Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

+

Is TW3 getting downgraded for the sake of consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Don't really care. It's for the developer to decide.

Votes: 29 32.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Thebull94 Very well said, I totally agree.
@archav3n I wouldn't stress over it, we've already seen both games and you can easily identify the step up in quality of the PC release. Ubisoft hasnt provided solid PC support in over a decade, so no one should be surprised that Watch Dogs turned out how it did.

Also, I could easily see that UI working well with KB/M, what'll be important is how it interacts with the mouse (drag+drop, mouse wheel, right click, ect) and hotkeys.

I'll be really disappointed if the only difference we'll see in TW3 between the PC and console versions is a higher frame-rate and some smoother edges here and there. I pre-ordered the PC version for a reason and I know that the PC is capable of more than PS4 and X1. I'm actually more of a console gamer but when I decide to go for PC, then its because I want the better running/looking version of the game. The statement , that PC & console gamers should get the same experience, doesn't resonate with me. In my ears this comment sounds like this " we could've made it really better on PC (graphics and all), but because we don't want one version to look far better than the other 2, we won't"
As of now, nothing is really certain and there hasn't been any clear comment on performance/graphic differences between PC & console but, like I said in the beginning, if the differences between PC and consoles will be minimal, then it is going to be a huge bummer for me

I'll be really disappointed if the only difference we'll see in TW3 between the PC and console versions is a higher frame-rate and some smoother edges here and there. I pre-ordered the PC version for a reason and I know that the PC is capable of more than PS4 and X1. I'm actually more of a console gamer but when I decide to go for PC, then its because I want the better running/looking version of the game. The statement , that PC & console gamers should get the same experience, doesn't resonate with me. In my ears this comment sounds like this " we could've made it really better on PC (graphics and all), but because we don't want one version to look far better than the other 2, we won't"
As of now, nothing is really certain and there hasn't been any clear comment on performance/graphic differences between PC & console but, like I said in the beginning, if the differences between PC and consoles will be minimal, then it is going to be a huge bummer for me

The article referenced here specifies "improved tessellation, physics, extra post-processing effects and more realistic fur for the game's creatures" and thats in addition to support for much higher resolutions and framerate.

The truth is, there is no singular PC version of the game to be held back. Technically, anybody that doesn't have dual titans is holding back the game since developers have to target a wide range of low to mid range PCs. XB1 and PS4 are easily outclassed by a good PC, but they are not yet so weak that they would require a developer to significantly compromise their vision.

Honestly I don't care about the differences between Consoles and PC. As long as it looks good and runs fine it doesn't matter. Obviously, the PC will have the most fluctuation and should look better at its best, and worse at its worst, but that speaks for itself.

Well so far Projekt CD's actions have gave me the impression that they will pull the maximum out of XB1,PS4 and PC. Which means PC>PS4>XB1.

I mean it's just bad business practice to intentionally downgrade or hold back the graphics in a video game, I hope Ubisoft realized that, but in this case this interviewer is asking will "XB1 be worse then PS4?". Now there is no reason Projekt CD would piss off PC AND PS4 users by downgrading their game, and the interviewer has probably Microsoft tattooed on his ass.

Which means PC>PS4>XB1.

What everyone tends to forget when they read these PR comments is that what it actually means is PC>PS4>XB1>PC, because PC can cover a pretty big range of specs.
These comments at interviews are targeted at a wider audience than this forum. Given how demanding TW2 was, I think that our definition of what constitutes a high-end gaming PC isn't the same as the rest of the world's, so until they actually release the specs, I'm not over-concerned about these kinds of comments. I think that the PC we were using two years ago to play TW2 is probably already as good as the "mid-range" PC they're describing as being like a console.

I totally agreed with what you have said. Can't said it better myself. Also the point i'm stressing is: If CDPR intend to treat all platforms EQUALLY then they should not dumb down the PC platform to make it equal. It will not be equal. What i'm stressing here isn't merely the graphics/visuals. What i'm stressing is the Menus and UI. Forcing console UIs and Menus on PC platforms is clearly an insult to the PC gamers like press 'X' button to continue etc. Did you see a console game that insult them with click Left Mouse Button to continue?
No i did not see this. But what i've seen are alot of consolize menus asking me to press 'x' button or some colors controller icons that was not present on my Mouse+KB settings.

"Michał Krzemiński, senior art producer on the game, confirms Sony and Microsoft's new platforms are set to carry the same core experience as PC. "Super-powerful PCs will be able to achieve higher resolutions, and they might run the game a bit faster,"

Might. If you have a super powerful PC.

I'm not spreading FUD here, I'm quoting the devs.

Compared to the consoles, what is considered a super powerful pc? That could mean anything really. Even, talking in pc spec comparison, mediocre pc's? It's good that they treat all platforms equally but let's be honest, the pc version will look better and even run better if the optimization has been done properly. Which knowing CDPR, it will. Of course the pc version will not be a totally other game, graphics wise, but it will look better in places. Take for example the fur and hair physics engine thing from Nvidia. And pc's will be able to render more of the background then the consoles so pc players will be able to see more things in the background.

hi. first of all after reading an article on eurogamer about treating BOTH console and PC gamers equally really had me WORRIED. its seems that i'm keeping getting the idea that CDPR has sold his soul to the devil and kept on shoving shite down my throat. look i'm not a PC fanboy and i'll be gaming on my PS4 as well. FACT is FACT that PC is leaps and bound better than the consoles and IF XB1 looks nearly identical to PC, it's the same what Ubisoft is doing: FarCry4 Next-Gen=PC Ultra.

secondly, there's how do you treat PC gamers EQUALLY with console gamers? where is the PC/UI menus CDPR? are you going FORCE that consolized UI down my throat with PC version? IF you intend to treat PC and console gamers EQUALLY then you should maximise and fully optimise the power of each platform.

i know that alot of fanboys of CDPR will probably flame the shite out of me but i will tell you i'm a CDPR fanboy as well. i will patiently till the day that the game release and if i get the SAME consolied, dumb-downed UI/menus i know that CDPR has shifted itself towards console gaming.

CDPR look at Crytek if you really think that goldmine is from consoles.

Everything is going to be just fine, this is only one side of the story. No Fear;)

Last edited:
The game will look damn good on the PC, PS4 and Xbox One. The whole idea of them 'consolising' this game seems ludicrous too me. So what if the consoles look relatively similar to the PC, at least you still get a DAMN good game. How do you think the 360 owners (who simply could not run Witcher 2, like many) felt when they got their version? They felt 'happy' not upset or betrayed they felt happy they still got the game. Just be glad your version will still look the best and quit worrying. Didn't they say they were developing the game around consoles anyway? Like focusing more on consoles? ( I could be WAY wrong, but hey sure I saw it somewhere)

"Michał Krzemiński, senior art producer on the game, confirms Sony and Microsoft's new platforms are set to carry the same core experience as PC. "Super-powerful PCs will be able to achieve higher resolutions, and they might run the game a bit faster,"

Might. If you have a super powerful PC.

I'm not spreading FUD here, I'm quoting the devs.

Offering better graphics is not offering a better core experience. Gameplay will be the same on all platforms. Content will be the same.

Graphical fidelity has nothing to do with that.

And how about that interview:
As for PC, CD Projekt plans to add an ultra setting that, according to Mamais, you'll need a beefy machine to use.

"But I think it'll be worth it," he said. "Our ultra is pretty much the peak in games. At least we hope it is. The stuff we're doing is going to look really amazing."

Witcher 3 on PC ultra settings adds better tessellation, more physics, more post-processing and more realistic fur, Mamais said.

By comparison, the graphics of the console versions are equivalent to high settings on PC.

But we're going in circles again. CDPR already confirmed multiple times that the game will look better on decent PC but people still don't believe it. So yes, we'll have to wait and see. That's it.

@Thebull94
Maybe you should read my post again. I said 30 FPS WITHOUT framedrops. Constant 30 FPS are perfectly fine for an RPG and perfectly sufficient to press buttons in time. Witcher 3 is not a deeply skill based game anyway. This is not Dark Souls (fortunately).

And of course 60FPS would be nice. But amazing graphics and 60FPS are almost impossible if you don't own a 2000$ PC. It's certainly impossible on next-gen consoles. That's just a simple technical fact. I would always exchange better graphics for a lower framerate in an RPG.

Last edited:
"Offering better graphics is not offering a better core experience. Gameplay will be the same on all platforms. Content will be the same.
"

It does though when given the context.

"Offering better graphics is not offering a better core experience. Gameplay will be the same on all platforms. Content will be the same.
"

It does though when given the context.
We don't talk about fundamental differences in graphical quality, but improvements. The core experience is exactly the same.

Do I have to say again how much I hate all these graphics fetishists on PC and next-gen consoles and their endless complaining about the most minor points possible lately? This whole graphics topic in gaming is annoying to the point of being enraging... :2guns:

Do I have to say again how much I hate all these graphics fetishists on PC and next-gen consoles and their endless complaining about the most minor points possible lately? This whole graphics topic in gaming is annoying to the point of being enraging... :2guns:
That's annoying to read. :p If you want to say someting, don't be afraid. :secret:

I think the major issue is that the power gap between the 360 and PC when TW2 came out was large, like really large. So the 360 TW2 ended up looking like a ~Medium PC edition (Give or take - obviously the 360 had the new lighting and they re-wrote code somewhat, but to give it a rough average, about medium).
So here when you have the PS4/Xbone there's still a huge power gap. The gap between a 780Ti (And not even accounting for even better GPU's and SLI setups) and the new consoles is still fairly large, and then you've got the 8xx cards on the way by the end of the year and the gap will only grow even larger. So when people hear, "Consoles are running at high and PC only has one notch above that at Ultra", it makes all the guys with SLI 780Ti's raise their eyebrows.

Obviously 60FPS+, higher resolutions and overall settings flexibility/choice are a big deal, and that's a huge part of gaming on PC. Not to mention that the game will undeniably look better, I just think people get a little scared when they hear contradicting statements from one developer and another. One guy says they're trying to make the "experience as equal as possible", but then Mamais says that, "It adds Y-Z and it's possibly the peak in games"... So it just confuses a few people.. Is it PR talk to downplay how the consoles look in comparison? Or is the opposite comment true and it's actually PR talk to try and keep the PC gamers thinking they're getting a much better version when they aren't?

Previous knowledge of CDPR would say the PC version is going to be fucking brilliant and a solid leap above the Consoles (You can already sort of see this in the E3 footage - although the difference isn't as large as some people expected there I think), but I do understand how some people can get a little worried. It's not like CDPR are the perfect Devs who can do no wrong, Developers change over time (Fuck, look at BioWare) and not everyone has that overruling faith that some of us have. So I do get it and I'm pretty interested to see where the specs end up lying, because at this rate if the Consoles are running the "PC High", then my SLI 680's actually might do just fine, and I was kinda dreaming that they'd be made practically redundant by TW3 so that it was like 2007 Crysis 2.0. Ultimately the trust still lies in CDPR and I really hope it's all just PR and they truly are going completely all-out for the PC Version, but I do totally understand people's skepticism.

Will Witcher 3 be a better game if it offers the world's best graphics (that only a very small fraction of gamers will ever see) instead of just great, amazing graphics?

No.

#firstworldproblems
#richpeopleproblems

I think the major issue is that the power gap between the 360 and PC when TW2 came out was large, like really large. So the 360 TW2 ended up looking like a ~Medium PC edition (Give or take - obviously the 360 had the new lighting and they re-wrote code somewhat, but to give it a rough average, about medium).

To me the 360 version definitely doesn't look like medium on pc. It doesn't even look as good as the pc version on low settings (which btw could be played on a fairly decent gaming pc from 2006. Even not a high-end by that time.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znaVLNO9qyQ
The pc version looks better on low settings and clearly blows the xbox away on max. It does however look good on the xbox, that is in xbox comparison of course.

The game will look damn good on the PC, PS4 and Xbox One. The whole idea of them 'consolising' this game seems ludicrous too me. So what if the consoles look relatively similar to the PC, at least you still get a DAMN good game. How do you think the 360 owners (who simply could not run Witcher 2, like many) felt when they got their version? They felt 'happy' not upset or betrayed they felt happy they still got the game. Just be glad your version will still look the best and quit worrying. Didn't they say they were developing the game around consoles anyway? Like focusing more on consoles? ( I could be WAY wrong, but hey sure I saw it somewhere)

But if you have a PC thats 5 times as powerful as the consols, wouldn't it be "fair" that you could enjoy much better graphics. Not maybe 5 times (cuz it doesn't work that way) but at least a big improvement. Even guys with mid-end pc's should be able to play with better graphics. At least in this kind of game. Where graphics DOES matter, at least to me.

Last edited:
I totally agreed with what you have said. Can't said it better myself. Also the point i'm stressing is: If CDPR intend to treat all platforms EQUALLY then they should not dumb down the PC platform to make it equal. It will not be equal. What i'm stressing here isn't merely the graphics/visuals. What i'm stressing is the Menus and UI. Forcing console UIs and Menus on PC platforms is clearly an insult to the PC gamers like press 'X' button to continue etc. Did you see a console game that insult them with click Left Mouse Button to continue?
No i did not see this. But what i've seen are alot of consolize menus asking me to press 'x' button or some colors controller icons that was not present on my Mouse+KB settings.

Controllers arent exclusive to consoles. If you have a controller plug in it'll say "press x to continue" if not it'll tell you to "click to continue". Why is that insulting? The best thing about PC gaming is the ability to customize the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom