Some ideas for improvement after 1st playthrough.

+
Some ideas for improvement after 1st playthrough.

Hi everyone.

This is some impromptu thoughts after my first playthrough on a W2 import save (Iorveth path, Saskia still spellbound)
It will be a mix of comments on gameplay and story elements I feel need to comment on, along with some preliminary suggestions on how to improve these issues.

W3 Wild hunt is overall an extremely impressive game, although it feels a little bit rushed in places. Given the sheer maginitude of the game I can not blame
Issue: Where is dice poker? It could not just have disappeared from the world even with the rising popularity of Gwent?

Solution: Bring Dice poker back if possible.

Issue: Gwent- not lore/continuity friendly? The Gwent cards contain characters that probably should not be in a popular card-game. Is Zoltan a huge enough celebrity? Does the people manufacturing and distributing these card know Eredins name?

Solution: Make it more as a traditional card deck, generic soldiers and Kings and Heros from Legends of old with some recent additions to help with morale during times of war (Natalis etc). It could be a game option that you turn on. Lore- friendly Gwent.

Issue: Item import, gear stats, formulas and starting skills. Where is all the great gear Geralt have collected through his journey through the lasy games? The grinding for new weapons and armor could have been made much more optional if you could import high grade gear from w2. Geralt does not need to collect alchemical formulas for potions and bombs because he is... yes, he is a witcher and they know their recipes.

Solution If the game can´t sense the gear in import make a "Kaer morhen equipment screen" at the start of the game stating that Geralt has received word from Yen and needs to choose among the relics he have collected and head out. Balancing issues can be migrated by making swords n armor much more equal in terms of weight and material.
Heavier cutting weapons do more damage because they weigh more, but are slower (basic primary modifiers) and material as well as craftsmanship determines balancing and durability bonuses as well as capacity to hold runes (secondary modifiers). In short: Relics such as Aerondight, Forgotten Vran sword etc, could have slightly higher bonuses over regular swords of corresponding size and shape in terms of weight speed, damage, they can hold runes and have significantly higher durability (less need of repair).Non magical/relic swords should not have magical modifiers.
The same logic would go for legendary armor such as Raven´s, Kinslayers etc.

Issue: Re-used character models and voices.
Solution Use some kind of software that randomizes and morphes faces > put a finishing touch on the best candidates. Also Get help from modders. Hire some voice-actors, theater students or whatever to add some voiceovers. Coordinate with modders with good recording setups.

Issue: Troll design. Ok, let´s say there are different trolls.
Solution Bring back some of the old ones please. Really, why try to fix something that was not broken?

minor issue: Dudu talking instead of doing. If he wants to prove beyond any doubt he is not the real whoreson Junior, he can shapeshift right? Or am I missing something here?
Solution Shapeshifting is better proof than some story that could have been leaked.

Issue: Lamp not used enough. Instead of performing garden destroying necromancy on Skellige to get information why not just give Geralt the option to try the lamp if he have it?
Solution Provide an option to at least try the lamp.

Issue: Saskia, Iorveth and other characters like Adda, and her siblings missing. Two highly important character is missing from the game. Would be nice to at least have the option to ask about them. I mean, my Geralt told Triss to take Iorveth somewhere to heal after freeing her from the Nilfgaard camp. Adda and her siblings are absent from the game. As they are Tamerian Roylaty, they should influence the games political aspect in a significant way.

Solution At minimum provide some dialog concerning their whereabouts.

Issue: Anna too old?. The Bloody Baron´s wife does not look like someone who was able to be pregnant not that long ago. Or have I missed something?

Solution Make the character 20 year younger?

Issue: Popping potions. How about an animation for drinking potions in combat and the ability to take potions in preparation.

Solution It would ad an element of realism as well as strategy if you had to find the time window (like in the first game) and have potions not taken before combat coming with a weaker, shorter and a few seconds delayed effect.

Minor issue: The huge inventory.
Solution How about restricting Geralts inventory and add it to a saddlebag storage only available when riding the horse.

