Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

+
Well...even though game journalists are more than a bit shady these days, if there is a consensus, there is a reason for that. I'm getting my new 970 today and I promise you I will be merciless with this game.

I really hope MERP was not C&D'd for a piece of shit. I really hope this will the the Arkham City of LOTR but at the moment I am not too hopeful.

EDIT: Out of all the review sites, I trust Polygon the most. My GPU can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised that people thought this would be bad, seemed like a standard game, went unnoticed for some reason.
Admittedly i thought it would be crap when I saw the first gameplay ever but the more I saw it, the more I liked what I saw.

Strange, I pre-ordered it because of the story and hope for a finally a good LotR action game. The ratings are surprisingly good.

This is an old video, but it has no commentary, I like the atmosphere.
[video=youtube;5GcqT88U-VU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GcqT88U-VU[/video]

[video=youtube;9-ZXC-08gd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ZXC-08gd8[/video]

I hope it's worth the 22€ I've spent on this game. But I fear it's only good in the first couple of hours and that it will turn into a repetitive borefest pretty soon...

:hmm:

Anybody have a first impression? I should get my copy today, but the courier did not bothered to left me any sign that he was here while I was working. Not even a phone call. If he do his job like today, I don't know when I will be able to get my copy.

Anybody have a first impression? I should get my copy today, but the courier did not bothered to left me any sign that he was here while I was working. Not even a phone call. If he do his job like today, I don't know when I will be able to get my copy.

Ugh, I hate when the delivery people do that. 'Customer was not available for delivery' bullshit, even in the cases when you are there. I've been hemming and hawing whether to pick this up on PC cause I have a feeling I wouldn't get to it for a while. In which case I might as well wait for the inevitable sale.

Well, this happend with a friend of mine. I am annoyed because the fact that I don't know for sure that the delivery man was there, I don't even know which company should wait and so. Not to mention that if he don't call me tomorrow then maybe they sending it back. If he call me today I would have no problems at all, because they would come in the right time tomorrow. But now,...

Shadow of Mordor. 35 GB default and a 10 GB HD texture pack.

Are you fucking shitting me? I've got good internet, 200 MB to be precise, but this is ridiculous. Titanfall was bad enough with 50 GB.

Guess that's the price we pay for next gen.

Better get used to the sizes, this is has kind of become a standard already.
(And I have TERRIBLE internet and that cannot be helped)

So uhh, this is actually pretty good. The graphics are good, combat is great, the new nemesis system is fantastic and the writitng is very Tolkien-ish. What I don't like is the sometimes excessive violence. I don't really associate Middle Earth with gratuitous violence. I've only played 3 hours though. Lots of stuff can change.

I am genuinely surprised.

Better get used to the sizes, this is has kind of become a standard already.
(And I have TERRIBLE internet and that cannot be helped)

Yea, the new Wolfenstein was 50 gigs.

Why are the downloads so big? It can't be the visuals because none of the next gen games so far stand out in that dept.

So uhh, this is actually pretty good. The graphics are good, combat is great, the new nemesis system is fantastic and the writitng is very Tolkien-ish. What I don't like is the sometimes excessive violence. I don't really associate Middle Earth with gratuitous violence. I've only played 3 hours though. Lots of stuff can change.

I am genuinely surprised.
And just a while ago you were wanting it to fail etc etc :p

The game doesn't have any antialiasing by the way, only inbuilt supersampling. Just so people who are very "bothered" by it can know.

I haven't played the game. So far, the biggest thing that's bothering me from the videos I've seen is just how empty the world is. Huge spaces of nothing, and answering "because Mordor" doesn't convince me. I think it would have benefited much more from being divided into many different and separate regions; open themselves, but smaller. Narrowing it down could have helped them create a more focused experience, filled with those small details that bring it to life, even if it's a dead, ash-covered patch of land. As it stands what I've seen is mainly huge chunks of flat space with a few "boxes" in them. I don't feel SoM "earned" the Open World. Why bother, if exploration is dull?

But the combat does look very fun, if a bit repetitive, and the Nemesis system a huge innovation. Critics are also complimenting the writing, the dialogues and the voice acting, which has me smiling. Overall I'm looking forward to playing this.

It's not a focused experience, it's essentially a sandbox game you're looking for the wrong things in the wrong kind of... "genre" so to speak.

Top Bottom