Open world in TW3-Success or not?

+
Open world in TW3-Success or not?

What do you think? I know some were sceptical before the release (since TW1 + TW2 worked fine without a open world)
In my opinion its great, there are so many well done side quests in TW3 (currently in Novigrad) that the open world doesn't feel wasted

However I have to admit the main story does feel a bit underwhelming so far (compared to TW2) at least, its a bit too calm for my taste
I also miss the complex politics of TW2

This is the most immersive and entertaining open-world I've ever played.

The politics of TW2 bothered me (even though that was a really great game), and TW3 focusing on good and evil and the search for Ciri is perfect.

I'm level 7 after 20 hours of gameplay because I just keep roaming here and there.

thats too early to be making comparisons imo wait until you are a good 30 hrs in at ;least then see if you still feel this way.

Actually, I haven't played a lot of open world games before (some GTAs and ACs), but I immensely enjoy this one. Seriously, I feel like I couldn't go back to TW2 anymore (I wanted to play it through one last time). CDPR has absolutely nailed it, never have I felt in my 20 hours with the game that the narrative suffers because of the open world. All the different elements of the game just fit together so nicely.

About the main story:
I haven't done a lot of it, I did most of the Bloody Baron questline (which is brilliant so far), and I met Triss for the first time in the game. So far, it's not underwhelming at all for me.

I don't mean this in a positive nor negative way. The open world in TW3 is basically like DA:I, but reduced the number of maps and made them much bigger. It's great, but doesn't give you the freedom like TES games where you feel like you're in another world. But this system works for the Witcher style narrative and story telling. It's just not the new Skyrim that I thought it would be. But that would be my fault because I didn't do extensive research before the game released because I didn't want any spoilers and wanted to experience a new game without any knowledge.

TL;DR - the game is more comparable to DA:I than TES series.

I don't mean this in a positive nor negative way. The open world in TW3 is basically like DA:I, but reduced the number of maps and made them much bigger. It's great, but doesn't give you the freedom like TES games where you feel like you're in another world. But this system works for the Witcher style narrative and story telling. It's just not the new Skyrim that I thought it would be. But that would be my fault because I didn't do extensive research before the game released because I didn't want any spoilers and wanted to experience a new game without any knowledge.

I never liked Skyrim so I'm glad TW3 is nothing like it otherwise it would probably suck too (zero story with bland characters etc.)

There's only so much freedom you can give considering you're playing a set characters journey with it's own set of rules in it's world and it's lore. Skyrim is a create your own char game in a world that can change the rules as they please.

For 1 example spells from 1 game to the next being different.

And how can't you feel like your in another world when encountering Botchlings and Godlings? lol

It's just not the new Skyrim that I thought it would be.

The better, since Skyrim is a really bad RPG.

The fact that there are different areas doesn't mean that the game is not open world. Open world doesn't mean "just one area in one map", but it means the nature of freedom while you move in the world.

The witcher 3 is the perfect mix of The Elder scroll's open world freedom and Bioware style story telling. Bioware's DA:I came up a little short on the open world elements and well TES games just don't have great main campaign stories, they always seem a bit flat. (But this is a subjective things) I loved both Inquisition and Skyrim enjoyed them for different reasons, but i finally feel like i have the perfect blend of open world exploration and content with epic story.

I really hope the CDPR creates a open world fantasy game where you can create your own character next. Even if it is somewhat limiting in the character options like DA2 so as to give us a stronger story. Because I'd love to create my own character in CDPR's next fantasy game. I'd lover to see what they could do with magic and stealth based systems.

Last edited:
I feel like a a true Witcher going around in the wild, facing horrors and making coins, the immersion in this game is crazy, you just loose yourself in this beautiful world(or maybe dark). I have to say CDProjekt Red did something truly amazing here, they simply nailed it!

I was one of the few people that were very concerned about shift away from TW2 and into the open world that everyone seems to be in love with. After playing for about 30 hours I must say that so far it's exceed my expectations. The game is terrific but I think my main enjoyment of it is the same as TW2 - story, quest design, weapon/armor upgrades etc. Having a big world where I can go anywhere has never been my thing but so far they've managed to keep the story moving along quite well. Will need to finish the game before I know how I feel overall about the open world.

TW3 is probably the first game to combine an open world like Skyrim with great characters, storys and presentation as Bioware games have them.

And as someone already said: In TW3 you feel like a real Witcher for the first time, going from village to village taking on complex contracts.

TW1 and 2 weren't bad games ( I just played them again over the last weeks to prepare for TW3), but they can't hold a candle to TW3 at least as far as I can see after...well too much playtime considering it is only out for a few day. :D

this game is everything DA:I should have been. The designs of that game felt lazy and by the numbers, nice but unremarkable and yet this game keeps stopping in me in my tracks constantly.

I dont mind that the game isnt one open world, it means a greater diversity of areas can be seen. but one related thing I do hate is the fact the maps dont 'end' or such. you just keep getting a world's end message. I would have preferred uncrossable mountains or some such thing. Yes in some games they are pretty bad but I find the way they are handled here worse.

DOnt get me wrong it doesnt make me hate the game or anything liek that, just find it jarring.

@byghostlight could not agree more, this game is more DA:I than DA:I, if that makes any sense. It captures the atmosphere of a war torn nation perfectly, whereas DA:I barely skimmed it.

I'd say the open world experiment is definitely a success, and I'm very excited about CDPR's cyberpunk project. I think this is the first time I've seen a company really take on Bioware and they already have two very successful, very popular and established IP's. I can't wait to see what mods can do.

Top Bottom