[SOLVED with a MOD] Walking in OTS

+
I don't know why people think running everywhere is unrealistic. I haven't walked in years. It's great! I get everywhere faster. The only downside is that I'm not allowed to go near pools or transport scissors.

I am so used to a walk toggle mode or whatever it is you call it since i am a WoW Veteran player, but the idea of running constantly in a way is a good thing but then again once i get into the game... i end up beating it in like 2 - 3 days... i dont want that to happen in this game so having a walk mode would be really really nice, just press down on a key and WHAM! you are walking in OTS camera mode, its that simpleI would use it for you know, when i want to walk around and look at the enviroment around me, sadly i cant do that yet for the game doesint exacly work properly on my system... but thats nother story :wall:As for the RolePlay comment, On the games case and on the website does it not say A Role Playing Game? Yes there are people out there who do Role-Play in non Multi-Player games.

About that Enhanced Edition... Please tell me it wont be $59.99CAN :dead:But yes i Agree with with the dude Above me, having Walk mode in OTS in this so called (Enchanced Edition) would be very cool.Thats only if you cant add it in a patch or whatever the case may be :beer:

tobster1977 said:
I agree running everywhere is great its annoying having a toggle button i always forget to put it back on again, so running all the time is brilliant :)
QFT, better to always run, why would you want to walk? it takes long enough to get from place to place. it would be excruciatingly painful if you had to walk everywhere :wall:
tobster1977 said:
When I run, I always have the feeling I might miss a detail somewhere, and that's why I choose to walk.
you can hold down alt as you move, it will pop up a name/description of anything you are looking at so you won't miss anything :)
tobster1977 said:
It's just surprising that here in an RPG, a more 'sedate' and thoughtful experience than an action FPS, we don't have more movement speeds. For me its not 'role-playing so much as it's a desire to better control the rhythm of navigation.
well maybe you should try searching for a walking mod. many games added small features that users wanted. remember the flashlight mod for Doom 3. i am sure that if you just spend a bit of time looking you can find it :)

I agree, the walking feature is just something that is missing.Having to run all the time (or do the visual-thingy adjustment) is ... silly.Not something good for the immersion, cause yeah guys, it's natural that when someone plays a ROLEPLAY GAME wants to - guess what? -ROLEPLAY.Mocking those who feel this "need" only shows the mental age of people who should probably stick to the oh-so-frenetic-yuppy-boomboom games(kablaam!). :mad:Walking allows you to fully enjoy the graphical beauty of the game...big part of the graphical wonders this way are lost.And of course running 100% of time it's a totally unrealistic way of moving.Run-stop-run-stop-run-stop.Psycho.Before fanboys eat me, I think the game is wonderful and I enjoy it the same.We're still allowed to express personal (very valid in my opinion) points without being laughed at.After all I think that it wasn't a choice from the developers, but simply something that was forgotten (and I guess it'll be included in the next patch),which can happen.Respect :beer:p.s:
I don't know why people think running everywhere is unrealistic. I haven't walked in years. It's great! I get everywhere faster. The only downside is that I'm not allowed to go near pools or transport scissors.
Loved this ;D ;D

Massacher said:
you can hold down alt as you move, it will pop up a name/description of anything you are looking at so you won't miss anything :)
Great! And is there a key I could hold down to automatically win every battle too? Oh and I have an even better idea : I want a key I could hold down and just let the computer control my character and handle every dialogs!Sorry for the sarcasm, but you really deserved it.

AurelianoBuendia said:
After all I think that it wasn't a choice from the developers, but simply something that was forgotten (and I guess it'll be included in the next patch),which can happen.
As ridiculous as it seems to say a whole team of developers 'forgot' to put walk in OTS, it sure looks that way, since walking is implemented very nicely in both of the 'isometric' views.

exactly. plus i dont like to run over triss and push her around while her ass is swaying so beautifully
I thought I was the only one to enjoy that a little too much. :)
you can hold down alt as you move, it will pop up a name/description of anything you are looking at so you won't miss anything
To my shame I must admit that I couldn't refrain from using this silly feature even after remapping it to an inconvenient key to prevent impulsive use. Pandora's box was open as soon as the popup informed me of the function's existence.

you can hold down alt as you move, it will pop up a name/description of anything you are looking at so you won't miss anything
To my shame I must admit that I couldn't refrain from using this silly feature even after remapping it to an inconvenient key to prevent impulsive use. Pandora's box was open as soon as the popup informed me of the function's existence.
You're crazy! There's no shame in using alt-highlight, since the game doesn't play fair : the way it quickly turns corpses into ambiguously bordered piles of gristle, that are likely stacked on top of each other or camouflaging themselves under grasses. Even with alt at my command trying to find a particular corpse's loot - like that of a salamandra boss - amongst his fallen cronies is an absolute exercise in frustration.

JeffersonJones said:
You're crazy! There's no shame in using alt-highlight
Using this because of a design flaw is one thing, using this so you can quickly notice everything without having to search and look closely is simply cheating.BTW, a game like The Witcher is not an opponent. Playing fair doesn't make sense for that kind of game.

Papy said:
Papy said:
Using this because of a design flaw is one thing, using this so you can quickly notice everything without having to search and look closely is simply cheating.
I don't understand your view point. Do you also never save or load a game, play the whole thing through in one session and so on? It's not reality, and as such there are always things done to increase your fun and compensate for the fact you are not actually in the world.If you were really there then you'd have much better vision and would be able to tell what x plant is from a distance. But instead, because we're looking at a small, relatively low resolution 2d display we can't get all our usual sensory inputs so the game helps compensate for that by allowing you to display labels for things that Geralt knows about. It doesn't show you the label for anything that he doesn't know, so isn't cheating in any way.

kalniel said:
there are always things done to increase your fun and compensate for the fact you are not actually in the world.
This is a video game, not a reality simulator. You don't have to compensate for anything. Anyway, I guess that's the point, this kind of feature doesn't increase my fun. Of course you can find any excuse you like to justify using it. You can call it however you like, but in the end it is still about about finding ways to make the game easier for you, exactly like cheating. You don't want to search, you want the things handed to you right now. This is not something I want. I want to play a game, I don't simply want to see what's next in an interactive story. The fact is you can't lose with a game like The Witcher. The only thing that can happen to you is wasting time. In effect, wasting time is what replace losing. If you don't want to waste time either, than what is the gameplay about?BTW, if a game is not too buggy, I rarely save (and certainly never before a dangerous situation). Knowing that I'd have to repeat an hour of play if I die, makes dangerous situation a lot more exciting. Winning and losing is what playing is about.

Papy said:
Papy said:
Using this because of a design flaw is one thing, using this so you can quickly notice everything without having to search and look closely is simply cheating.BTW, a game like The Witcher is not an opponent. Playing fair doesn't make sense for that kind of game.
Well, I think the game *is* an opponent, like most games it presents challenges and obstacles for the player to overcome, if he wants to continue progressing to the program's ultimate end.alt-highlight is a bit of a design flaw in of itself, I do wish the game wouldn't remove corpses so quickly so its use wouldn't be beneficial. As it is, - It should NOT highlight enemy tags the way it does, through walls no less, which is totally lame and tantamount to cheating. It should stick to loot piles and maybe open-able containers if anything. But, - we're hijacking the topic at hand.

Papy said:
Anyway, I guess that's the point, this kind of feature doesn't increase my fun. Of course you can find any excuse you like to justify using it. You can call it however you like, but in the end it is still about about finding ways to make the game easier for you, exactly like cheating. You don't want to search, you want the things handed to you right now.
Not at all - I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. It's about having the game world better communicated to you. It doesn't make it any easier to have labels appear over things that Geralt would recognise. No more than having subtitles through the video sections does either.
This is not something I want. I want to play a game, I don't simply want to see what's next in an interactive story. The fact is you can't lose with a game like The Witcher. The only thing that can happen to you is wasting time. In effect, wasting time is what replace losing. If you don't want to waste time either, than what is the gameplay about?BTW, if a game is not too buggy, I rarely save (and certainly never before a dangerous situation). Knowing that I'd have to repeat an hour of play if I die, makes dangerous situation a lot more exciting. Winning and losing is what playing is about.
You have a very strange idea about video games (IMHO)!

JeffersonJones link : A teacher will present challenges and obstacles to children, but it doesn't mean the teacher is an opponent to those children. Quite the opposite in fact.kalniel : I guess I just show my age... I come from a time when video games were actually games and not mere TV shows.Anyway I'm not against the game having an option to let the player immediately find everything without any effort, if that's what the player wants. I won't use it myself because I would find playing with that feature to be completely pointless, but I'm all for letting the player play the way he wants. The point was just that the Alt feature, or any other kind of cheating, is not an answer to not being able to walk.

Hi all, is it just me or does Geralt's running speed seem to change for no reasons sometimes? One minute he'll be running super fast, then I'll load a new area or something and he'll run a more normal realistic speed. Anyone else experience this? Tried searching forums didnt find anything. im running athlon x2 6000+ , 8800gtx, and 2gig ram. Thanks.

sbetchel said:
Hi all, is it just me or does Geralt's running speed seem to change for no reasons sometimes? One minute he'll be running super fast, then I'll load a new area or something and he'll run a more normal realistic speed. Anyone else experience this? Tried searching forums didnt find anything. im running athlon x2 6000+ , 8800gtx, and 2gig ram. Thanks.
If you have a sword out different styles can change the speed of your running. From slowest to fastest it goes: strong, fast, group

Hi, thanks for the response. Unfortunately I'm not talking about stances. I'm saying that his run speed changes randomly in just the normal running mode with weapons sheathed. Thanks though.

Top Bottom