1.10 / A disaster of epic proportion..

+
Well... I want to say something to you, guys. I'm talking about NOT performance but of quest bugs and glitches.

I come from Skyrim Modding. I made over 50 mods, one is near DLC size with some quests and other things like voice acted NPCs.
I know, I know: Red Engine is pretty much different from GameBryo Engine, but the workflow of making mod and/or the game is the same thing: Creating assets, Creating NPCs, Creating Quests, Creating Triggers, Creating and attaching Scripts, etc.
I learned a thing about quest scripting: if you update a game (or a mod) when a quest is running, most probably you will still have a bugged quest because the (original) attached scripts are attached to the savegame too. This is to make sure to store stages, properties and variables.
Based on my experience in Skyrim, I can confirm that updating a script quest when this is running, you'll have a high percentage to get a screwed script, even if you add some "controllers" and/or "updaters" that fixes the ongoing quest because some things are permanently stored in the savegame.

In short: I think you have to restart the game with the new update if a quest is "very corrupted". The v1.0 is very huge patch and you should not consider to CONTINUE to play your game from a previous savegame.

In short: I think you have to restart the game with the new update if a quest is "very corrupted". The v1.0 is very huge patch and you should not consider to CONTINUE to play your game from a previous savegame.

That's precisely why I intend to start NG+ only when ALL of the expansions and patches are out. Let's face it. Since day 1 only Enhanced Editions provide the ultimate Witcher experience. That said I believe, that working on a single-player game for an entire year post-release is commendable and I do hope CDPR will keep doing that. Please, keep in mind, that compared to Ubisoft and Arkham Knight disasteres, it's a better way of doing things. Way, WAY better. So stop getting your panties in a bunch and give CDPR some credit where it's due. Is 1.10 messy? Yes. But it's not the end of the world, and not even close to what seems to be current gaming industry standard. And in contrast to what Ubi would have done, CDPR is actually working to resolve these problems.

That's precisely why I intend to start NG+ only when ALL of the expansions and patches are out. Let's face it. Since day 1 only Enhanced Editions provide the ultimate Witcher experience.

Even to this day the Witcher 2 EE is broken and I mean utterly broken, it crashes for every German version at the same point in the game, because there is a little bug with the German special vowels. A small and simple mod actually fixes this (or just playing the English version), but the vanilla German Version of The Witcher 2 EE is broken.

And about 1.10: Yeah, it is the mess I expected it to be. Let's face it: TW3 was too large for CDPR. Yes, the game holds it together most of the time for most people and is at least playable (and even that not for everyone), but it's glitches, bugs and issues are legion and CDPR seems to be unable to cope with it. Every patch brings at least one new bug for every two it tries to fix and from the two it tries to fix, one isn't actually fixed at all and there are still so many potentially quest stopping bugs in the game, nevermind all the problems on the maps, all the bad textures, misplaced objects, wonky animations, specially in a lot of cut scenes and so on. I started a new NG+ game after the 1.10 patch, so I play the game for the first time since the end of June or so and damn, after a couple of hours I already could fill 3-4 pages full of minor and larger bugs and problems. Roach is bugged, scabbards are gone, tons of objects and textures are still wrongly placed, hovering over the ground and so on, question mark stuff like freeing prisoners doesn't trigger right, animations during cut or dialogue scenes are often broken, potions don't wear off and so on and so on and so on...

And I haven't even run into the larger problems others have or had with the game. The worst I had was a few side quests not working. Still...now CPR is talking about the next game will be "far larger!" than TW3 and honestly I fear the worst for that one. They barely were able to pull of TW3, a game even far larger will fail.

Last edited:
@Gerudon
Please, name a game of similar scope to TW3 with considerably less bugs. It sure aint TES games. Nor AC games. Nor Deep Silver / Piranha Bytes games. Nor any game I can remember since...well... ever. It's simply not possible to gave a gargantuan and complex game without problems. Many, MANY problems.

Edit: I'd rather have messy brilliance, then polished horseshite. That's why I love Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines to death. And snore at most uninspired, so called AAA stuff. You can't have the cake and eat it too, you know.

