'Classic' Gameplay Mode / Difficulty Setting

+

'Classic' Gameplay Mode / Difficulty Setting

• Yes, add customizability to streamlined features/mechanics through either options or a game mode.

Votes: 132 75.0%
  • No, don't care about the loss of extra immersion by streamlining and don't mind to be hand-held.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Maybe, have to see to what extent the functionality of features/mechanics has been streamlined.

Votes: 37 21.0%

• Total voters
There is no option: "The game shouldn't be dumbed down in a first place", on which I vote.

A game can be easy, on easier difficulty - nothing bad about it, but it shouldn't be stupid and hand-holding. I HATE STUPID GAMEZ.

A few others have mentioned this, but I also think a difficultly that you can customize would be the best. You would select Easy, Normal, Hard, Dark, etc...as a base and then go into sub-difficulty settings if you wanted. Things like fast travel, permanent death, map indicators, witcher sense, pause/slowed radial menu, eating/drinking, deeper alchemy, etc can be turned on/off or slightly configurable.

I would also like the potions to have greater negative side effects, because I used pretty much the same hand full or so potions in Witcher 2 (for instance). I also rarely used blade oils, I would like them to become more useful. I would also like harder a difficulty level that is harder then Dark, that isn't perma death. This could be achieved selecting the hardest enemy difficulty and turning off perma death.

I'd love the option. I was wondering if the infinite potion mechanic might be a toggle in the main menu, but even that could require extensive re-balancing of difficulty. It's a pretty tall order, really.

Hm, I don't like the poll options that much tbh...

Imo there is a big difference between "various options/sliders for customization" and "a hardcore game mode". Imo two completely different animals merged into one poll answer.

If they implement a hardcore game mode it would very likely include stuff that I personally don't want in my game (like disabling free saving or other stuff usually connected to a hardcore mode) so I wouldn't choose it. Flexible sliders/options instead enable me to customize my gaming experience how I want it. I could for example make combat harder or disable HUD elements or whatever while maintaining free saving.

So my answer is: yes, give us as many flexibility and customization as possible if it generally fits to your vision. But no, don't merge them into a special fixed mode (or at least, give us both). ;)

Of course there's a difference but for the sake of boiling it down to 3 general poll answers to choose from you have to compromise in some way. Doesn't help that you 'only' have 100 characters each to properly get your points across, as well.

Also, there's 'either' and 'or' in that sentence which should make it clear enough (imho) that, by choosing the positive answer, you're voting for EITHER options to modify the complexity of the gameplay OR some kind of special 'classic' (not necessarily 'hardcore') game mode that combines certain (further adjustable and/or set) aspects/mechanics in the way they used to work in the previous games.

And there's always the possibility to drop a couple of lines to further comment on why you chose this or that and under what assumptions or premises, like you did.

There is no option: "The game shouldn't be dumbed down in a first place", on which I vote.

A game can be easy, on easier difficulty - nothing bad about it, but it shouldn't be stupid and hand-holding. I HATE STUPID GAMEZ.
Amen, but right now it looks like CDPR really wants some features/mechanics to be more streamlined by default to cater to and make the game a bit more accessible for the 'softcore' audience that doesn't necessarily care about certain immersion-breaking aspects. Hence the suggestion of adjustable complexity through either options or some kind of game mode.

Couple of screenshots from other games on how they solved the issue, for reference:

Thief 4 (as mentioned by @tw3fanapp and yours truly):

Diablo III:

Last edited:
Couple of screenshots from other games on how they solved the issue, for reference:

Diablo III:

I've played Thief and I can confirm your point - on normal mode the game is easy, but you can make it much harder choosing these advanced settingds.
Why it's better then implementing ALL features in a single mode?
Because all gamers have their own preferences. Some features may be essential for a gamer, and if there is a mode, you cannot choose what to enable, you have to play it like it is.

Amen, but right now it looks like CDPR really wants some features/mechanics to be more streamlined by default to cater to and make the game a bit more accessible for the 'softcore' audience that doesn't necessarily care about certain immersion-breaking aspects. Hence the suggestion of adjustable complexity through either options or some kind of game mode.
If this turns out be the case for other systems (leveling system?) they haven't shown or talked about yet then yes, by all means, let us customize the hell out of the game.
How they already dumbed down (sorry, but this is the most accurate way to describe it) the potions system or made the Witcher senses too much of a hand holding mechanic alone would justify options or other means of tweaking the complexity.

And yes, dumbing down or "fixing" systems that ain't broke should definitely not happen in the first place. I guess it's one of those trade offs you have to make when developing for consoles and PC at the same time?
I wish it would be like the Witcher 2 all over again: PC version first, with the console version including console-specific modifications following later.

I've played Thief and I can confirm your point - on normal mode the game is easy, but you can make it much harder choosing these advanced settingds.
Why it's better then implementing ALL features in a single mode?
Because all gamers have their own preferences. Some features may be essential for a gamer, and if there is a mode, you cannot choose what to enable, you have to play it like it is.
Agreed, options/settings/sliders might be the preferable choice when it comes to covering a wide range of player preferences.

leveling system
Even if CDPR would have redesigned the leveling system (which isn't the case, or so I heard, the three branches swordsmanship, magic/signs and alchemy are still in place) it's too fundamental a system to allow players making adjustments to it in any way. You have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to what aspects of a game can be altered to what extent, and the leveling system is definitely not of one of those.

But allowing optional adjustments to uncritical subsystems like the currently simplified potion preparation or features like the environmental highlighting... sure, I don't see why this should be that hard to implement. If Eidos Montreal can pull it off then CDPR (hopefully) should be able too.

I wish it would be like the Witcher 2 all over again: PC version first, with the console version including console-specific modifications following later.
Amen to that.

What I suppose (and I could be wrong, since I dont know a sh@t about game developing) is that open difficulties like those could provoke unstability problems as well as unbalancing problems. Otherwise, I dont know why so few games offer them. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
I'm no expert on the matter as well but I think it boils down to how deep features/mechanics are integrated into and interdependent with other features/mechanics.

Things like turning environmental highlighting on/off or 'desimplifying' the potion preparation system by optionally reintroducing the manual creation of potions à la The Witcher 2 should be 'relatively easy' to implement (from a bystander's view point) since those seem to be not as essential or fundamental like the mentioned leveling system. And I don't see why there should be any instability or balancing issues by simply turning on/off optional convenience (environmental highlighting) or optional tedium (Witcher 2 potion management) either.

The technical side of implementing those options is a whole other animal obviously, but nothing I'd say is impossible to do with still 8 months to go.

Honestly. at this point I only want two things from the game:

-The insane mode ( I want my palms to sweat each time I fight);
-The no save/load mode - I want my decisions to STICK with me, I don't want to have to reload previous save if i didn't like it (like my gf did with the W1 and the W2 - which infuriated me to no end, she just couldn't help herself). - like in Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.

I sure hope we have as many options as possible regarding difficulty options and streamlined features...

To me hardcore mode should provide as much imitation of the reality of the game consisting of:
-Requires a specific mode of play, putting the main emphasis on acquiring knowledge of potions, multiple scattered collection of individual information-stashed all over the world about the selected monster and specific people (provided it is well-founded plots)
-Skillful planning any trips taking into account all aspects of logistics.

Generally I do not support masochism but put on intuitive solving some problems in the game by the player and for me it has just the game is Geeky, which requires logical thinking and mature decisions.
I would even pay attention to our capacity. Using the principles of realism if it means that Geralt cluttered with half allocated space in the inventory will be moving as quickly, if he had nothing on his back? Sure, that no load be moving up and fought faster. I wonder what the horse and how much scrap metal can fit on it and how capacity will affect his condition, whether it is to lose a horse along with equipment? Can a monster do a treat for my horse with my equipment, when I'll hunt for another? And if, for example, the horse was discontinued in the area and accordingly is overloaded Will it be feasible to escape before the monster back to the city?
As a condition to move quickly and output of punches would be slightly full or almost empty backpack and I am deprived of their own volition Fast-travel probably i would throw away unnecessary rubbish on the ground, despite the fact that they are worth something in some places. But if I get there safely is to sell them, knowing that in the area I'm surrounded by a lot of monsters (which has absolutely nothing I do not know and I'm not well prepared to clash with them) thereby risking slow attacks? But I think I threw them away somewhere in a visible place with old weapons commuted to better find some new ground, taking into account that in the wild in total there are nothing worth, becoming unnecessary ballast instead of which I would gladly set aside the burden on boosters and food for myself and my horse (if still alive) or to the unique ingredients found somewhere along the way and earned a trophy, because as it surely Geralt will charge a fee to somehow survive. Maybe someday I will have passed this way it might be able to collect the dumped earlier stuff from the backpack unless some other wanderer or brave shopkeeper in front of me does not find them and deprive earnings. And what if in the city I did not get the trophy for any money or not enough beehives were in agreement with the previously found in the wilds of the things I sold them better with a lot more profitable than the head that tore at the foot all the time? If I knew that maybe would make a different decision and perhaps risked a clash with monsters in half overloaded. But if I have enough knowledge about them? I'll be surprised if it is already on the challenge will not be the underdog?

If will be a new settings to the game, it compulsorily instead of one "hardcore mode" let it be a list of all the difficulties, where you can select, and which can not be changed after the start of the game. There's potential:
- Lack of energy potions
- Sudden Death
- Realistic impact (one or two shots and you're out)
- Hunger, renewable at the inn or at the market
And so on.
Many options to enable and disable individual facilities and difficulties as most should be found in the game. With one exception, that the game will no longer be possible to change them. If something turns up for us (too demanding or time-consuming, of course, we will have to either start the game over again with different settings, or longer bother with so-chosen options to the end., And I think that it is enough that everyone can find something for themselves.

