Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you that the horse looked kinda fake, though.

I haven't really thought about how horses' look but they seem to be controlled fluidly and that's 100x better than the generic horses in Skyrim/DAI. There was this game "GUN" which came out over 10 years ago and horses in that game were 10x better than horses in Skyrim/DAI.

Game looks awesome I couldn't care less about minor downgrades if they really exists which I can't see.

I haven't really thought about how horses' look but they seem to be controlled fluidly and that's 100x better than the generic horses in Skyrim/DAI. There was this game "GUN" which came out over 10 years ago and horses in that game were 10x better than horses in Skyrim/DAI.

No, no. I meant in that latest video when the horse gets carried into the sky. Looks less than great. Limbs and shape go very play-doh.

I've just seen the trailers. You ask that same question when people say the game is going to be awesome?

When you are claiming something as a fact, you need to back it up with proof. And you dont have one, show me direct comparison of the same scenes and then we cant talk downgrade..

When you are claiming something as a fact, you need to back it up with proof. And you dont have one, show me direct comparison of the same scenes and then we cant talk downgrade..

I said it looks worse. Of course that should be treated as just an opinion if I'm not even trying to give any solid proof. I didn't explicitly say "I think" or "in my opinion" because I thought that was obvious.

Two things come to mind when viewing the latest teaser .
1. Optimization is still ongoing which we already knew and the reason for the delay
2. We have no idea on what platform these tidbits were taken from since the journalists have been playing on all 3 .

Many parts of the new video look terrible, like the ground geometry, the lack of shadows for the plants and other many elements (everything looks FLAT, the lightning is terrible. In other videos we can also see a huge lack of shadows and ambient occlusion), the terrible carpet and chair, the blood from the horse at the end (I think that's a new low point) and the ground textures, which just couldn't be worse. tThere is thing called detail and bump mapping. I expect something better than a Crysis 2 mod, Serious Sam 3 or the Talos Principle:

http://i.imgur.com/CgfPq8d.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/29tHvYQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pxgNIPL.jpg

Those are good textures. The textures in the video are pure garbage, they are so flat it hurts.

The fact that the video isn't 60fps makes me think it's form a console version. I want to think it's from a console version, but even then, the fact that they focus on those versions is quite revealing, and they haven't even said anything.

It's time to stop pretending, to stop playing the "IT'S NOT FINISHED, WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING" card that I see used CONSTANTLY for EVERY SINGLE GAME THAT HAS BEEN A FAILURE. The game is finished, optimization isn't related to assets quality. No more fanboy excuses please, stop killing the game. This is an official video made to show the best the game has to offe, no some random footage from an unfinished part (a part that doesn't exist by the way, since the game is finished)

Last edited:
blahblahblahblah

I rewatched the 40~ seconds of gameplay in that new preview trailer for the twitch stream.

And I have no idea what you are talking about. The textures look fine, there are definitely shadows for plants and trees. I enjoy your pessimism though, it truly bolsters the hype infesting my soul.

The textures in the video are pure garbage, they are so flat it hurts.

They're... not? You understand, of course, that you're comparing ground looked at from up close and a first person perspective, to ground looked at from afar, at an angle and a third person perspective, yes? Take a look at the ground at the far edges of the Crysis 2 screenshot. Yeah.

Also, "I think this looks worse than game X" =/= downgrade.

"This scene from this trailer, when compared to the exact same scene from the most recent footage, looks better (not different)" = downgrade.

Last edited:
No one analyzed the quality of textures on Roche's butt btw...
Its really worrying...How am I supposed to sleep at night without this knowledge?

Massive disappointment.why did Geralt slap his ass ?

If the console versions look like in the trailer then im impressed. But for pc you should get the option to make them really sharp.

The textures look fine
No
http://i.imgur.com/8h77NKy.png
there are definitely shadows for plants
No
http://i.imgur.com/Ci2O4te.png
it truly bolsters the hype infesting my soul.
Again, the parallelism with those failed games is incredible.

They're... not? You understand, of course, that you're comparing ground looked at from up close and a first person perspective, to ground looked at from afar, at an angle and a third person perspective, yes? Take a look at the ground at the far edges of the Crysis 2 screenshot. Yeah.

If you don't know what texture resolution and bump mapping are don't talk about textures. The resolution in the crysis 2 texture is amazing, and there is real depth thanks to bump mapping. Compare it to the texture in the former link http://i.imgur.com/8h77NKy.png. Change the angle as much as you want and it will look just as good in both cases.

No one analyzed the quality of textures on Roche's butt btw...
Its really worrying...How am I supposed to sleep at night without this knowledge?

Massive disappointment.why did Geralt slap his ass ?
These "jokes" used as denial were also common in the failed games. Jokes, passive aggrevise comments, vague excuses and shamelessly admiting blinding hype seem to be in the manual of the good fanboy.

Last edited:
If you don't know what texture resolution and bump mapping are don't talk about textures. The resolution in the crysis 2 texture is amazing, and there is real depth thanks to bump mapping. Compare it to the texture in the former link http://i.imgur.com/8h77NKy.png

Okay, show me a screenshot of Geralt looking directly at a paved surface in a first person perspective, then compare it to that Crysis 2 screenshot, then we can talk.

And again, comparing graphics of other titles is off-topic here. If you wish, you're free to make a topic on the subject of ground textures across multiple games in the Let's talk about video games section of the Community subforum.

Last edited:
You can easily see the quality of the textures in those pictures. It changes nothing. The detail won't be better, and bump mapping wont magically appear but I guess I will have to kill your denial even more: in the first picture I showed: http://i.imgur.com/Ci2O4te.png the angle is the same. In the further parts of the crysis2 screenshot (and the others too), the angle is really extreme and the texture still looks great. In fact, it looks even better, because you can appreciate the depth and bump mapping. The textures in the video have painted rocks, but without bump mapping they look terrible.

Comparing graphics to other titles is not off topic, since it is useful to get the final level of detail, opposed to the expected level of detail. A downgrade is far more likely when there are indicators of low graphical quality. Rules seem to be reaaaaally strict when comments are critical and not to exist when they are trivial fanboyism. This is something that happened constantly in the SW:tOR forums.

Anyway, there is nothing else I have to say. If this is the PC version, we have been lied about the detail we would get. I expected, in all aspects, quality typical of a 2015 game, not a 2007 one. And no matter how many times someone tries to hide this, the pictures are there, and they don't lie. No amount of marketing, or poetic videos with epic phrases will change that.

Last edited:
@Mozalbete Okay, still no direct comparison, so I don't see how anything is worse. Still off-topic, too.

Anyway, to get back on the topic, I don't see any noticable drop in the visual fidelity of the new footage, when compared to the previously released trailers/gameplay videos. What's also important to note is that the devs have made claims that not all effects on the PC version were enabled for this demonstration, so the final game should look even more impressive. Personally, I am not convinced by any downgrade claims so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom