So after E3... is The Witcher 3 really a PC game ?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So where is this blind faith that the PC version will have its own UI all coming from, did I miss something?

I don't see them creating radically different UI just for the PC, I also don't see the need in creating such a thing.
What was shows looks nice, it can be tweaked of course, but there was nothing wrong with it. The radial menu is also very functional.
If they can add shortcuts for everything, like switching signs and whatnot, that can be mapped, then it's all good.

Well, perhaps faith would be bigger if TW2 had not only offered a UI made with a controller in mind... ;)
That's different though. TW2 was a PC game ported to Xbox 360. This is being developed for all 3 platforms simultaneously.

Having said though, I for one have no problem with a console-ized interface, because I'll be playing W3 using a controller.

Believe Heathens!

CDPR hates stupid gaemz.

I don't see them creating radically different UI just for the PC, I also don't see the need in creating such a thing.
What was shows looks nice, it can be tweaked of course, but there was nothing wrong with it. The radial menu is also very functional.
If they can add shortcuts for everything, like switching signs and whatnot, that can be mapped, then it's all good.

No, they don't need to create an entire new UI. Just look at the UI shown in the E3 demos. Add a cursor to it, shortcuts and some tweaks, it would look and act like a pretty decent PC centric UI.

Last edited:
No, they don't need to create an entire new UI. Just look at the UI shown in the E3 demos. Add a cursor to it, shortcuts and some tweaks, it would look and act like a pretty decent PC centric UI.

That's my point as well. :)
The UI looks nice, there might be needed some tweaks, but that's all.

Besides, creating UIs is no easy task. I played some DS2, and the UI there is horrible. I admit I'm not a DS fan, but still, it shouldn't be this bad.

I think CDPR did the best they could considering the financial situation they were in during the development of TW2. So let's cut them some slack.
Well, it's not up to me but up to them to end the discussion. If they want to stop us speculating they could just make a clear statement about PC controls and UI... ;)

And I know that CDPR was in a tight financial situation during the development of TW2. But who said that they have a limitless budget right now? Nobody here (of us normal users) can say for sure what will happen in the 8 months until release...
@highKing
Tbh, tha makes it even worse for someone like me who would never play such a game with a controller. ;)

Unless CDPR has directly contradicted anything in that article since then, I'd expect so.

We weren't shown the PC interface during E3.

To be honest, I'd say that no, I don't think it can be guaranteed still to be true. It was an old article, and quoted twice-removed from the source, but as you say, we've neither seen nor heard anything to contradict it.

I want the UI to be optimised for console, for controllers on PC, and for K&M on PC. I'm hoping that they've come up with a UI design that allows that to be achieved with minimal tweaking. The UI should be basically the same, but with those little tweaks that make all the difference.

I want the UI to be optimised for console, for controllers on PC, and for K&M on PC. I'm hoping that they've come up with a UI design that allows that to be achieved with minimal tweaking. The UI should be basically the same, but with those little tweaks that make all the difference.
You mean like Skyrim/Oblivion? Ah, well, hm.....

:hmm:

:halt:

You mean like Skyrim/Oblivion? Ah, well, hm.....
Fair question, as I didn't also say that I wanted it to be a good UI. Add that to my list of requirements.
So no, not like Skyrim
(I can't actually remember what the UI was like in Oblivion)

About the "32 swords inventory" concern:

View attachment 4113

They said, and this screenshot confirms, that besides the tile-based inventory we get a weight system on top of that. So, naked Geralt can carry max 20 swords and nothing else.
20 swords are 18 too much.

But yeah, I'm already silent, they want to cater to the Skyrim fans so we will be able to carry around 50kg of swag in our invisible bag because it will make the game so much more compelling and there must be compromises or whatever. I guess we will also be able to sell all 18 swords we carried around during one treasure hunt to the local vendor and making a fortune out of it. Why monster hunting if you could just kill bandits are sell their swords? :p

Well, for the UI, let's take a recent example: Diablo 3.

First: PC UI

Features:
  • small icons
  • typcial X icon in the corner for exit
  • pattern/icon based inventory
  • sliders/scrolldown menus
  • PC hotkeys integration
  • seperated "single" UIs (just inventory here)

Sceond: console UI

Features:
  • big icons
  • hotkey exit
  • list inventory
  • ring menu
  • unified UI (inventory+quests+journal+...)

As you can see Blizzard really put a lot of thought in both UIs, trying to cater to each primary control input as good as possible. A traditional experience with the mouse on PC is just different than the one with a controller on console and Blizzard accepted that and integrated two completely distinctive UIs in Diablo 3 based on the platform/primary input.

I don't think that Witcher 3 should offer the same to the same extend but I think it's worth to mention that mouse and gamepad experiences are different and that a unified "most common denominator" solution offen ends in the PC controls being clunky. The reason is quite simply: your options with a controller are much more limited than with keyboard and mouse in terms of UI. You can make every gamepad-based UI working with a mouse and keyboard but not the opposite. That's what happened to a great extend in TW2 and it's the same with the latest TES games. They are basically console menus, slightly adapted to also be able to control them with mouse and keyboard. The Diablo 3 example shows quite well that this isn't the only option and also not necessarily the best option (but of course perhaps the cheapest version...)

If CDPR really values PC gaming in general and their PC customers in particular that highly as they told us they should reconsider this topic imo and present us a proper PC solution in the upcoming months... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom