Do you play without the HUD ?

+
The way I play is so unimaginable to, nearly, all other players I'd just be wasting my time explaining so long story-explanation short after 201 hours I finally found the bathhouse.

I want an "immersive" HUD. Like some modders made for games like Skyrim. But I doubt CDPR will do this, so please give us the mod tool ;)

The way I play is so unimaginable to, nearly, all other players I'd just be wasting my time explaining so long story-explanation short after 201 hours I finally found the bathhouse.

What is it? You don't even use the worldmap to look at the general direction of places?

I try to keep it realistic. The only things on my HUD are: my health (Geralt would know when he's wounded), damaged items (he would see the sword and armour getting damaged) and the elixir timers (he would feel when the effects wear off). Everything else is switched off, including quest text, enemy health bars etc.

On the main map I have only left the following: signposts, traders (including blacksmiths and herbalists), boats and inns. Everything else is switched off.

The game became much more interesting that way. I also try not to look at the map for current quest location. Instead I listen carefully to what the characters tell me and to what Geralt mumbles to himself :) If I can't figure it out I then look at the map, but I don't hover my mouse over the quest pointer so that I don't know exactly what to do (like "Talk to this person").

I try to play through the game with as little hints and possible. It's an amazing experience.

The only thing that's missing is the compass, that's a real PITA and it makes it a little hard sometimes. The signposts could actually have real names written on them - that would help A LOT. I'm thinking Skyrim here - the signposts there had real city names on them so you knew which direction to go without looking at the map...

RedKit, we need you!

I have additional equipment and buffs (because I walk around overburdened since I like the camera better that way) disabled but everything else is enabled. I might turn off the map at some point, not yet. I enjoyed playing Red Dead Redemption without HUD, feels way more immersive and realistic that way. But even though I thought I knew the map in and out, I found myself looking at the map way too often which interfered with the gameplay

EDIT: Oh, and I also have the HUD set to small and disable active quests when I'm not doing one right now

Last edited:
Aye, that's one of the many things I do to keep the gameplay immersive... now I just require a compass; that I would have on my HUD.

But a compass would be unrealistic, unless you mean basic NESW cardinal direction and no POIs or Quest indication whatsoever.
The problem is these kinda games, unlike let's say Morrowind, are not setup with that kinda playstyle in mind.
It is doable though, because unlike Skyrim more often than not, especially for Witcher contracts, you are given a basic general direction and a landmark.
Witcher senses also help in other cases.

But a compass would be unrealistic, unless you mean basic NESW cardinal direction and no POIs or Quest indication whatsoever.

I don't know what else having a compass would mean. So, yes, of course only cardinal directions. ~cheers~

Ok. Not really sure where you're trying to take this. Have fun.

Just pointing out that having a compass in the context of an RPG game (or any game really) does not automatically equate to the mere 4 cardinal points. Just clearing things up. No need to be a massive obnoxious d****, really.

.. a first person view toggle to look at a real map in one hand and a compass in the other, with odd an various mumbling from Geralt about how lost he is. While the rest of the world continues to exist.. Yeah, a modding tool is the only thing that is going to save us from the console styled HUD bling and UI dependencies.

No, I don't, but I would love if we had the option to turn on/off the HUD completely with a simple hotkey in-game.

Top Bottom