Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
I'm not entirely convinced with how that quest was designed.

Step 1

Talk with the merchant, ok. It's a normal dialogue, but I didn't see an option to discuss about the payment.
Now, the quest Journal

There isn't any mention to the road and where the player have to go to find the box. So...without any quest markers, how the player is supposed to beat this quest?

Step 2

The player follow the witcher senses and find the box. He can examine the scene to find out any clues.
But this is extremely hand-holding. The player doesn't have any possibility to fail in the investigation (like in The Witcher 1, Vizima Confidential). It's just...press the button.

Step 3

Return to the merchant, and here the player have two options in dialogues tree. Expose the liar or look the other way. But why a player should select the second option?

Step 4

Once the player have exposed the liar, it start a chase. Here the player hit the merchant...so it is supposed that the player have killed the NPC (and the lack of a timing in the slow motion makes that hit extremely easy). But the merchant is alive and completeley healthy.

I hope you are aware that you are comparing a small sidequest which can be completed in less than 10 minutes with a main quest from W1?
And on the other hand, how many quests are there in W1 or 2, where the player can actually be misled and come to the false conclusion? Most of the time you can make decisions based on your knowledge, which are not clear cut right or wrong.

Yeah but its worth noting that everything he used the Witcher senses for was visible without them. You cn see the treads, broken branches and debris from the cart without activating them.
Yes, visible...

But can we trigger next quest stage without witcher senses? Can we fail? Can Geralt make a mistake and follow false trail?

There isn't any mention to the road and where the player have to go to find the box. So...without any quest markers, how the player is supposed to beat this quest?

I dunno. Look around?

You can see the tracks on the road. The person can't be far from where the incident happened since he's in a makeshift camp and is waiting for someone to help him recover something valuable.

Pretty logical imo.

I find these expectations amusing that every little sidequests must have a nearly impenetrable net of false trails and unrelieable information. CDPR's writers are very talented, but still human.

Step 1

Talk with the merchant, ok. It's a normal dialogue, but I didn't see an option to discuss about the payment.
Now, the quest Journal

Step 2

The player follow the witcher senses and find the box. He can examine the scene to find out any clues.
But this is extremely hand-holding. The player doesn't have any possibility to fail in the investigation (like in The Witcher 1, Vizima Confidential). It's just...press the button.

Step 3

Return to the merchant, and here the player have two options in dialogues tree. Expose the liar or look the other way. But why a player should select the second option?

Step 4

Once the player have exposed the liar, it start a chase. Here the player hit the merchant...so it is supposed that the player have killed the NPC (and the lack of a timing in the slow motion makes that hit extremely easy). But the merchant is alive and completeley healthy.

1. The guy points you the right direction during the dialogue, so even without quest markers you should know where to go.

2. Don't compare every little sidequest to the one of the main quests in the previous game. How many quests there was in the first game itself where you just went were they told you and press the button to find what you need (yes, witcher senses in this case are not different from holding Alt button to highlight every interactive object nearby)?

3. He can choose the option if he missed the clue or simply don't care, wants to take the money and leave.

4. It happened in the previous games as well. We can assume he was just wounded, but other then that he was okay.

Just Microsoft being Microsoft.
The footage is 60fps, consoles will run at 30fps.
Other than the frame rate i should think that you will get graphical quality as seen on that footage on the consoles.

Ok. But release one gameplay in the Xbox channel and It is footage from pc , its like a little mistake , I think. Sure that it will be true but for me ........ ........

Hi, since you chose to directly question the work of one of my coworkers here, I will take some time out of my day to answer your Steps.

Step 1

Now, the quest Journal

You find the man next to a road. In the dialog, he tells you that he was attacked on this road towards the swamps. I assume someone could have been distracted and not properly listened to the man. In which case we give them in game help to find their way around. If someone can't be bothered to listen to the man and instead relies on game-systems to display information for you...why not also activate the Mappins after all. :)

Once you move along the road, you will have to follow clues to find out where to go. Personally, I did not need the map markers to find this location. But I am biased of course.

Step 2

If you just search for the box and don't bother with anything else, you can come back to the merchant just fine. The quest does not prompt you to investigate more until you actively investigate something that is out of place but not necessarily the box.

Step 3

See above. If you don't bother to further investigate, you will not have the option to expose his lies.

Step 4

He's a soldier. He can deal with it. Plues...where is it supposed that you killed the man? You hit him with a sword once. granted, there was some blood, but Geralt takes more serious wounds in a night at the bar with Zoltan and walks it off. No reason a seasoned soldier can't stand a little glancing blow.

