Isn't flotsam forest still far more beautiful than anything in witcher 3?

+
(GT)

Kikimore, koschey. These are just names. Nothing more.
Vampires are a part of pop culture and that is the only reason why they are in the books.

Flotsam to this day is one of the most visually impressive levels I've seen, and I wish there was a forest of that magnitude in TW3, even if it meant a loading screen because the art assets and tree size are so different. The massive verticality and mist welling up from the ground gave it a menacing, primeval feeling.

Swamps of TW1 and Flostam Forest of TW2 and Kaer Morhen of TW3... If nobody finds me look for me in these places. I use to lose myself there.

(GT)

Kikimore, koschey. These are just names. Nothing more.
Vampires are a part of pop culture and that is the only reason why they are in the books.

Kikimore, koschey, vodyanoi, leshen - yeah these are just names (well the last two are the same is in Slavic folklore) but they are not of Western culture nonetheless.

I enjoy seeing creature from different folklore, the slavic creatures in the witcher add so much flavor i prefer them over the regular western fantasy creatures.
Vampires in this game divided to higher and lower vampires higher like the bruxa and Katakan, lower like the Ekimma and Fleder, each have different powers according to vampire type
I like how known creatures have different behavior then the tolkin fantasy games, in my opinion the fact that trolls are not the huge stupid violent creature is refreshing.

TW2 may have used SpeedTree in some areas, but the Flotsam forest, cannot be SpeedTree. Too perfect a layout.

Well SpeedTree is literally used to create photo-realistic quality vegetation in blockbuster films, so it's capable of much more than what you'd see at its lowest common denominator. And yes, TW2 uses SpeedTree animation.

Personally I think what made Flotsam so unique was the graphical layers - the vegetation, the mist, the water, the architecture, creatures, the DoF, and those amazing trees all layered on top of each other. TW3 achieves this in places, but never to quite the atmospheric extent of Flotsam.

What? Geralt accidentally stumbling without a stair under his feet? I can't believe you! ;)
It was weird stumbling, I can tell you :D :D

Btw, why are we talkin' about 'fuck off' vampire here? Aren't we suppose to admire the beauty of Flotsam forest in this thread? :D

Hmm, Flotsam forest is an amazing location, but it´s not like TW3 doesen´t have it´s own gems - sailing into Novigrad Harbour close to dusk, slowly riding up to Kaer Trolde and taking in the view and then there is the view from the walls of Kaer Morhen... The valley and lake are amazing :) The game is huge, CDPR can´t tailor every location to the same extent that they did with TW2 x)

Just seen the best looking part of TW3 for me so far, apart from the scenic vistas in skellige. The quest with yennefer and Ermion say nothing beyond that, but going to the part of the forest with the spell in middle rain pouring huge mountain in the background with lightning and the moon shining down pitch black except for it. Light and rain bouncing off the trees that are shaking in the storm looks stunning in game i took a screenshot but it doesnt even come close to doing justice to what its like in person.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I don't think it's true at all. Most areas of TW3 beats the shit out of Flotsam handily, no matter from what angle you look at them.
They look prettier, more elaborate, bigger, the weather effects add a lot to make them come alive and most of these forests, caves, etc also have a far more interesting, elaborate layout (the world building for the first time remembered me Gothic 2 in several areas, which is a very big praise).
Last but not least, the environment this time has a more genuine sense of place, where you can climb, fall, jump and interact in other ways, instead of feeling like a bunch of well-adorned corridors crossing each other.

I genuinely could not take seriously anyone trying to suggest TW2 environment did ANYTHING better than 3, not even in isolate moments, let alone as an ongoing trend.
I'll blame it on some misplaced nostalgia.

I don't think it's true at all. Most areas of TW3 beats the shit out of Flotsam handily, no matter from what angle you look at them.
They look prettier, more elaborate, bigger, the weather effects add a lot to make them come alive and most of these forests, caves, etc also have a far more interesting, elaborate layout (the world building for the first time remembered me Gothic 2 in several areas, which is a very big praise).
Last but not least, the environment this time has a more genuine sense of place, where you can climb, fall, jump and interact in other ways, instead of feeling like a bunch of well-adorned corridors crossing each other.

I genuinely could not take seriously anyone trying to suggest TW2 environment did ANYTHING better than 3, not even in isolate moments, let alone as an ongoing trend.
I'll blame it on some misplaced nostalgia.

Nice to see you're keeping an open mind on the subject, lol. But seriously, the fact is that The Witcher 2 has plenty of textures, assets, and post-processing affects that are higher quality than those in The Witcher 3. Ubersampling comes to mind as the most obvious example, compared to TW3's AA option, which is as barebones as it gets. It's no secret why this is - TW3's open world necessitates sacrifices in certain areas, even though the game usually compensates for those sacrifices in other areas. It's not simply a coincidence that all these people are discussing what made Flotsam forest so visually appealing that is has no counterpart in TW3. The forest & the town of Lobinden were meticulously crafted because the devs didn't have a whole world to create. That's not to take anything away from TW3, but more to express how truly unique this particular environment of TW2 was (and remains to this day).

Top Bottom