Last edited:
Well... I want to say something to you, guys. I'm talking about NOT performance but of quest bugs and glitches.

I come from Skyrim Modding. I made over 50 mods, one is near DLC size with some quests and other things like voice acted NPCs.
I know, I know: Red Engine is pretty much different from GameBryo Engine, but the workflow of making mod and/or the game is the same thing: Creating assets, Creating NPCs, Creating Quests, Creating Triggers, Creating and attaching Scripts, etc.
I learned a thing about quest scripting: if you update a game (or a mod) when a quest is running, most probably you will still have a bugged quest because the (original) attached scripts are attached to the savegame too. This is to make sure to store stages, properties and variables.
Based on my experience in Skyrim, I can confirm that updating a script quest when this is running, you'll have a high percentage to get a screwed script, even if you add some "controllers" and/or "updaters" that fixes the ongoing quest because some things are permanently stored in the savegame.

Oh no. This is not what I wanted to hear. I was thinking of not continuing my game until 1.11 cause of so many issues with 1.10. Are you suggesting that most people deep into the game should restart from scratch? I also have made use of a lot of mods... this is another reason I was waiting to restart so I can give the modders time to update their mods to 1.10.

@Gerudon
Please, name a game of similar scope to TW3 with considerably less bugs. It sure aint TES games. Nor AC games. Nor Deep Silver / Piranha Bytes games. Nor any game I can remember since...well... ever. It's simply not possible to gave a gargantuan and complex game without problems. Many, MANY problems.

Yeah, that is the point: If you can't make a super huge game without it having massive bugs...MAKE A SMALLER ONE!

use the magic /* */ and // :D

I find it funny how people are quick to bash game developers and claim they know what are good and what are not good practices, how action X is preventable, etc etc. To people who work in the software industry, the mindless bitching is rather humorous, but sad at the same time, because it proves ignorance.

First and foremost, all software has bugs. Windows has bugs, your internet browser, your music player, your drivers, etc. No piece of software is bug free, period. Second, in a game as ambitious as The Witcher 3, there are bound to be some bugs. With all of the possible use cases/paths players can take, it is nearly impossible for ALL of the bugs to be caught in house for three reasons; 1) see my first point. 2) all of the different paths that were not thought of or are impossible to test in a reasonable time frame. 3) The fact that they only have X employees to do testing.

Fact is, when a company cuts a release of a patch or feature, they expect bugs to come in, because there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people prodding the game from every angle. Issues might seem "widespread", but that is just because people go to the internet to seek help or to complain, while the majority are playing quietly. Its just like reviews for a restaurant; the place is packed all of the time, but you see tons of 3, 2, and 1 star reviews complaining about an occasional poor services, food mishap, order mistake, etc.

It is sad for the employees at CDPR to see posts like this, because they want to put out the best game possible that users will enjoy. Same goes for any game company, the employees are not scum (though the execs might be). Incessant complaining does nothing to help them improve the game and fix the bugs. Instead what you should do is post the bug(s), and what you were doing in the best detail possible to help them replicate the issue and find out what is happening.
I keep seeing posts like this and it agitates me. For one these aren't just random bugs that require people to have done certain things in the game for them to occur. The things like the missing armor, and quests like Skelliges Most Wanted being broken are things that the majority of people that play the game run into. We ARE NOT talking about specialized cases like you are making it sound. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the bugs added in this last patch, however, Skelliges Most Wanted has been broken for months and still isn't fixed. These things are a pain, but you are right their job IS NOT EASY. The only thing that is bothering me is the fact that they aren't transparent with where they are at with these things. For example, people on console are still waiting for the fix to the Patch 1.10. That's ok CDPR you are working on it.... So where are you at with it... "Sorry there is no date that we can tell you for sure when the fix will be out"....... Okaaayyyy I'm not asking for a specific date, but you gotta know if its gonna take less than a month or more than a month right? "Sorry there is no date that we can tell you for sure when the fix will be out" OKAY, I get that but I'm not asking for a specific just a generalization. Could you at least tell me if it has been sent to the respective companies for verification or if you are still working on putting it together? "Sorry there is no date that we can tell you for sure when the fix will be out"....... It is this type of vague bullshit that is infuriating people more than anything. People would feel a hell of a lot more calm, if it felt like a fix was actually coming. Instead it feels like they are just brushing us off with the same generalized answer every time. no matter the context of what the hell you actually asked about the fix.

Last edited:

Guest 3837211

I keep seeing posts like this and it agitates me. For one these aren't just random bugs that require people to have done certain things in the game for them to occur. The things like the missing armor, and quests like Skelliges Most Wanted being broken are things that the majority of people that play the game run into. We ARE NOT talking about specialized cases like you are making it sound. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the bugs added in this last patch, however, Skelliges Most Wanted has been broken for months and still isn't fixed. These things are a pain, but you are right their job IS NOT EASY. The only thing that is bothering me is the fact that they aren't transparent with where they are at with these things. For example, people on console are still waiting for the fix to the Patch 1.10. That's ok CDPR you are working on it.... So where are you at with it... "Sorry there is no date that we can tell you for sure when the fix will be out"....... Okaaayyyy I'm not asking for a specific date, but you gotta know if its gonna take less than a month or more than a month right? "Sorry there is no date that we can tell you for sure when the fix will be out" OKAY, I get that but I'm not asking for a specific just a generalization. Could you at least tell me if it has been sent to the respective companies for verification or if you are still working on putting it together? "Sorry there is no date that we can tell you for sure when the fix will be out"....... It is this type of vague bullshit that is infuriating people more than anything. People would feel a hell of a lot more calm, if it felt like a fix was actually coming. Instead it feels like they are just brushing us off with the same generalized answer every time. no matter the context of what the hell you actually asked about the fix.

The problem is, that you don't know the majority. You only know the people coming to this forum and complaining. The Witcher 3 sold more than 6+ million copies. You just assuming because 10-20 people complain in this forum, that everyone has the same problem. But the majority might be silent, because they have no reason to come to this forum. I for example had no problem with Skelliges Most Wanted whatsoever. That doesn't mean the bug doesn't exist, but you could also assume that most of the 6 million don't have that problem either. You simple don't know.

The problem here is more, this forum is meant for talking about and reporting bugs. It is not meant for insulting or attacking people, developers and CD Projekt Red. This simply doesn't help. CD Projekt Red with now ~9 patches has shown their commitment to fix every bug possible and they continue to do so.
So people should try to help by reporting bugs and providing assistance, but complaining, exaggerating (every minor glitch is always game-breaking! ... or a disaster of epic proportion), demanding or insulting doesn't help anyone. You wont get your bug fixed earlier by doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is, that you don't know the majority. You only know the people coming to this forum and complaining. The Witcher 3 sold more than 6+ million copies. You just assuming because 10-20 people complain to this forum, that everyone has the same problem. But the majority might be silent, because they have no reason to come to this forum. I for example had no problem with Skelliges Most Wanted whatsoever. That doesn't mean the bug doesn't exist, but you could also assume that most of the 6 million don't have that problem either. You simple don't know.

The problem here is more, this forum is meant for talking about and reporting bugs. It is not meant for insulting or attacking people, developers and cdproject red. This simply doesn't help. CD projekt RED with now ~9 patches has shown their commitment to fix every bug possible and they continue to do so.
So people should try to help by reoprting bugs and providing assistance, but complaining, exaggerating (every minor glitch is always game-breaking! ... or a disaster of epic proprtion), demanding or insulting does help anyone. You wont get your bug fixed earlier by doing that.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the original post. FORGET THE BUGS. WHY ARE THEY SO VAGUE WITH THEIR ANSWERS. I'm not insulting anyone, I am asking for better communication about the issues.

Guest 3837211

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the original post. FORGET THE BUGS. WHY ARE THEY SO VAGUE WITH THEIR ANSWERS. I'm not insulting anyone, I am asking for better communication about the issues.

I was not talking about you in particular, just about the behaviour of people in general here and this is not helping.

I assume they're vague in ther communication, because if they put information out for example .... patch will be released at XX.XX.XXXX ... or this will be fixed ... and something happens (patch is delayed or bug is too complex and has unforseen side effects) people will appear in this forum and cause a shitstorm and start complaining.

So the approach would be, first finish the work then communicate what you have done.

I was not talking about you in particular, just about the behaviour of people in general here and this is not helping.

I assume their vague in ther communication, because if they put information out for example .... patch will be released at XX.XX.XXXX ... or this will be fixed ... and something happens (patch is delayed or bug is too complex and has unforseen side effects) people will appear in this forum and cause a shitstorm and start complaining.

So the approach would be, first finish the work then communicate what you have done.
I understand it from a logistics of what if we don't follow through. They don't need to be specific about when, just the what. We are currently working on "X". It would make a lot of people more calm. I think I am already fairly calm, but the subject does put a knot in my stomach because I am unable to play. It would relieve some anxiety about the game if I knew what was happening, Currently I am just distracting myself with another game, but checking these forums almost daily.

I understand it from a logistics of what if we don't follow through. They don't need to be specific about when, just the what. We are currently working on "X". It would make a lot of people more calm. I think I am already fairly calm, but the subject does put a knot in my stomach because I am unable to play. It would relieve some anxiety about the game if I knew what was happening, Currently I am just distracting myself with another game, but checking these forums almost daily.

They stated that they were working on a fix day one. Unreal.

this forum is meant for talking about and reporting bugs. It is not meant for insulting or attacking people, developers and cdproject red.
To elaborate:
This forum is for unofficial, volunteer tech support. CDPR developers are not obliged to comment here, and demands for them to reply, no matter how justified you may think they are, are just a waste of bits.

Now get back to discussing actual bugs and solutions before the moderators have to intervene. With banhammers trimmed to resemble pruning hooks.

vladgiurgiubv

I will never buy a CDPR game again....even if they are nice guys that want to do things right and do their best to improve things, it's not working
Maybe the management is to blame...They wanted to create their own engine and until now it has been a complete failure
(tip: maybe next time you consider a game-engine that is supported by a separate company which dedicates it's time to the engine completely)

I will never buy a CDPR game again....even if they are nice guys that want to do things right and do their best to improve things, it's not working
Maybe the management is to blame...They wanted to create their own engine and until now it has been a complete failure
(tip: maybe next time you consider a game-engine that is supported by a separate company which dedicates it's time to the engine completely)

Think people need to calm down, if you think CDPR is alone in this bug thing your sorely mistaken.

I didnt complete Skyrim before almost a year after release, it was so buggy I just had to quit. (constant crashes, quests bugs, dragons flying backwards etc etc)

I promise you Fallout 4 is gonna be buggy aswell. Its just how it is when games are of this magnitude.

Well - that's an bit harsh, is it not?

Using an in-house engine has a lot of advances, because the developers can make the game and tweak the engine at the same time to get the best results. I do not agree with the "complete failure" statement. For me, and many others, the bugs are on par with a lot of other game developers (that have an multitude of developers that CDPR has).

Using an game engine from an separate company (for instance - the cryengine) is no guarantee of success either. I have games that where severely crippled (on the PC) by using an non-inhouse engine. That company that has produced the game (and is larger than CDPR), has not even solved all the bugs and shortcomings from a game that they have launched almost an year ago! It took even almost two months to solve the first handful of bugs (and yes, introducing new ones at the same time). Compare that to CDPR.

I agree with the statements made by tr1n. The game may have bugs, but the majority is not game-breaking and not everyone suffers from this bugs. And developers announcing they are working on bug "X", will get an storm of comment why they are not working on bug "Y" or "Z". And if they announce even an very broad date the work could maybe be finished if everything goes as planned, they will get the same storm one hour after that date is passed. I can fully understand that they only announce things when they are ready..

Top Bottom