If you want a more challenging approach to catching the man maybe you should find out where he is operating from? Maybe he has friends, after all he mentioned a unit. Maybe you could use other ways to knock him down? Maybe you forgot how to horse for a moment and lose his tracks.

And last but not least, this is a prologue area Quest. It is intended to help players get more comfortable with the game, how it works, and the systems in play. For this we also have to take into account people who have never played a Witcher Game, or an RPG, or maybe even a Video Game before. Which is why the structure is relatively straightforward. However there are still many variables at play here that you could nto see in a single play of the quest.

Hope you will find these explanations illuminating. Sorry for the many spoiler tags, but I think a lot of people would prefer me NOT to spoil all the ins and outs of the quest.

Edit: I do see a couple of people have beat me to answering. Oh well. XD

Last edited:
Hi, since you chose to directly question the work of one of my coworkers here, I will take some time out of my day to answer your Steps.

You find the man next to a road. In the dialog, he tells you that he was attacked on this road towards the swamps. I assume someone could have been distracted and not properly listened to the man. In which case we give them in game help to find their way around. If someone can't be bothered to listen to the man and instead relies on game-systems to display information for you...why not also activate the Mappins after all. :)

Once you move along the road, you will have to follow clues to find out where to go. Personally, I did not need the map markers to find this location. But I am biased of course.

If you just search for the box and don't bother with anything else, you can come back to the merchant just fine. The quest does not prompt you to investigate more until you actively investigate something that is out of place but not necessarily the box.

See above. If you don't bother to further investigate, you will not have the option to expose his lies.

He's a soldier. He can deal with it. Plues...where is it supposed that you killed the man? You hit him with a sword once. granted, there was some blood, but Geralt takes more serious wounds in a night at the bar with Zoltan and walks it off. No reason a seasoned soldier can't stand a little glancing blow.

If you want a more challenging approach to catching the man maybe you should find out where he is operating from? Maybe he has friends, after all he mentioned a unit. Maybe you could use other ways to knock him down? Maybe you forgot how to horse for a moment and lose his tracks.

And last but not least, this is a prologue area Quest. It is intended to help players get more comfortable with the game, how it works, and the systems in play. For this we also have to take into account people who have never played a Witcher Game, or an RPG, or maybe even a Video Game before. Which is why the structure is relatively straightforward. However there are still many variables at play here that you could nto see in a single play of the quest.

Hope you will find these explanations illuminating. Sorry for the many spoiler tags, but I think a lot of people would prefer me NOT to spoil all the ins and outs of the quest.

Edit: I do see a couple of people have beat me to answering. Oh well. XD

Ok, thank you for your answer. :)

Prologue of the game shouldn't have complicated quests. New players need to learn the basics of gameplay mechanics and the concept of choice and consequence. So I don't think quests in those early hours will be anyway near as complex as the ones later in the game.

Yes, visible...

But can we trigger next quest stage without witcher senses? Can we fail? Can Geralt make a mistake and follow false trail?

Interacting with the object is what pushes the quest forward. It would be weird if they hide the "interact" function without having the Witcher senses active, unless this quest is designed specifically as a tutorial for Witcher senses.

moonknightgog said:
Step 3

Actually, there are 3 options. You'd pick the second one if you are more sympathetic to the north. You'd pick the third if you don't think the guy deserves death, but you also don't care to give him the medicine.

This sidequest is in the proloque area and is one of the first sidequests you do in the game - it's functions as introduction for players how the quests are going to be and that more complex ones are waiting for them.. it shows even the consequences of the decision you can make.. so for such a type of sidequest I think it works really well.. the only think that somewhat bothered me was the lack of blood on the ground (nothing serious, but distracting nontheless) and the overpowered wind :D

Ginger do you could answer me please , this footage is From Xbox or PC ??? It is a bit strange that it will be PC in Xbox channel , I knows , that they are markenting things.

Also guys, I have a feeling that this outcome of the quest leads to another quest. You find out the soldiers are dying from an unknown disease and I bet you can further investigate to get a quest that deals with it.

I wonder, what if Geralt let the soldier go? Would he have an opportunity to acquire that quest? Or would it lead to a different one? Perhaps it would lead to no other quest at all. This is exciting, this tiny little side quest shows just how deep the quests are. The moment I started watching I thought to myself ''Well this is gonna be ammunition for haters calling out ''fetch quest'' ''mmo'' ''just like DAI'', but damn I was so wrong.

Ginger do you could answer me please , this footage is From Xbox or PC ??? It is a bit strange that it will be PC in Xbox channel , I knows , that they are markenting things.

Honestly I can't tell you. I am not really involved in what marketing is up to. You'd have to hope for an answer from Marcin on this one.

Top Bottom