The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

+
No, we don't. All we need are good developers who make Witcher 3 as good as possible. If they want to release free DLC after release more power to them. No need to announce them in detail months before release of the game anyway. This doesn't benefit the game in any way.

Yeah we do need developers like this, because when people don't see that dlc can be free they find the shitty paid dlc normal. And when people find paid dlc normal, things like horse armor will be 10 bucks instead of the 5 it's now. And of course the other developers need to see that the community reacts positively to dlc that should be free.

So Gamer developer A removes content of the game to sell it you it at launch and it's deservedly qualified as a greedy bastard, CDPR "removes" content to give it away for free at Day 1 DLC but pointing is pure marketing is an undeserved insult.

Last edited:
So Gamer developer A removes content of the game to sell you to it at launch and it's deservedly qualified as a greedy bastrad, CDPR "removes" content to give it as Day 1 DLC but pointing is pure marketing is an undeserved insult.

Fixed that.

This was said by Marcin already but an annoucment does not mean we had cut it from the game. The DLC are not ready and we can make them after we finish the base game and pass the certification.

Also marketing is important - we want every gamer to play our games. If we have good sales we can do even more good games.

Reacting to "CDPR are heroes" fandom by constantly belittling them is a reverse reaction that isn't much more level-headed. Let alone when an objectively pro-consumer act is being ignored at best, mocked at worst.

Yes, this is a marketing stunt. An obvious one at that. So?

Marketing isn't an inherently bad thing, to be avoided. Is "marketing" the new boogeyman or something? A person who neglects marketing altogether is honestly a pretty poor businessman. Marketing is spread throughout years, not just the months leading to release (in which stage we already are, anyway). I seriously do not understand the criticism\discontent or whatever word that properly describes some of the cynical comments here.

I am not saying we should go through the roof. Hardly. CDPR didn't announce here that they'll be working on 20-hours worth of content for free. They are announcing small DLCs, most of which we don't know what contain, and how significant they really are. Is it a game-changer? No. Is it unusual in our gaming environment and is a kind act towards their fans? Certainly. Does it somehow come at the expense of the game's quality? No. Does it somehow come instead of CDPR marketing other, additional attributes of theirs? No. This isn't an equation with room for only one variable.

It's marketing, but not empty of content. Companies can choose what to market themselves as. So far, CDPR arguably has lived up to what it chose to market itself as.

So Gamer developer A removes content of the game to sell you to it at launch and it's deservedly qualified as a greedy bastrad, CDPR "removes" content to sell it as Day 1 DLC but pointing is pure marketing is an undeserved insult.
They're not selling it and they never removed anything. 99% of this content is not being released day one and isn't even finished. Like I said, the gaming today industry is so full of shitty greed that anyone who gives free content now is seen as disingenuous and only doing it for their reputation.

CDPR "removes" content to sell it as Day 1 DLC but pointing is pure marketing is an undeserved insult.
There is no proof or even hint that it's content removed only to give away later, that's also nonsensical.

They're not selling any of those DLCs.

They are not Day1 DLCs, some of them will be available by release, not all of them.

You're forgetting that Witcher 2 had plenty of content added to it later in patches as well.

Last edited:
Thank you. Ciriously.

Releasing multiple DLC installments is making a virtue of necessity. It's better than not finishing the game on time or releasing it buggy or unpolished.

It is not a decision to remove content just to give it away later as DLC. It's a choice between holding back content that is not ready, or cutting it altogether.

As to the timing, I would rather know now to expect this than to find out after I have the game running.

I wonder how this will affect a potential enhanced edition.
I mean, I would love an enhanced edition a year down the line or so, but then again, if they're supplying additional content for several months after release, I wouldn't be that surprised if they decided not to do one which would be fair enough.

Also in regards to those wondering about Yennefer, it was stated by Marcin on the Polish side that the DLC only changes her outfit. It's not like as if they're giving some kind of alternate version of Yennefer entirely, and expecting that would have been strange IMO.

Thanks, i am glad.

Well we are no fools to believe that this is entirely out of their goodwill, but if their marketing tactic benefits EVERYONE playing the game, it is something I want more in this industry, it sure needs it.
What the industry imho needs most are good games. That's about it. Everything else is imho just side stuff, not even worth mentioning in most cases.

I wonder how this will affect a potential enhanced edition.
I mean, I would love an enhanced edition a year down the line or so, but then again, if they're supplying additional content for several months after release, I wouldn't be that surprised if they decided not to do one which would be fair enough.

They've said multiple times that they don't plan on doing an Enhanced Edition this time around.

I assume the idea behind TW3 is to deliver a much more polished and solid game on launch, and then have DLC like this (And possibly expansions) come later, but no big massive enhanced edition updates. So rather than wait a year and get a huge chunk of stuff, we'll get it slowly over time and the base game will be a much better experience than what was had on launch with the previous titles (I didn't really encounter many issues with TW2 at launch but I know many did).

Great news.
Some people seem to forget that the game has to be ready several weeks before the release. Considering the game will have 100+ hours of content CD Project Red needs to send game copies to gaming site journalists at least 2-3 weeks before the 24th to get proper reviews. The game needs to go gold not later than the beginning of february. They will probably start to create these dlc at this time.
And people are really moaning that it's marketing? Really? They want to sell the game so they need marketing. Positive marketing for them- free conetnt for us-> win win situation.

Last edited:
They've said multiple times that they don't plan on doing an Enhanced Edition this time around.

I assume the idea behind TW3 is to deliver a much more polished and solid game on launch, and then have DLC like this (And possibly expansions) come later, but no big massive enhanced edition updates. So rather than wait a year and get a huge chunk of stuff, we'll get it slowly over time and the base game will be a much better experience than what was had on launch with the previous titles (I didn't really encounter many issues with TW2 at launch but I know many did).

I see. Last time I read about it, they still weren't sure iirc But as I said before, and like you put it, it's perfectly understandable.

Great PR move, although we (community) kinda expected it already. Constant updates should be also mentioned in the news blog.. W2 had a lot of updates and fixes after it first came out.. Developer patch/fix support is more important for some then actual small DLC's.

On the week W3 comes out I am going away for a 3 weeks. Damn at least I get something new when I come back. Thank you.

Hmm, I'm wondering what they mean by alternative look for Yennefer. Does that mean it will only be a change of clothes or possibly facial features like lots of people would like? Because I liked Sword of Destiny Yen :D

Galaxy is going to have an auto update system like steam, right? Would suck to have to re-download the entire game for each update

Top Bottom