Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought and downloaded the pdf version of the newest gamestar magazine. It was written by a guy who played the game for 2 whole days without any limitations. I want to share some of his impressions and new information. There are also tons of new screens (including a pic of the skilltree), but I think I'm not allowed to post them here (correct me If I'm wrong)

- since the january hands-on they heavily enhanced the combat. It's extremly fluent, accurate and comprehensible now. (with a gamepad, mouse and keyboard is still a bit squishy, but CD Prject Red promised to correct it till release)

- after fighting with a gamepad, he used a mouse, which automatically changed the on-screen display. He praises the comfort to use a gamepad during combat/exploring and a mouse in the menus.

-difficulties (easy, normal, hard, dark) are always changeaable. The difficulty changes the enemy intelligence (for example monsters evade less often on the lower difficulties) but not the hitpoints

- a lot of customization, including the deactivation of quest-markers and points of interest markers. You can even experience Geralt's adventure completely without any on-screen display

- Bargaining with people about monster- hunting rewards will be done in a minigame. There will be a seperate window, in which you type the gold you want. At the same time you can see how angry the npc is. if you overdo it he/she will cancel the negotiation and you have to accept the minimum reward.

- kaer morhen and surroundings are about as big as the prologue area. (4-5 hours of gameplay)

- horse items: saddlebag (more space) , blinders (less chance to be dropped off the horse), sattle (determinates the horse stamina)

- heavy usage of the surroundigs. For example the gamestar guy met a enemy with a skull symbol (too difficult to fight) There was a hive nearby. He shot it with the crossbow-> the bees attacked the enemy and he run off
Generally he praises the small details. Geralt can blow down bottles, break fences or even make blinds swing with his aard sign
He mentions how impressed he was, when Roach randomly ate a apple from a upset basket with apples

- the boat has a damage-model ( didn't say anything about if it's visual)

- a lot of choices with huge consequences

-There is a quest:
A baron has information about Ciri, but he want's us to do something for him before. For the gamestar guy it was the gameplay- and narrative-wise best quest he has ever experienced in a rpg. " We operate as a detective, talk to suspects, shepherd a stubborn goat, fight with ghosts and wild animals and much more. All this, just to learn about such a gruesome and touching secret, that I was speechless."

- we will spent between 5-10 hours playing Ciri (no character development while playing her, whole focus on the story)
Ciri can blink, There will be even more powerful abilities later

- there will be 5-6 smaller, more linear regions during the story.He saw two of this regions (not kaer morhen or orchard village), but doesn't want to spoil them, because they are very different visually and it seem's also huge story spoilers.

-only three bugs during this 2 days

Conclusion:
[....]"My two days with Geralt were one of the most beautiful, most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life"

Last edited:
Oh man that almost all sounds just so fucking fantastic. Like, holy shit, give me the fucking game already. Fuck.

Although there was one sad tidbit to read:
mouse and keyboard is still a bit squishy, but CD Prject Red promised to correct it till release

Guess there's always going to be key rebinding, but frankly it just sounds like there's a lack of care for KB/M controls, where they're sort of scrambling to make KB/M work right at the end of development and that's not a great sign - but we'll wait and see.

Thank you so much for the translation!
It's nice to hear they keep improving the combat, although I hope CDPR manages to iron out K+B controls just as well - I own a gamepad but it still feels clunky to me playing games where you have to turn the camera around.

Bargaining is something really new and unexpected, should be fun.

kaer morhen and surroundings are about as big as the prologue area.
Does that mean you can only visit Kaer Morhen in specific sequences? I thought we could visit it whenever we want. :ermm:

Last edited:
Oh, right. Got so excited I forgot to ask what was on my mind. @Scryar when they said the combat is improved, do they mean just the controls, or animations, speed, attacks chaining together and other on-screen stuff like that?

That I will take with a grain of salt, though. Big words there.
I have a problem. I'm all out of grains of salts at this point.

Need to go take a cold shower to calm down my excitement.

Does that mean you can only visit Kaer Morhen in specific sequences? I thought we could visit it whenever we want. :ermm:

Eh I thought that was always how it was going to be (Story-Specific). Kaer Morhen is a pretty large distance away so manual travel is impossible, and I doubt Vesemir/Eskel/Lambert are just going to chill there the entire period of time the game is going for, so it would be kind of weird Fast-Travelling to Kaer Morhen and nobody is there.

Oh, right. Got so excited I forgot to ask what was on my mind. @Scryar when they said the combat is improved, do they mean just the controls, or animations, speed, attacks chaining together and other on-screen stuff like that?

I have a problem. I'm all out of grains of salts at this point.

Need to go take a cold shower to calm down my excitement.

He was talking about the controls.

---------- Updated at 12:55 PM ----------

Thank you so much for the translation!
It's nice to hear they keep improving the combat, although I hope CDPR manages to iron out K+B controls just as well - I own a gamepad but it still feels clunky to me playing games where you have to turn the camera around.

Bargaining is something really new and unexpected, should be fun.

As far as I know, we can visit the prologue area whenever we want. I guess we will unlock Kaer Morhen at some point in the story and we can visit it whenever we want from then on.

-difficulties (easy, normal, hard, dark) are always changeaable. The difficulty changes the enemy intelligence (for example monsters evade less often on the lower difficulties) but not the hitpoints

- a lot of customization, including the deactivation of quest-markers and points of interest markers. You can even experience Geralt's adventure completely without any on-screen display

That sounds great, so you can completely turn off the HUD, huh.
As the intelligence increases on higher difficulty, how good is the A.I though? Is there any mentioning of it?

- a lot of choices with huge consequences

Did it say how the choices you make are impacting the game overall and do the consequences leave you with doubts that you should have made a different choice?

Last edited:
Now that was a good read. I have gut feeling that this game will become the rpg standard for the rest of the decade. It can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Various Witcher clones for example, every game will try to be one.

@Scryar Thanks for the translation!
Where did you buy the .pdf? I'm probably going to buy it too, even though I don't understand German, just for the screenshots.

By the way, I wonder, was this two-day gameplay session exclusive to Gamestar? It's interesing whether we'll get impressions from such a prolonged experience with TW3 from other sources.

Last edited:
@Scryar Thanks for the translation!
Where did you buy the .pdf? I'm probably going to buy it too, even though I don't understand German, just for the screenshots.

By the way, I wonder, was this two-day gameplay session exclusive to Gamestar? It's interesing whether we'll get impressions from such a prolonged experience with TW3 from other sources.

Here: https://www.idgshop.de/GameStar-XL-04-2015.htm?websale8=idg&pi=1-5556&ci=140-5298

4€ (4,3$) if you buy .PDF version :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom