[DISCUSSION] Witcher 3 - Reviews

+
Well, this is bad if true.

signs are tied to the same stamina as basic physical actions like dodging.

Isn't that what you've been begging for in the combat thread?

Not to mention his assessment of the former part of that statement is rubbish. He's saying that in TW3 you can wander out, swing your swords and kill shit, without the need for preparation. You could do exactly the same thing in The Witcher 2. Besides a couple of really rare quests, you were actually never forced to do all that preparation, and the game could be easily completed without touching oils/potions.

I don't see how it's suddenly a big deal that The Witcher 3 is exactly the same. At least on normal mode.

In first one, yes.

Nope. Again, you were forced to make potions for a few very rare quests, but apart from that you could absolutely beat the game without potions/oils.

Last edited:
And I never said that in TW2 it was good. It was just acceptable because in a linear HUB patter RPG, the enemy encounters are not so frequently.
But I still prefer how it was managed in The Witcher 1.

---------- Updated at 12:58 AM ----------

In first one, yes.

No way. It was barely useful on the hardest difficulty.

Someone needs to tell to whoever wrote that Polygon review that there is a difference between a game being misogynistic and a game portraying a misogynistic world. According to that review's logic, Schindler's List, Green Mile, Selma, 12 Years a Slave etc. are all disappointments because they are all racist.

Yeah, I've seen the claims before that talking about a certain subject matter makes you a believer in said subject matter. I mean, that claim is never made about action movies where tons of people are being mowed down, but it's made more often in social subject matters. We're living in interesting times that feels like it's a transition from how things seen in society here in the U.S., so it's always interesting to see how people react to sexy characters, or subject matters really.

The Witcher is definitely a universe that showcases the dynamics of men in power, and how women in a society like that can be targets. I'm reminded of the Melva's line from the books, saying that during times of war the people who suffer most are women and children.

that Polygon review certainly did not disappoint

I see that our @misho8723 already got banned over it on sonygaf:rly?:

Yeah :D .. atleast I have now time for something more productive to do :D .. I just said that why is today's society forcing authors or makers to do something they don't want to or don't have a reason to do.. Witcher world is mostly based on medieval Europe (mostly Central Europe), and if the author want's to world to be populated with white people, what's the problem? I don't see how can somebody take this as a offense.. That's like someone would make a story based in Africa revolving around black people and I would scream: "where are all the white people!".. just ridiculous.. but whatever.. let them have their fun there at NeoGaf.. anyway, the review isn't bad written or what, just I disagree with his opinions about the female characters in Witcher world and about that think for which I got ban :D but he still gave TW3 a solid 8 out of 10, so it's still ok..

Canceled preorder after seeing graphics of purported pc ultra, very disappointed.
will wait for modders to fix this.

Honest question here, can you link me a video of 60fps where we can see the supposed port? I mean the only thing I saw and read was annoying bugs and some quests being stuck.

TW1 on normal was really easy.. some boss fights were hard, but mostly because of low fps (my own crappy PC at the time) :D

Oh, guys, please, in Normal in TW1 you had your ass beaten every time you went in an enemy encounter with more than 3 drowners, if you didn't drink Swallow first.

No, you just needed to use the almighty Group Style. Particularly on normal difficulty, that thing was overpowered as heck.

On a more serious note, re that review's comments: on normal/default difficulty, neither of the previous games required much by way of preparation. Sword skills have been, and seemingly remain the main and most powerful tool in combat, the rest are merely about enhancing the sword skills. Thus, it makes plenty of sense that on the standard settings, one can get by simply by using your sword. I know that was certainly my experience in the previous two games, so the comment appears to be somewhat misguided. If preparation was entirely unnecessary on the highest difficulty, then that might indeed be more of a concern, and arguably a diversion from the previous games.

Last edited:
Yeah :D .. atleast I have now time for something more productive to do :D .. I just said that why is today's society forcing authors or makers to do something they don't want to or don't have a reason to do.. Witcher world is mostly based on medieval Europe (mostly Central Europe), and if the author want's to world to be populated with white people, what's the problem? I don't see how can somebody take this as a offense.. That's like someone would make a story based in Africa revolving around black people and I would scream: "where are all the white people!".. just ridiculous.. but whatever.. let them have their fun there at NeoGaf.. anyway, the review isn't bad written or what, just I disagree with his opinions about the female characters in Witcher world and about that think for which I got ban :D but he still gave TW3 a solid 8 out of 10, so it's still ok..

Do you mean Exodus: Gods and Kings? Sorry had to do it.

I think Arthur's satire detector is broken

Problem is Polygon reviews entertainment, not art.

He can't understand that the portrayal, study and exploration of problems and struggle, are far more beneficial to both creators and players/readers/viewers than an idealistic power and happy fantasy aimed to please and act like escapism. Even if TW3 truly was sexist, it'd be a valuable thing to be exposed to, just like reading and listening the opinion of people you disagree with makes you grow, as long as its in a safe way, like videogames are.

Problem is Polygon reviews entertainment, not art.

He can't understand that the portrayal, study and exploration of problems and struggle, are far more beneficial to both creators and players/readers/viewers than an idealistic power and happy fantasy aimed to please and act like escapism. Even if TW3 truly was sexist, it'd be a valuable thing to be exposed to, just like reading and listening the opinion of people you disagree with makes you grow, as long as its in a safe way, like videogames are.

That's Polygon for you... good thing they are among the last sites that use their reviews to preach their special brand of "progressiveness". Also: No, the Witcher world is not misogynist, it's just incompatible with our modern word view... women hold as much power as man, it's just a different kind of power.

Last edited:
Polygon gonna Polygon. "I looked for a black dude everywhere, but none were to be found!" *SJW tears*

It's interesting to see how many reviewers heavily critique and even deride some aspects of the game, and yet still give it a good score. It's also clear some of them simply get gassed out on the long main quest. I pray it's not like a Rockstar game where Geralt is begrudgingly doing favors for everyone he meets. I truly hate that.

Last edited:
Wow, Polygon actually gave the game an 8? I was expecting a 7 tops. From what I've read the reviewer apparently had major issues with all the sexism in it (Keira Metz'es cleavage a major offender) and the lack of different skin colors. Just a normal day at Polygon I guess. Still, 8 is quite impressive from them.

But that absence of balance is itself a critique of the brutal world portrayed in the witcher.

But that is that it, it depends on the person. The reviewer sees it as too much and with lack of character agency. Some people can tolerate more than others, personally I can love a video games even if I know its more negative flaws but for some people that takes way their enjoyment of the other parts of the game, seems fair to me that different people react differently.

I am glad that reviews exists, what is the point of different reviews if they would say the same things and analyse the same problems? that would be pointless. I also believe that CDPR can always do better and the route to that is never stop having a critical mind.

Top Bottom