As regards first of all the difficulty, I would like to be based primarily on a well-balanced economy in the game. Any best available equipment should be available for purchase only at merchants or smuglers or blacksmiths or mages, thus reducing to a minimum the degree of finding the most powerful in-game items in boxes and similar locations. This should be limited to obtaining individual prescriptions, diagrams and materials. needed for crafting. By killing monsters with orders obtained in this way, the cash would be spent on expenses skillfully NPC to develop / exchange for better equipment

Even as something dawned on me regarding witcher senses whether the tabs in the equipment, even though almost do not know anything about this system. All the tips, which is what we would have displayed the substance use to increase your chances of challenging the monsters have been based strictly on how much information about him accumulate during the entire game. Let there be a situation in which first pass through a game or use of guidance bestiary learn what potions and other materials are susceptible to it. The system has prohibited us from its use.
The system has detected that Geralt knows, and only on this basis to allow him to take advantage of these benefits in the fight. If the hint does not display the information that the creature is vulnerable, for example, a particular oil, we can not use it.
From what I saw on gameplay with griffin, senses witcher show all possible interactions in the game.
What I mean is that the individual hints involve only when we get specific information about a monster.
Example:
We have met a musician on the street in the city, and he tells us that the beast is doing this and that sound. Geralt learns these sounds and writes a note to the bestiary. when , for example, the monster is near to us, then we go the direction of the noise. If we did not get the information from him, the sound effect at the time of the hunt would be inactive.
A similar situation with stalking the tracks. Only after obtaining the information, what shape are traces of the monster, the system senses it illuminates us. Otherwise, if we possess no knowledge of his tracks that he leaves behind, we are not able to track him down.

To all this tracking system could be good, the monsters in the area would have to move within it. From what I saw in the gameplay, griffin flew out to the summit, after it was hit by crossbow, before circling somewhere within its tyretorium and hunted. So all this indicates that the monsters are moving too, not all, but most of them.

Let's not do the witcher games for mentally handicapped people, only for mature ( +18 ) players who do not want simplifications. Those who want a disable all the possible difficulties mentioned in the subject line or facilitate do it, and in this way each player will draw the maximum pleasure from the game.

In summary: do not lead your player's hand if they do not want it

Last edited:
Advanced options regarding the difficulty, similar to Thief IV (as noted and shown in screenshots in the previous page), seems nice. Most of the time, i do not play at the hardest mode in games (This doesn't mean i'm playing at easiest, i hate dumb combats. Normal or sth in between normal and hardest). However i'm thinking of doing it in TW3. To have this kind of decision power over some of the game mechanics would certainly help on people to find a suitable difficulty level for themselves.

But again, i won't mind whether this kind of system is implemented or not. I wouldn't be disappointed or anything in either kind of situation. It's just it would be nice to have.

Last edited:
I'm not too worried thanks to mods.

With mods you can easily adjust the difficulty, edit enemy health and such.

I understand that this console generation prefers games that are easier compared to what a lot of us grew up with ( I was born in 1986 so I have gone through a vast number of systems/consoles ) but CDPR is also good about catering to PC users.

It reminds me of something I did a year or two ago. My friend said he could beat CoD MW2 on highest difficulty; so I told him as a joke; alright play Half Life 2 on Hard difficulty,

He couldn't get past R******** (the zombie town to avoid spoilers ) because there was no regenerating health/additional people on his team.

HL2 ? the game where hard is about as hard as Quake1 on easy ? LOL
I guess he missed the NPCs telling him what to do and forgot shooting.

Alright, Take 2 (after the first one got the thread prematurely merged due to flawed wording on my end, again, apologies):

In face of the recent potions controversy I wondered if it actually would be that much of an effort to implement 'non-streamlined' versions of procedures/mechanisms that are deemed 'too tedious' by a certain chunk of the audience and consolidate them into a special 'Classic' gameplay mode / difficulty setting (or something along those lines) for the other chunk of the audience that, for instance, wouldn't mind riding those 20 minutes from North to South instead of using Fast Travel?

Would you welcome the addition of either gameplay options for customizing by default streamlined features/mechanics to be more complex or a 'Classic' / '1999' / 'Old School'-like game mode combining those streamlined features/mechanics with their unchanged, 'non-streamlined', 'classic' functionalities for that extra bit of masochistic tedium immersion and/or challenge?

It would only make sense that an overly ambitious game with such a ludicrous scope and size like TW3 would allow a similarly ridiculous degree of game and difficulty customization. So... yes, make it happen please!

It would only make sense that an overly ambitious game with such a ludicrous scope and size like TW3 would allow a similarly ridiculous degree of game and difficulty customization. So... yes, make it happen please!
Probably the simplest yet best argument for being able to customize the game to one's preferences.

What I want to see the most is a Witcher fighting well planted on his feet and dancing while swinging the sword... not a roll spamming midget... I know you can do it.

Voted for customizability.
There's definitely not enough games that allow for such a deep and extensive level of customization as Thief 4 and I'd absolutely love to see something similar done with TW3.

Top Bottom