Character Appearances

+
I'll be honest. I found the old design to be rather unique. I didn't find it to be very Sauronish to be honest. The first time I looked at him I went "Oh shit, I have to fight that guy?"
Most video game enemies don't make me say that but the old design for Eredin did. This new one eh not so much IMO

Definitely agree with what you just said!

For everyone who said it was too Sauronish I can see a slight resemblance but.. Not too much ..

And for everyone who points out that the old design was too bulky.. Yes maybe but I don't understand why they couldn't have just cut his shoulder armour down size a bit? Isnt that the most bulky part? And maybe messed around with the crown design a bit?

I am not too much of a fan for his latest design however his first wasnt perfect either. Instead of going to both extremes I don't understand why they couldn't meet in the middle.

Definitely agree with what you just said!

For everyone who said it was too Sauronish I can see a slight resemblance but.. Not too much ..

And for everyone who points out that the old design was too bulky.. Yes maybe but I don't understand why they couldn't have just cut his shoulder armour down size a bit? Isnt that the most bulky part? And maybe messed around with the crown design a bit?

I am not too much of a fan for his latest design however his first wasnt perfect either. Instead of going to both extremes I don't understand why they couldn't meet in the middle.

Yeah I wished they met more in the middle. Honestly his Design is so different that's why I had to ask if it was the same person or not. IMO too drastic of a change, and he isn't as menacing as he use to be. When I saw the Elder blood trailer I said to myself "Oh he must be the third boss or something like that" not "Oh shit, I have to fight that guy?" like I said before.

Who knows maybe we'll get an alternate appearance DLC for him to make him look more like the original design, just like Yennefer. That would be sweet!

Yeah I wished they met more in the middle. Honestly his Design is so different that's why I had to ask if it was the same person or not. IMO too drastic of a change, and he isn't as menacing as he use to be. When I saw the Elder blood trailer I said to myself "Oh he must be the third boss or something like that" not "Oh shit, I have to fight that guy?" like I said before.

Who knows maybe we'll get an alternate appearance DLC for him to make him look more like the original design, just like Yennefer. That would be sweet!

Yep! Exactly!
Oh well all we can do is hope that they have a change of heart again or as you have said an alternate appearance haha

I did like a lot of elements of the older Eredin design. The new one looks too lightly armored to me, and the pink looks out of place, but not in a good way. The new one really needs some bigger shoulder pauldrons. I don't mind the new helmet, but it might be better if the spikes on top looked more like a proper crown in some way.

I will repeat myself, but I liked old design better. New armor design is good, but the helmet was much better in previous version - I am talking only about front, not the crown. Crown was a little bit ridiculous, now it's perfect, I only miss the old helmets "face".

I did like a lot of elements of the older Eredin design. The new one looks too lightly armored to me, and the pink looks out of place, but not in a good way. The new one really needs some bigger shoulder pauldrons. I don't mind the new helmet, but it might be better if the spikes on top looked more like a proper crown in some way.

old crow has very strong gothic look

Personally I prefer the new armor look and design . The first armor had a more the look of grandeur and a flamboyish and not to mention Sauronesque feel than anything else and not what I expect to see from The Wild Hunt .

The old design had a badass and kingish helm,what i really like,and a new one has just an ok helm(looks cool but not that cool as the old one) BUT i like he's new armor much more 'cause it has a really creative design.
He is looks like a skinned,ripped chested man and thats really cool IMO.

I'd prefer having the shoulder Armor and Helmet of the first design and having the chest and legs armor/outfit of the newer one. Both combined would look perfect IMO.

Personally I prefer the new armor look and design . The first armor had a more the look of grandeur and a flamboyish and not to mention Sauronesque feel than anything else and not what I expect to see from The Wild Hunt .
No one really sees or cares about the resemblance, the old design was better because it made Eredin's appearance more intimidating and when you saw it you thought "now that's probably their leader", because the old design made him look much more unique than the rest of his grunts, and slightly larger. Now, when I saw the redesign, without hearing about it before, I though it was just another generic grunt with spikes on his head. Literally nothing makes him stand out among his other dudes, and this is what's pretty disappointing, I bet CDPR could make a much better design than that.

No one really sees or cares about the resemblance,
"No-one" here, seeing and caring about the resemblance. Hi.

the old design was better because it made Eredin's appearance more intimidating and when you saw it you thought "now that's probably their leader", because the old design made him look much more unique than the rest of his grunts, and slightly larger. Now, when I saw the redesign, without hearing about it before, I though it was just another generic grunt with spikes on his head. Literally nothing makes him stand out among his other dudes, and this is what's pretty disappointing, I bet CDPR could make a much better design than that.
People keeping talking in such authoritative rhetoric when discussing design choice, sheesh.

To me, the old design wasn't better. It didn't make Eredin more intimidating. To me. I did think "this is their leader", but standing out isn't inherently meritorious. Unique isn't always better. Personally, when I saw him with that bucket on his head and tank-armor for shoulder pads, I felt it was a bit ridiculous.

He either couldn't move fast with such bulky armor, which reduced much of his "scary-factor" for me. Or alternatively, he could move very fast with all that bulky armor, in which case it would juts feel cartoonish to me.

His previous bulkiness was out of sync with the rest of CDPR's style. It would stand out as something from a different game - not as a character from a different world in the same game.

Yes.
The new armor does not back up his status as King of the Wild Hunt. He looks like an average Wild Hunt rider.

I also feel the new design looks a bit too standard where the old design was over the top, especially the helmet. In action, that may have looked weird. The new design is by no means bad though.

Very few generals \ kings in CDPR's games stood out so ridiculously, if at all.

Foltest and Henslet, they were a bit more fancy, but nothing over-the-top. Did Saskia look like a leader, or just another "generic (woman) soldier"? Did Radovid look significantly different than other knights?

Does Emhyr var Emreis look like the Emperor that he is?

Eredin's new "generic" (arguably - I really like his look and I find his stance when facing off who is speculated to be Hjalmar in Elder Blood to be very powerful) is in line with the rest of CDPR's general design - standing out when they can, but never grotesquely so.

As far as I'm concerned, Eredin's new look has a practicality about it that I really appreciate. It's similar to Triss in TW2, in a sense. She was the first female character I've seen in a game that was dressed for her role; that is, a woman who spends her time on the field, on the road, traveling and fighting, and requiring utilitarian garments as such. It made me like her all the more. And it's making me like Eredin all the more. His new look tells me that this is a guy of action, coming to "work", so to speak. He's mission-oriented and pragmatic with his choices... of armor, at least.

A different mindset, I guess. His older look made me think "C'mon, who is this schmuck?". I couldn't take him seriously. Now I can. A subtle crown is all he needs.

@B l a d y good point. Noted. There is precedence to some overly bulky design in their games. I won't argue about it being a curse and yada yada because it'll be clinging to straws.

That being said, I still find even that design silly and out of place. So much that I needed a moment to understand from what game it was taken from. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. Let alone the size of the Draug.

His old design was a treat to look at. Eredin's horrific presence was felt with the older design, something I can't say about the new one. Bulkiness and effectiveness in battle could have been solved by and extra battle suit for specific violent encounters with him (or perhaps leave it as is since we're talking about an alien from a different dimension?). I thought that Eredin lurks in such places where there is no mortal opponent worthy of him, hence he has no issue going around with his royal badassery, letting his grunts do all the dirty work for him. He just has to slay the occasional villager, kidnap a few people - and call it a day. Also, I am a sucker for Gothic architecture, so naturally his crown was a real turn-on for me.

The new design is really weak and uninspired, methinks.

Top Bottom