Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's the same episode for sure, but a different frame (not included in trailer). I just rewatched the trailer for about 50th time :D.

"We don't want to annoy the players"

Disclaimer: I'm doing this on behalf of my Russian friend, whose concerns I share to some degree. The issue is basically this:

In a recent interview with Igromir magazine the Witcher 3 developers told us repeatedly that they are afraid "to annoy the players". There are their exact words, translated from Russian (if they were originally translated from Polish, is anyone's guess):

Q: What about hunger?
A: I want to say, as a designer, that it would be really annoying if you had to hunt first then eat, and in a couple of hours you're gonna be hungry again, so you start losing health or stamina.
Q: Is that hard to implement?
A: Yeah, there could be some problem and in my opinion that would be very inconvenient. Our major goal is to not annoy the player. If your character has to eat every two, three, hours, that will become annoying, especailly if you don't have any food, or if you had to carry an entire bag of food with you, which would leave no space for your equipment.
Q: Will there be any quests with time limit on them?
A: Probably not. We think that such limitations can get annoying for the players.

In this context I see what they're saying, and I agree. But then I remembered this bit from another interview published in August:

Q: The books mention various characteristics of some locations, for example, if you're in the middle of a cannabis field, it starts blocking your magic powers. Are we going to see anything like that in the Witcher 3?
A: No. We don't want to limit the player during the gameplay. You will be able to use all your powers at any time without restrictions, in any situation or location.

And that got me worried somewhat. Those words about annoyance and unwillingness to restrict the player put me on alert in a sense that they sounded like a continuous motif throughout all the development process. I mean, what of the developers use the same approach on other aspects of the game? What if the gameplay will be focused on players who don't want to be inconvenienced or face any challenges? What if they prioritize not being annoying?

This is more or less what he wrote to me. What do you think? Are there anything to be concerned about?

Disclaimer: I'm doing this on behalf of my Russian friend, whose concerns I share to some degree. The issue is basically this:

In a recent interview with Igromir magazine the Witcher 3 developers told us repeatedly that they are afraid "to annoy the players". There are their exact words, translated from Russian (if they were originally translated from Polish, is anyone's guess):

A: I want to say, as a designer, that it would be really annoying if you had to hunt first then eat, and in a couple of hours you're gonna be hungry again, so you start losing health or stamina.
A: Yeah, there could be some problem and in my opinion that would be very inconvenient. Our major goal is to not annoy the player. If your character has to eat every two, three, hours, that will become annoying, especailly if you don't have any food, or if you had to carry an entire bag of food with you, which would leave no space for your equipment.
A: Probably not. We think that such limitations can get annoying for the players.

In this context I see what they're saying, and I agree. But then I remembered this bit from another interview published in August:

Q: The books mention various characteristics of some locations, for example, if you're in the middle of a cannabis field, it starts blocking your magic powers. Are we going to see anything like that in the Witcher 3?
A: No. We don't want to limit the player during the gameplay. You will be able to use all your powers at any time without restrictions, in any situation or location.

And that got me worried somewhat. Those words about annoyance and unwillingness to restrict the player put me on alert in a sense that they sounded like a continuous motif throughout all the development process. I mean, what of the developers use the same approach on other aspects of the game? What if the gameplay will be focused on players who don't want to be inconvenienced or face any challenges? What if they prioritize not being annoying?

This is more or less what he wrote to me. What do you think? Are there anything to be concerned about?

What can I say.... Yes, there are something to be concerned about. But it isn't the first time. Because The Dumbing Down has begun couple years earlier.

The Elder Scrolls : The Dumbing Down

Maybe in The Witcher 3 it won't be "Dumbing Down", but something more like "Compromise". That is the only chance.
[But I remember, that "the need to eat" in some games wasn't annoying (for me). There are many RPG (and other games too), where "we" need to eat.... and it is ok.]

I agree on the proposed hunger mechanic and, to some extent on the bit about wading through cannabis fields surpressing Geralt's ability to cast signs - that's taking it probably a little bit too far, as far as I'm concerned. However, if there's an audience for that kind of uber-realistic survivalist gameplay style, I (in place of CDPR) would at least try to support that by including an entirely optional game mode or something that would allow for that kind of stuff.

CDPR's apparent urge to wrap EVERY player in cotton wool certainly shows, if you look at some of the features or mechanics and how they were (and still are(?)) implemented, like the hand holding mini-map, certain aspects of the Witcher Senses or auto-refilling potions. Admittedly all still WIP and probably subject to change, of course, but if that's supposed to not be the case one can only hope that these 'compromises' are optional or bound to a specific mode or difficulty at least and not forced on everybody.

CDPR's claim about 'hating stupid games' may still very well apply in terms of the commitment to deliver on the mature, compelling and complex story-telling side of things involving well written and fleshed out characters but as far as the gameplay (and certain aspects of it) is concerned, I'm not so sure anymore.

Last edited:

Ehhh, come one, those words were said in a very specific context and you just take them out of it and try to apply them to the whole development process in general. Which I don't think is a fair thing to do, really.

As someone who is intrested in game desing I mostly disagree with them. As hunger goes it can work pretty nicely. Legend of Grimrock is good example. Hunger provides health and mana regenaration. Feeding is necessary only from time to time and game provides enough food so player has to only keep collecting food from ground and hunger as a mechanic makes sense in case of LoG, because you are group of heroes who are surving in dungeon. However, in TW it is unnecessary because it is not game about surviving although it could work and provide reasons why to implement hunting wild animals and fishing so players who would dislike to do that could simply buy food sacrificing small part of their gold. Now you could argue that hunting wild animals and fishing are not important activities in such a game which is right but in my mind they make more sense than diving which I think is also harder to implement in my opinion. And they could be pretty fun and solid distraction.

Timed quests are not very good for rpg. I know it was in first Stalker and it was quite annoying. Game simply forced you to hurry up instead enjoying the game quest by quest. So I agree with no for timed quests.

As for disallowing players to use some abilites it depends on certain situation but generally I think if you disallow players to use something for some clear purpose(force them to be creative=disrupt otherwise common/easy strategy to win) it could be a good thing. It must not be unfair though. Player can´t feel that the game is cheating. Then it gets annoying.

Obviously I don´t mean to sound that I understand game desing more than boys and girls in CDPR, just sharing my honest amateur opinion.

I don't envy CDPR. It's a very tough line to walk, deciding what constitutes as annoying and what is just a good challenge. Personally I think that food mechanics could become annoying while certain areas that suppress magic, or significantly affect this or that sign, could be pretty awesome. But what do I know. I can just hope that they haven't removed challenging ideas for fear of scaring newcomers away, and trust that they carefully thought about what would become "annoying" or not. We voice our opinions where specific matters are involved and shown, such as the alchemy system or the minimap aid.

Maybe, just maybe-some sort of basic needs system will be fine...That Geralt must eat, drink and sleep. Something similar to hardcore mode in New Vegas. And optional, of course...
But, on second thought-does Witcher game really needs that? Meh, I don't think so...

Last edited:

It's unfortunate this feature will be not included, it'd be more interesting with it. It could've become a Superman's kryptonite analogue, only in relation to the witcher. Also you could've used it tactically: for example you could lure some magic monster there and gain an advantage over it or at least level your chances.

Last edited:
What can I say.... Yes, there are something to be concerned about. But it isn't the first time. Because The Dumbing Down has begun couple years earlier.

The Elder Scrolls : The Dumbing Down

Maybe in The Witcher 3 it won't be "Dumbing Down", but something more like "Compromise". That is the only chance.
[But I remember, that "the need to eat" in some games wasn't annoying (for me). There are many RPG (and other games too), where "we" need to eat.... and it is ok.]
OMG THIS! I'm 95% sure TW3 will be a similar case, it will most probably be dumbed down.

http://it.ign.com/the-witcher-3-pc/...itcher-3-il-suo-universo-narrativo-le-meccani
Interview with Karolina Kuzia, Quest Designer, for Italian IGN.

It's Karolina ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom