Loading times and loading screen

+
yeah, the speech itself does seem to slow down loading times. When I die and reload from the last save, it only takes me about 3 seconds or so, where if I manually reload an earlier save it can take up to 10 seconds or longer. And listening to what sounds like an old and unmelodious man who doesnt sound at all like dandelion can grate on the nerves if you have to hear it over and over while loading saves.

Hmm... my saves and game both are on SSD. I don't see any HDD light activity when the narrator is speaking but I can cut the conversation in half sometimes.

Unfortunately, I have to live with these split locations, as I could only afford a small solid-state for important files and OS, so space is rather limited.

Unfortunately, I have to live with these split locations, as I could only afford a small solid-state for important files and OS, so space is rather limited.

I hear ya. I purchased two 240 GB SSDs just for TW3 and they costed me a fortune, my main reason of worry came from TW2 as it was painfully slow when you click on load button (specially if you have large number of saves), fortunately TW3 is very fast in showing load dialog though now we have a grand pa telling same story over and over.

Agreed we need to get the story recaps removed or at least made properly skippable. As has been pointed out, reloading from death doesn't take anywhere near as long as going through the story recaps. Games and saves on a Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Can loading screen narration/video be disabled?

In a game full of terrific stuff, one incredibly annoying hassle is being forced to listen over and over, and over - the narration and cut scene whenever loading a save game (or zoning to another map - but this one I can live with)

The forced narration, which you can't space bar through like quest text/dialog, forces people with super fast SD drives to basically plod along at the speed of the slowest. The game doesn't even begin to start the load game process until the narration is done - it's not like the narration is there to occupy time while the game loads in the background - they are sequential, not concurrent.

For re-loading to try out different quest endings, paths, or just re-fighting combat - it's incredibly annoying.

For in-between map zones, while bothersome, I can live with it as you generally don't zone back and forth as much as you would load/reload games. I'd take the option to skip these too, but it doesn't impact my QoL as much as the reducing of my SDD being irrelevant for saved game load times since the narration is order of magnitude longer than the actual game load time.

Is there any way to skip, remove, or disable to pita "feature"?

Yeah, the narration should only happen when opening a save from the main menu. There's little benefit in listening it every time you have to reload.

I agree, very very annoying feature. Each video should play once as you progress, and then never again.

I agree. If they must include those screens, instead of that awful sketching/comic design (The Witcher 2 had the same kind of crappy art for certain storytelling - never played the original game), they should have been at least been done in this quality/style:

Attachments

• witcher3_en_wallpaper_wallpaper_7_1920x1080_1433245915.jpg
    witcher3_en_wallpaper_wallpaper_7_1920x1080_1433245915.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 52
  • witcher3_en_wallpaper_wallpaper_5_1920x1080_1433245839.jpg
    witcher3_en_wallpaper_wallpaper_5_1920x1080_1433245839.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 42
The forced narration, which you can't space bar through like quest text/dialog, forces people with super fast SD drives to basically plod along at the speed of the slowest. The game doesn't even begin to start the load game process until the narration is done - it's not like the narration is there to occupy time while the game loads in the background - they are sequential, not concurrent.

You're mistaken, it IS a loading screen and you CAN spacebar through it, assuming your pc finished loading the file before the clip ends, for me it usualy takes 5-10 seconds max

They probally realized who long it takes to reload so they threw that in there to give you something to watch while your waiting.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Wonder why only so few people complain about it, its really really annoying and a strange decision by CDPR.
Mostly because it's not even a real issue. I have the game on a SSD and it typically loads fast enough that I can just skip these minirecap.

You're mistaken, it IS a loading screen and you CAN spacebar through it, assuming your pc finished loading the file before the clip ends, for me it usualy takes 5-10 seconds max

Perhaps you are thinking of another thing, another game, or just mistaken yourself. For the narration screen/dialog that comes up whenever you load a saved game in non-death situation, you can NOT space bar through it, you can NOT skip it via spacebar or any other keyboard action.

Can easily tell how long your system takes to load save game file - go fight something and die - any save load due to character death has story narration screen skipped. You can time this, and for me the pure save file load time is barely 1.5 seconds on my SDD OS + SDD data drive setup.

Compare this to the agonizing 21.5 sec for the typical Act 1 story narration / dialog.

Manually loading same save without death takes 21.5 + 1.5 sec or ~23 seconds. Skipping the narration for the same save file because of character death is 1.5 sec.

Compare those two and think and moment - ~23 seconds vs 1.5 seconds.

Clearly the game has a mechanism to avoid the story narration screen before save loads because it always kicks in when you die, and then need to load a save.

If there is a way to manually skip the story narration screen as you claim, you'll need to be more specific and clarify your incorrect method - no mouse action, none of the 128 standard keyboard commands, works to skip this forced narration.

---------- Updated at 07:43 PM ----------

Mostly because it's not even a real issue. I have the game on a SSD and it typically loads fast enough that I can just skip these minirecap.

How are you skipping it then?

I'm using what is currently on the market as fastest SDD drives in OS + data drive performance raid setup. My load time for typical Act 1 save is barely 1.5 seconds. I can time this by killing my character - which triggers the game's built in mechanism to skip playing narration screen and just directly load your save file.

There is no caching going on because you can load a completely different save in order to go fight something to kill yourself, then load a completely different other save - in a different zone/map than where you just died - and prove by timing that pure save file load that typically it takes on a good SDD setup 1.5 seconds long.

Then time the narration of a typical Act 1 story narration - 21.5 seconds long. Which no mouse action, spacebar or other keyboard action, can skip.

So i repeat - HOW are you claiming to skip the story narration recap on save file load?

Perhaps you are thinking of another thing, another game, or just mistaken yourself. For the narration screen/dialog that comes up whenever you load a saved game in non-death situation, you can NOT space bar through it, you can NOT skip it via spacebar or any other keyboard action.

Can easily tell how long your system takes to load save game file - go fight something and die - any save load due to character death has story narration screen skipped. You can time this, and for me the pure save file load time is barely 1.5 seconds on my SDD OS + SDD data drive setup.

Compare this to the agonizing 21.5 sec for the typical Act 1 story narration / dialog.

Manually loading same save without death takes 21.5 + 1.5 sec or ~23 seconds. Skipping the narration for the same save file because of character death is 1.5 sec.

Compare those two and think and moment - ~23 seconds vs 1.5 seconds.

Clearly the game has a mechanism to avoid the story narration screen before save loads because it always kicks in when you die, and then need to load a save.

If there is a way to manually skip the story narration screen as you claim, you'll need to be more specific and clarify your incorrect method - no mouse action, none of the 128 standard keyboard commands, works to skip this forced narration.

Don't know what to tell you man. Every one of those little story cutscense are skipabble. No matter when, just press the space bar and it skips.

Don't know what to tell you man. Every one of those little story cutscense are skipabble. No matter when, just press the space bar and it skips.

Well, I believe you're sincere, so only way we can both be right given it seems we're both on PC version, is either a) somehow we have different patch versions (which seems unlikely - I'm using 1.05 patched via steam) or b) you have edited some function which allows you to skip these narration screens on save file loads.

It can't be me with a non-standard option because I've installed and other than graphic options, not changed a single default option. So if you're able to skip story narration screen via spacebar, logically I'm thinking somehow you've gained that ability via a game option check - which I don't see under any of the in-game menu lists (gameplay, control settings, etc) - or some out of game edit like an INI file.

Do you recall how, when, or any other info regarding being able to space bar through the story narration?

I've looked through every in-game option screen, even ones that don't make sense like the controller scheme, and in the gameplay.ini and don't see any mode to disable forced story narration. Unless it's a line you insert freehand, which is why I ask as that seems only logical remaining reason why my installation can't spacebar through these screens (as well as OP of this thread and everyone else other than you and one other person who also claims to be able to skip)

So I accept as the premise that it can be skipped - but it is 100% clearly not a default option enabled, and can't seem to find how to enable spacebar skipping the story narrations.

Unless it is something as incredibly dumb as there actually are different versions of the game - e.g. mine is via steam download, maybe yours isn't and therefore has this function. Stretching at this point as that is only way it seems your spacebar works, mine doesn't.

Last edited:
Well, I believe you're sincere, so only way we can both be right given it seems we're both on PC version, is either a) somehow we have different patch versions (which seems unlikely - I'm using 1.05 patched via steam) or b) you have edited some function which allows you to skip these narration screens on save file loads.

It can't be me with a non-standard option because I've installed and other than graphic options, not changed a single default option. So if you're able to skip story narration screen via spacebar, logically I'm thinking somehow you've gained that ability via a game option check - which I don't see under any of the in-game menu lists (gameplay, control settings, etc) - or some out of game edit like an INI file.

Do you recall how, when, or any other info regarding being able to space bar through the story narration?

I've looked through every in-game option screen, even ones that don't make sense like the controller scheme, and in the gameplay.ini and don't see any mode to disable forced story narration. Unless it's a line you insert freehand, which is why I ask as that seems only logical remaining reason why my installation can't spacebar through these screens (as well as OP of this thread and everyone else other than you and one other person who also claims to be able to skip)

So I accept as the premise that it can be skipped - but it is 100% clearly not a default option enabled.

No mods or tweaks or anything. Using patch 1.05 as well, the GOG version, tho I hardly think it makes a difference.
I mean its not just me, you have others here who said they can skip as well.

---------- Updated at 08:28 PM ----------

So I accept as the premise that it can be skipped - but it is 100% clearly not a default option enabled.

No mods or tweaks or anything. Using patch 1.05 as well, the GOG version, tho I hardly think it makes a difference.
I mean its not just me, you have others here who said they can skip as well.

Top Bottom