Issue: Radovid overly crazy. Radovid has gone overly crazy in the game.
Solution Expand upon the political aspect of the game with info on how he successfully conspired with Kaedweni nobles to dispose of Henselt and aquire Kaedwen. More info on Radovids tactical expertise, plans and the reason why he grows increasingly paranoid and crazy (Traumatic and medically event like Adda and large portions of the court poisoned by Alchemists with Radovid barely surviving with the help of some loyal mages and herbalists? etc)

Issue: Strange and inappropriate loot. Noonwrath dropping Forgotten Vran sword? Lots of farmers with strange alchemy stash?
Solution Lore-appropriate placement of Relics and such.

...And improve the stealing feature to make it more strict. Most stuff actually belongs to someone.

Last edited:
Issue: Lamp not used enough. Instead of performing garden destroying necromancy on Skellige to get information why not just give Geralt the option to try the lamp if he have it?
Solution Provide an option to at least try the lamp.

Geralt: "Wait, let's try this l"
Yen: "Too late, already working black magic. It's the only way."

Okay here´s my take!

Dice Poker:
Don´t mind that it´s not in the game.

Gwent Issue: No big deal. It´s a mini game, it´s not connected to the story or the world that much except for the fact that some characters play it.

Imported gear from W2: Why not although I don´t think I´d use it.

Character models: I think that the variety of secondary and background characters in this game is rather good. But I would definitely add more facial morphs for the children. Adults are fine.

Troll design: Trolls did look different in W2 but well whatever, didn´t bother me that much that the new ones are more rocky.

Dudu talking: Maybe he was scared that somebody would suddenly walk in and see him in his true form. No big deal at all.

Lamp: Didn´t even think about that during that quest : D Nice detail you noticed there : ) But the lamp would only show the past how he died and it might not let Geralt interact with the ghost. Still worth trying though : D

Saskia, Iorveth, Adda missing: I agree, this is a huge issue. Those are 3 very important characters.

Anna too old: Yes thats exactly what I thought. She definitely looks like she´s around 55 years old. Don´t know that many women who are having kids after 50.

Potions: Don´t really mind.

Huge inventory:
It would be nice to have a personal storage in the bank : ) Especially for books and notes!

Radovid crazy:
Well whatever. I feel like there was not enough chance to get to know his character very well other than the quests he is involved in. You can´t go to him and chat with him about stuff, ask him about his motives and such. Which is a shame.

Strange loot: Didn´t really notice this when playing.

Dice Poker: Have to say I did like Dice Poker, quite a bit, maybe they could add it into one of the expansions, but I'm not sure it warrants a substantial amount of development time.

Gwent Issue: Didn't really have a problem with this.

Imported gear from W2: I understand this criticism, but I would rather them focus on W2 choices and consequences and their impact in the W3 rather than inventory import, but if they are able to do it easily...why not.

Character models: I think some more faces would be nice. It was especially funny when you just have a conversation with someone, then find a "!" quest and it's a person with the same face. Killed immersion a little bit.

Troll design: While I do prefer the W2 Troll design, I'm not sure if it warrants the time. Maybe if it's an easy fix they could add in both types and just name them accordingly?

Dudu talking: I got the impression he didn't change because his lackeys were standing 5 feet away (separated by a thin wooden wall). Not sure why he would risk it. This is like someone removing a disguise intended to fool people in the next room just to prove a point.

Lamp: I found a few different uses for the lamp, but some more would have been nice...sure.

Saskia, Iorveth, Adda missing: Can't argue with this point at all. Completely agree.

Anna too old: This was a little wonky, sure they should probably shave at least a decade or two off of her to make it less of an immersion breaker, but this is one of those that should be low on the list.

Potions: Didn't mind this.

Huge inventory: I actually thought about that while playing. I thought you could use your horse as a sort of 'storage' trunk. I did find though that by the time I got upgraded witcher gear, I was selling/breaking down most other stuff so it made the inventory less of an issue, but the mass clutter was still there. I would also like some more sorting options, if possible.

Radovid crazy: I think Radovid should be a little crazy, he was clearly heading in that direction at the end of the Witcher 2. But I feel they went too far. At the end of the Witcher 2, he was shrewd and cunning in his actions though slightly tainted by a deep hatred that stems from Philippa. They basically pushed the madness 'slider' all the way to bat shit crazy though without leaving any indication that he still possessed any of those previous traits, which made the whole 'he's a strategic and tactical genius' seem all the less believable.

Strange loot: I did notice this, but it didn't really bother me...I guess this could be fixed with mods.

All in all, interesting list. I think there are some items on here that could be mod-fixed, while others would require a bit more of a substantial investment of time and resources.

Couple points I want to touch on:

Inventory:
I'm still hoping for a game that pulls something like that off. While I really enjoy looting lots of things Diablo style, Witcher would really mesh well with a more immersive and trimmed down amount of loot. Say if you need to kill 4 or 5 Nekkers in order to get an intact claw that you then take off an put into your horses' storage. Not as satisfying for those "loot all"ers but less is more in Witcher-verse.

Working on inventory and looting systems is extremely complicated though and I guess I don't have a huge problem with what we have. It's sure to please most people.

On the topic of inventory, there were two things I want to see changed though.
1) Being able to read books/letters/pages immediately upon pickup. It got old really fast having to do 5 or 6 clicks to read that quest-relevant document.
2) PC needs a proper quickbar so I don't have to do a bunch of actions to switch out items. That, or prevent me from changing out potions + oils during combat.

Perhaps make me go to an alchemy pouch hanging on Roach to pick up my potions + oils? Show the quickslot items on Geralt somewhere and give him an animation to use them.

More Lamp moments would've been a "nice-to-have". I think it was a missed opportunity to incorporate the lamp more heavily in the tracking segments. Perhaps there's one quest that leads you to the wrong conclusion if you simply follow the tracks and you need the lamp to show you an important clue that you would otherwise miss. Things like that don't even need voice overs, or perhaps just a generic scream.

I'd like to add one thing to your list though.

Make sailing more dangerous and interesting!
It would be really awesome to see CDPR do another iteration on the water physics. It doesn't have to be as crazy as in "Assassin's Creed: Black Flag" but Skellige exploration would've been A LOT more compelling if the waters were difficult to navigate. Remove the ability to fast travel to the islands to force people to sail to them once and you're golden.

I'm talking about bigger swells that depend on the weather, requiring user input to avoid damaging the boat. Mix things up on the journey by making it a bit of a challenge. Atmosphere is king on Skellige and this would add a lot.

Make sailing more dangerous and interesting!
It would be really awesome to see CDPR do another iteration on the water physics. It doesn't have to be as crazy as in "Assassin's Creed: Black Flag" but Skellige exploration would've been A LOT more compelling if the waters were difficult to navigate. Remove the ability to fast travel to the islands to force people to sail to them once and you're golden.

I'm talking about bigger swells that depend on the weather, requiring user input to avoid damaging the boat. Mix things up on the journey by making it a bit of a challenge. Atmosphere is king on Skellige and this would add a lot.

Damnit Zero...but yeah, I'm a huge fan of sailing stuff (loved Black Flag due to that), and I found the fact that there was no 'fatigue' factor while swimming was disappointing. If your ship sank while at sea in Skellige, I feel you should be able to drown. I remember one time having my ship sink and then I was able to swim to a 'somewhat' nearby island no problem. I also wanted more treacherous environmental factors while at sea, including other ships! Increased buoyancy movement with the ability to hit rocks on an approach. Bigger swells from weather or having it be possible for the wind to blow you off course would all have been really cool.

...I found the fact that there was no 'fatigue' factor while swimming was disappointing. If your ship sank while at sea in Skellige, I feel you should be able to drown.

Considering you are able to stay afloat despite wearing two swords and a full set of armour, a fatigue system would've been a good compromise. Factor in the weight of your equipped gear to your ability to swim. Might even make people take their armour off when going swimming, how funny would that be?

Okay here´s my take!

Dice Poker:
Don´t mind that it´s not in the game.

Gwent Issue: No big deal. It´s a mini game, it´s not connected to the story or the world that much except for the fact that some characters play it.

Imported gear from W2: Why not although I don´t think I´d use it.

Character models: I think that the variety of secondary and background characters in this game is rather good. But I would definitely add more facial morphs for the children. Adults are fine.

Troll design: Trolls did look different in W2 but well whatever, didn´t bother me that much that the new ones are more rocky.

Dudu talking: Maybe he was scared that somebody would suddenly walk in and see him in his true form. No big deal at all.

Lamp: Didn´t even think about that during that quest : D Nice detail you noticed there : ) But the lamp would only show the past how he died and it might not let Geralt interact with the ghost. Still worth trying though : D

Saskia, Iorveth, Adda missing: I agree, this is a huge issue. Those are 3 very important characters.

Anna too old: Yes thats exactly what I thought. She definitely looks like she´s around 55 years old. Don´t know that many women who are having kids after 50.

Potions: Don´t really mind.

Huge inventory:
It would be nice to have a personal storage in the bank : ) Especially for books and notes!

Radovid crazy:
Well whatever. I feel like there was not enough chance to get to know his character very well other than the quests he is involved in. You can´t go to him and chat with him about stuff, ask him about his motives and such. Which is a shame.

Strange loot: Didn´t really notice this when playing.

Poker is an established part of the Witcher universe. That is why I want it back.

Gwent is heavily integrated into the story. Why not do it properly? Like a proper card game?

Imported gear would reflect Geralts journey and accomplishments. Levelled loot is just a crappy idea.

Fine? Nah. simply too many clones walking around.

Don´t mind the new trolls, but why not just re-use the previous models, at least as some forest troll variation. The rock-trolls are small.

If Dudu is afraid of getting exposed he should keep his voice down.

I interpreted that the Lamp could allow for communication, but that the spirits in those examples were stuck in their own memories, restlessly repeating what the experienced before death.

The devs should have prioritised wrapping up main character storylines over some of those side quests. Priorities.

Yeah, dont know why they made Anna that old.

I would like the added realism of realistic potion use. The same goes for inventory and loot.

Radovids storyline could easily have been expanded. The easiest way through some books, and some dialogue.

Last edited:
Also: In Novigrad should not the witch-hunters and church know about Geralts connection with Triss and Yennefer? Sounds highly unlikely any bluff would work unless some kind of disguise/fake identity was used, like Geralt wearing a helmet and pretending to be a mercenary or something (like: I am Adam Pangret, also known as "Adieu" . I have captured the sorceress Triss Merigold!)

Regarding Iorveth and Saskia.

They could at least have had them and the world state mentioned when you are looking at the war table in Vizima. ("We have had a setback in Upper Aedirn. Vergen is Ruled by Saskia the Dragon slayer and their defences remain strong. It has a large voluntary army, Scoia'tael units are swarming the woods under commanders such as Iorveth and Isengrim. Not to speak of the Dragon that burns anyone trying to march via the mountain paths. As long as the conflict with Redania remains unresolved it seems unlikely we will be able to muster a force great enough to archive any victory in Upper Aedirn ").

What do you think about a "combat competence" feature? I am thinking that adding variables such as attack speed and ability to parry Geralts blows would be a good idea. For example: Peasants without any combat training should not be able to effectively parry blows from someone such as Geralt.

And how about some enemies fleeing if they feel outclassed because Geralt has either thrashed their comrades or they are clearly outclassed?

Last edited:
I don't have much of a problem with gwent cards.The majority of cards don't make any sense of course,but I'm still happy to see characters like Regis and Borch on them :D

Last edited:

Guest 2812644

A lot of good ideas; I would also add that after the leaving Vizma in the start it would be more logical that Geralt would enter Velen from the Nilfguard camp vice the Hangman Tree.

I don't have much of a problem with gwent cards.The majority of cards don't make any sense of course,but I'm still happy to see characters like Regis and Borch on them :D

Well, it would could not be that hard to have the option of a lore-friendly mode that You could switch on and off.
Regis and Borch would just be "vampire" and "dragon" cards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom