weak for that.
No comparison to our mighty yen
Of course Dethmold is shit compared to Yennefer
Geralt need to drink potions and you even can fail if you step on trap
But like i said, geralt should act a bit differently when it comes to the necromancy in Witcher 3.
Because he maybe was part of it himself.
If he is forget here is reminder
Achievement from W2

Necromancer - Help Dethmold in his Necromantic ritual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom