[SOLVED with a MOD] Walking in OTS

+
walrusbomb said:
ah but Serding, we can learn to play with locked button presets. likewise, we can learn to "not jump" during combat.
Very nice and impressive so I'm sure you can learn play without walk, it should be much more easy! ;D

HoKyung said:
All the NWN engine-games I've ever seen, the player character runs.
That's patently wrong. You can easily walk in NWN2, and I do so while playing in "Driving Mode" almost exclusively. My character only runs when in combat and when traversing large stretches of open land.
If you think about it, it would seem a bit unrealistic. But then if you think some more, in the Witcher you're playing a guy who drinks poisonous substances to enhance his body's already superhuman capabilities.
It would actually be a nice touch if Geralt couldn't walk when under the influence of certain potions. I like the idea!
Don't you think in that perspective, taking issue with him being able to trot everywhere at a leisurely pace when even (for all intents and purposes) normal people in the real world are capable of training their bodies to the point where they can run at over 20km/h average for ~2 hours or about 15km/h for over 6 hours seems a bit petty?
What you've pointed out has nothing to do with this game, and it's not petty at all to ask for a movement mode that is already implemented not only within the game but within another camera mode to simply be made available to all modes. It makes perfect sense, while CDP not responding to this subject for so long does not.
I seriously do not get the grounds for this complaint. Did you complain about the sound of the Tie fighters as they flew by in the Star Wars films? Do you have a gripe about lasers being used as small firearms in every sci-fi movie/tv series despite some epic real-world size issues like this: "The ammunition in Yamamoto's new solid-state laser is a set of four-inch square transparent slabs tinged with the slightest hint of purple. They're exactly what you'd expect to find powering the cannons on board the Enterprise or the Millennium Falcon.
All I can say is, [size=10pt]"Huh?"[/size]
Do you categorically refuse to watch films in which cars explode simply because they're not sitting on (all) four wheels after a crash? Did you disgustedly walk out the cinema when the crowd in the arena in The Gladiator once again confirmed the thumbs up/down signals misconception despite the truth being actually quite well known?
No because these things are not interactive and do not ask or invite us to play a role in them. They are "read only". The Witcher is a role-playing game, and it's nice when you're able to immerse yourself more into that role. Being able to walk, as silly as it sounds to you, is a somewhat important aspect of doing that.
I'm not saying there aren't things even in the Witcher that take away from the immersion from time to time. I just think that making a big thing out of this running makes you miss out on a lot of really quite good games (not just the Witcher).
How about improving the experience by adding something that, to most who have speculated on it agree, shouldn't be a big deal for the devs to implement in a patch?

Serdinq said:
[Very nice and impressive so I'm sure you can learn play without walk, it should be much more easy! ;D
And that was helpful....how? People have clearly explained their reasons why walking should be an important addition to the game, and you have yet to give your reasons why it shouldn't.Way to selectively respond to his comment, by the way. You conveniently left out his following line which refutes your previous comment.Obviously not being able to walk in this game means absolutely zero to you. So why are you posting nonsensical, pointless comments in this thread that have nothing to do with the topic?

If you have read the thread you would have quote that I also quote some reasons why not having walk in The Witcher isn't cool. But people put an exaggerate importance to that point, it's ridiculous.You'll answer me that's how you'll fell it but I'd answer that it's quite suspect that this point didn't get such an importance during almost one year and suddenly it seems to be a major weakness.This topic is yet another typical sample of crowd effects. That point isn't good, someone else confirm, you feel encourage in your feeling, people agree with you "so that proves" how right you are and how important is the point and it's a cascade and people lost sense of reality.

Serdinq said:
If you have read the thread you would have quote that I also quote some reasons why not having walk in The Witcher isn't cool. But people put an exaggerate importance to that point, it's ridiculous.
That's your opinion why walking isn't "cool". If it isn't "cool" for you doesn't mean that it isn't "cool" for everybody. Some might find it "cool" to walk instead of running all the time. Just for the sake of realism. That's why IMHO the devs should have also included walking in OTS mode so everyone can decide for themselves what is "cool" or not. Which btw is included in almost every RPG or FPS games I've played so far. It's just standard. And they should include it in their next patch if there is going to be another, for peace sakes. If they would have done it from the start we wouldn't have this stupid chit chat in the first place!

Serdinq said:
...it's quite suspect that this point didn't get such an importance during almost one year and suddenly it seems to be a major weakness.
Are you forgetting that EE was just released? Many people are just discovering this game. This point has been made over and over. There are many of us who, after purchasing the original version, decided to wait on EE before progressing in the game, as well. Also, one could argue that CDP has had a year to implement walking in OTS yet has not.Take your pick.
...people lost sense of reality.
You're welcome to simply not read or respond to this topic if you don't like it.

MrTroll said:
Yes running is the only option!From this Day on this thread is mine! Only mine!!!!! So run away you little slimy, scurvy, sluggish forum members whazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaGet out of here all of you!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:WahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHJHJHJHHhjhjhjHJJHJHJJH67676877787877776Im starting to count:10987654321Booooooooom - hehehehehehehe :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:
Oh. My. God. Mr. Troll can count to ten. . How many years did it take you to learn? Mr. Troll, I am so very proud for you, that you can, at age 14, actually count to ten. You must feel very proud of your accomplishment. I'm sure your mommy is also very happy for you. Can we all in here, please, take a moment and congratulate Mr. Troll, for finally learning to count to ten? .OK. Now that we have that out of the way. Dear Mr. Troll. My dear, sweet widdle troll-kums. Don't you remember what I said in the other threads? About, please unplug your computer, and get out of these forums, before something tragic happens to you? And yet sadly, I see you haven't listened. In fact, you have instead tried, silly troll, to claim this thread as your very own personal thread. Which, so sorry, is just, well, let's just say it is unacceptable. And so sorry, but I was just getting ready to start a beastiary for my fansite, and planning to start it with the normal critters encountered by any average Witcher looking to earn a few orens or socialize in a bar in Temeria. Now, I am sorry to say, you have forced my hand. I am instead going to have to start the Beastiary with the unfortunate critters encountered by the average Witcher Fan looking to earn a few orens or socialize on the forums in here. . Regards.Starwolf TrollStalker

DeviLDoN said:
If they would have done it from the start we wouldn't have this stupid chit chat in the first place!
So I see that finally we agree, this walk thing is a totally stupid subject.
DeviLDoN said:
This point has been made over and over. There are many of us who, after purchasing the original version, decided to wait on EE before progressing in the game, as well. Also, one could argue that CDP has had a year to implement walking in OTS yet has not.Take your pick.
Easily none applied, check old change request threads and you'll see none of very few whine for walking. Additionally please don't fake you are playing the game since age.
DeviLDoN said:
You're welcome to simply not read or respond to this topic if you don't like it.
Lol and do you give me the right to read the topic and not agree? ;D

Sorry if I missed something here. But I recently purchased the new EE version and by holding down the left SHIFT key Geralt walks just fine. I don't think you can toggle it, but yes you can walk.Cheers

Serdinq said:
Additionally please don't fake you are playing the game since age.
Huh? Are you suggesting that I'm a kid or something? Even if I were (I'm 40), what would that have to do with anything?

Crispy81 said:
Crispy81 said:
Additionally please don't fake you are playing the game since age.
Huh? Are you suggesting that I'm a kid or something? Even if I were (I'm 40), what would that have to do with anything?
You are over reacting, cough cough like kids! ;) No it wasn't my meaning, just that your sentence let think you or people whining very loud about the walk thing are people playing the game since a long time. It's clearly not the case.That said, one more time, I agree that it would be better to have walk toggle in the game but not that few people few people insist ridiculously about it and make it the major weakness of the game. Well if that's the major weakness then it's the best game of all time and from far.

I know it's been said before, since there is a walk button... shift... I duno what all the fuss is about. The few times I do wanna take a pretty stroll, I shift click on a far away location then tap F3 (for OTS mode). And POW, I walking down the street struttin like a man whore. I GUESS a walk toggle for OTS would be nice but c'mon. How often would you actually use it? The shift F3 technique is all you really need for those occasional moments you wanna walk.

Agree with you here Captbigbeard. It really isn't the end of the world ;D And the F2 - F3 method is (was, since I'm not able to play at the moment due to some other serious issue) also working for me.

Mobidoy said:
Mobidoy said:
Mobidoy said:
Walking mode would be a nice addition, but other than the fact that it would increase the realism of the game I don't see any real practical reason for it to be in the game (IMO)
Well, it would make controlling Geralt's movements a bit easier, especially in cramped places. Plus, I'd love to have him walk sometimes so I can better admire the beautiful scenery :)
Scenery ?Is it another term for Geralt Butt ?
I would consider Geralt's Butt to be scenery. :)@Mobidoy: Dude! How you been? Long time no see, and btw, did you notice the flamingos in Deception? :beer:

so to walk in OTS:1. switch camera with F2.2. hold shift and click desired destination.3. switch camera back with F3.4. repeat everytime I want to change course.is this accurate (I'm at work)? sheesh. not very user-friendly.

walrusbomb said:
so to walk in OTS:1. switch camera with F2.2. hold shift and click desired destination.3. switch camera back with F3.4. repeat everytime I want to change course.is this accurate (I'm at work)? sheesh. not very user-friendly.
You've got it, that's the way to do it. Its not that bad, and Geralt's pathfinding is actually really good, so you can click on a spot far far away and he'll do whatever it takes to get there, which gives you plenty of time to switch back to isometric and click your next waypoint while he's enroute.

JeffersonJones said:
You've got it, that's the way to do it. Its not that bad, and Geralt's pathfinding is actually really good, so you can click on a spot far far away and he'll do whatever it takes to get there, which gives you plenty of time to switch back to isometric and click your next waypoint while he's enroute.
As long as no one gets in his way :wall:But this seems so 'artifical' and convoluted. Why is it so hard to simply give us a toggle walk vs run?

I maybe completely dreaming when I did this. I seem to remember in one of the isometric modes, if you HOLD down the left mouse button, the cursor turns into an arrow, and if you "pull" the arrow close to Geralt, he will start walking (the arrow turns into a shorter one too). Turn the arrow towards the direction you want to go while still holding down the mouse button that way, he walks continuously. I should check it in a moment to confirm. (I'm taking a break from the game because I get motion sickness for playing for too long...)

margreti, you're correct. There are numerous ways to walk in non-OTS mode.the problem is so many of us play OTS mode. I've never seen something as simply as allowing "walk" in all modes go unpatched for so long. The devs must love tears.

Xertus said:
Sorry if I missed something here. But I recently purchased the new EE version and by holding down the left SHIFT key Geralt walks just fine. I don't think you can toggle it, but yes you can walk.Cheers
Yes, you missed that this doesn't work in over the shoulder mode. Only in the other two isometric type of views.

Top Bottom