Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
They did respond, but in a way that left more questions than answers.

Blaming the poorly textured character models in the elder blood trailer on video compression gone wrong? Seriously?

And even if they claim that there's no downgrade - I find that hard to believe looking at comparisons like that:

If you are going to make a comparison, at least compare apples to apples.
It's apparent that the issue in the first image is the frost effect, which makes it look bad. In other images the textures on the armors are clearly high res.
At least compare images with armors with no frost on it or if both have frost effects.

If you are going to make a comparison, at least compare apples to apples.
It's apparent that the issue in the first image is the frost effect, which makes it look bad. In other images the textures on the armors are clearly high res.
At least compare images with armors with no frost on it or if both have frost effects.
Its not only about frost textures, there's something missing in terms of lightning, global illumination, ambient occlusion, I don't know what exactly it is as I am not an expert however there is a huge quality difference between vgx trailer and this footage.

Its not only about frost textures, there's something missing in terms of lightning, global illumination, ambient occlusion, I don't know what exactly it is as I am not an expert however there is a huge quality difference between vgx trailer and this footage.

In many games scenes that happen during the day tend to have better lighting and generally look better, more realistic to say.
This comparison shows something that happens at night and something that happens during the day, thus you have the difference in the lighting and the perception of what looks better.
A lot of games also tend to make the nights too bright and there's not enough fully dynamic lighting to really bring the world to life.

Since I don't know what the deal is with the scene at night, the lighting and the whole frost effect, I'd rather wait and see, because other scenes look great, so it's probably still be a work in progress.

For all you saying that we raging without a reason and that we have some kind of "proof" that graphics werent downgraded, because CD Projekt said so, and screens from Famitsu are screens from PS4 version (p-p-promise). I can only say: Seeing is believing. Show me in game footage in motion of the new build and then we can talk. How do you know that those bad looking scenes was from the "old build"? And stop with this "CD Projekt is not EA/Ubishit/anything else. CD Projekt is probably my most liked game devs but I saw too much shit lately in gaming to blindly believe anyone anymore. I saw this uncompresed trailer. It looks much better then this YT version but not nearly as good like VGX version. And to all this people saying graphics are not important. Seriously, I dont give a flying fuck what you think about the graphics. This topic is clearly about the graphisc so why do you even bother with this argument. In terms of graphics I much more value art style then all this technical crap (cough) Lords of the Fallen (cough). In my opinion W3 have great art style but still, if you showing me graphics that looks like something from the future and later you showing me this. What do you expecting me to think? Lighting effects are clearly worse then before. Im not "demanding" anything, but if you want me to believe you, as I said before, show me in game footage of new build and tell me this is on Xbox/PS4/PC ultra. Before that, Im assuming we have Dark Souls 2 case here all over again. I just want to know if I need to buy another 970 for this game to run it on high. That is all.

Last edited:
I wonder if CDPR are victims of their own daylight technology, making this downgrade argument much more dramatic than what's really happening. Depending on the time of the day and the position of the sun, two shots can look very different. I think that the praise of the upgrade in the Famitsu screenshots is a bit similar to the cries of downgrade in others. Much of it, to me, just feels due to the daytime. Now yes, I know, in the Famitsu screenshots there's a visible difference in skin, rocks, Johnny's tattoos and things like that. But the main thing that catches the eye off the bat is the gleam on his and Gran's face, and that's probably just due to a different time of the day, than when Geralt interacted with them during the 35min.

I think it's the same with the swamp footage in the VGX trailer. Now, just like there is a positive difference in the Famitsu screenshots that doesn't have anything to do with the light, such as the skin, there's a negative difference between the VGX swamp section and the 35min regarding the water, for instance. But still, the main thing that catches the eye is the shine on Geralt's metal parts. A shine that wasn't as felt in later gameplay footage because - I believe - different daytime and sun positioning. Meaning that there isn't a "substantial downgrade" between the VGX trailer and the 35min gameplay footage as was stated here occasionally (at least regarding the swamp sections).

I feel it's the same matter with the comparison between the Rider in Elder Blood (the one without the frost, the one on horseback who looks good) and the Rider in Sword of Destiny. In the latter he just has the benefit of a sunset that makes his armor gleam some more and catches the eye much more easily.

This isn't some professional analysis, mind you. As always with graphical matters I don't really have a clue and just write based on my amateur impressions. Also, even if my post is mostly about shrinking the downgrade cry, that's not to say I think it looks exactly the same. Parts of the Elder Blood still don't feel as sharp, mainly with the frost-effect, and the zoom-in didn't help much either for the foliage when Eredin dismounts. I also think that we've yet to see a shot in the 35min gameplay trailer that catches so much life and detail as that brief part in the VGX trailer with Geralt walking through a village with a kid jumping to his side. But I think that these differences are being blown out of proportion because it's sensational, just like the accusations of CDPR lying are much better headlines that would make a cheap tabloid proud, instead of a level-headed discussion and criticism\skepticism.

sooner or later they will have to reveal more screens and videos so lets wait, this topic already served his propose no need for more reply's

Lightning looks weird because many scenes in the trailer feature cloudy weather. Scenes with sun in them are comparable to SoD, I dont think that lightning was downgraded.

And one more thing, just to be totally clear about my opinion about this whole case. I know many of you guys/gurls think that even if graphics were downgraded this is not the reason to not buying the game. And I totally agree with you on this. I personally bought in my live so many bad games at full price that it would be just unafair to CD Projekt not to buy their game because of this. I already pre ordered Witcher 3, and even if I didnt, I would still bought it even with downgraded graphics (if there would be a really good reason for this, not just "because console version would look like shit in comparison"). Im sure that game will be great anyway and I just cant wait for it. Just like with DaS2. Graphics were practically butchered in comparison to previous footage, and game wasn't as good as DaS (in my opinion) but I still enjoyed this game more then anything else this year (what From Soft is doing now with this dx11 version is different topic though). Why I am raging so much is because for me, like many other pc gamers, CD Projekt was like second comming of Christ of gaming developers and Im starting to be worried that Jesus just dont care anymore. I know that they can sell much more on consoles. I want Witcher 3 to be big succes so they will get lot of moniez and all. I wish them well but I dont want them to start treat us pc gamers like almost every other game developer today. I am pc gamer for a reason. I put shitload of hard earned moneys to my hardware for a reason. Consoles are not powerfull enought to run this game and look so great like in VGX trailer? Sad day for them, but it shouldnt be sad day for me. If graphics from VGX footage are too much even for high end pc's so what? I want to have a choice. That is why we have graphics options in pc games. Sometime I think that Microsoft and Sony are forcing them not to tell us and show us everything. If this is the case but they really didnt dawngraded PC version, Im ok with this. But if we will have Watch Dogs situation again, Im out and fuck you (Im not saying that this IS the case, but IF this is the case). And before some of you will tell me that CD Projek dont own pc gamers anything, well, I have a little bit different opinion. As I said, I wish them succes. I want them to earn shitload of moneys and be rich and happy. Peace and love, and please dont let me down CD Projekt.

Downgrade or (allegedly) not. As a couple of others already pointed out: Pics (or in this case footage) or it didn't happen.

And why exactly is it that they don't come forward and say from what version (or versions) of the game the footage was taken?
Why can't they just admit that it was, for instance from an old PC build that still had a few problems with textures and illumination or that it was footage recorded in the XBOne or PS4 versions?
Why must there always be such secrecy about information that when made publicly available would only help to avoid downgrade accusations?

Seriously, why is that?

Not openly come out and say what's what only makes it look more shifty and much less trustworthy.

Why must there always be such secrecy about information that when made publicly available would only help to avoid downgrade accusations?

Seriously, why is that?

Not openly come out and say what's what only makes it look more shifty and much less trustworthy.
This post comes to mind.

the whole downgrade thing has already spread over the whole internet........:facepalm:.........not the best publicity for The Witcher 3 before the release

Alright look.
Can people stop with that picture of the wild hunt mage?
If you stop on one of the frames you can see that around the armpit is completely streched when he lifts his arm, it all blurs into one. That alone is proof enough that it is not how it is ment to be.

Regarding the overall quality we are going to have to wait for them to release a more final build. I'm not going to deny that the quality hasn't gradually gone down over time, However basing it on this trailer is bit silly, as it is not very consitent i.e. in it's most fluid stage of development.

Last edited:
http://a.pomf.se/jeyuui.webm

Honestly, i was expecting this since they announced they are doing open world game on the scale of skyrim. There is no way openworld multiplat game on release can look as good as witcher 2. After many years and tons of mods applied maybe but still... Say good bye to volumetric smoke, realistic fire. I am wondering if fur technology actually make it into final game.

That said though i am still looking forward to the game, even if they present witcher 1 tier graphics i would buy it because i am more interested in story than the graphics.

Yes. That webm is what pretty much everything now is expecting, including myself. It will be a huge letdown if it doesn't prove to be true and many people will be disappointed.

Yes. That webm is what pretty much everything now is expecting, including myself. It will be a huge letdown if it doesn't prove to be true and many people will be disappointed.

i'm already disappointed. and not only by the game, but other things that happen here......

---------- Updated at 11:48 AM ----------

I wonder, would this thread exist if watch dogs accident didnt happen :hmm:

i would say no, that's why i said this is the Watchdogs effect. But now the "downgrade" is a real thing in gaming and an issue for gamers and developers. And ubisoft never promised anything and never said "we are honest and always saying the truth , we are gamers like you",, that makes this case worst if after the game expectations results not fulfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom