Witcher 3 - last game in the Witcher franchise (NO!!!!!)

+
I think another game in the same universe would not be that bad, as the other witchers seem quite interesting but are not really developed. Eskel, for example, would be a rather interesting and badass main character.

I am happy with TW3 being the conclusion of Geralt's story. It just can't go on forever. I would understand if CDP want to move on, as they have been working on The Witcher series for many years now.

This is probably for the best. Sure, there is more that could be done, but if they make good on what they said in the preview, there will be an absolutely massive world with tons of questing. If they make good on the 100 hours worth of questing, there will be plenty of time spent in order to wrap things up nicely. Even if a lot of that time is spent on sidequests, I think they'll tie things up in a good way. As others have said, too many series get run into the ground because the publisher tells the developer to just keep making more sequels, so it is nice to see a dev ending things when they feel it is appropriate, as opposed to doing more even though the story was over, like with Mass Effect. Given how long they've been at this, I can see why they'd be ready to be done. If they did decide to do more down the road, I really hope they stick with Geralt. The books and the games are really about him, and while there are plenty of other interesting characters, it just doesn't seem appropriate to make a Witcher game without Geralt.

Nah, this is good. Personally, I'm goddamn sick of fishing a game, or even a trilogy, just for a big fat "The End?" after the credits, because the producers didn't have the balls to close the door on their cash cow.

150+ hours across three games, with mod tools, it'll be more than enough. Let Geralt have a finished, concise story, rather than one that drags on forever for no apparent reason like most other video game protagonists. I fully support CDPR in giving him a big send-off, wrapping up the trilogy proper, and moving on to invest their creativity elsewhere.

Well, CDP CEO said that while the trilogy will conclude Geralt's story (which is great!) the franchise itself will continue (which is great too!).

So I am not sad anymore : )
There is so much potential in this world. I would love to see Brokilon one day. And other Kingdoms and places, and meet more characters.

Meh I'm too new to the Witcher universe to feel happy or content about this news. I'm sad, really sad. And too hyped about everything about it to think rationally.

I'm obviously sad about saying goodbye to Geralt, but this is best I think. He will be more memorable and the games will be better if they're given a strong resolution and then put out to pasture. Bravo CDPR. You put the fans and the art first, and keep making it tough for us to be cynical about video game developers.

You put the fans and the art first, and keep making it tough for us to be cynical about video game developers.

I don't think they put fans first with this decision, but they certainly put art there.

The open world:
After the main story maybe the game doesn't end there. Maybe we can do bunch of sidequests and regular wither work with nicely crafted mini-stories. And since the world is so large there should be much to do for hours even after the main plot. That would be great wouldn't it? We could visit all the mountains, forests, villages and see how they've changed after the war or main plot.

I've always wanted to see consequences after the major plot and see how things settle down and become normal again. I want to live that time too, not just after defeating the last boss, watch ending texts and end the gaming for good (or start it from the beginning). I usually would enjoy the "outro" most but sadly many games don't allow that..

So.. maybe the game doesn't end that quick even if the main story has its limit. I think that would be the best state to leave the last game in. :)

WORRY NO MORE!
This interview with CD Projekt CEO says that "This is the last part of the trilogy, in which there will be great final of the story. This doesn't mean however the end of franchise. Franchise WILL be continued."

The other thing is that he mentioned Next-gen CONSOLES (not only "all high-end platforms available" that Gameinformer wrote earlier about). So we can be pretty sure about Xbox3 and PS4/Orbis (and of course PC first).

I can't imagine witcher game without Geralt . I want Geralt back at some point . May be after cyberpunk series but there should be The Witcher 4 : Return of the White Wolf .

Fido said:
WORRY NO MORE!
This interview with CD Projekt CEO says that "This is the last part of the trilogy, in which there will be great final of the story. This doesn't mean however the end of franchise. Franchise WILL be continued."

The other thing is that he mentioned Next-gen CONSOLES (not only "all high-end platforms available" that Gameinformer wrote earlier about). So we can be pretty sure about Xbox3 and PS4/Orbis (and of course PC first).

Don't know how far that is true. More witcher games is what I want and will be happy, but they won't be the same without Geralt. But at the same time, I would like to see them move on to other IPs as they are a great the best studio of developers today, and have my money and love always.

Today I saw a news about ,and it says TW3 is the last song about Geralt
I really feel sad about that,I thought Geralt's legion will go long,became the most famous hero in the world
And I was thinking can TW3 beat TES and GTA
is one of my most favorite game,now it may gone and never back,I don't know what to say

Aver

Forum veteran
I Polish media there was suggestion that it will be last story about Geralt, but maybe in future there will be another game in the same world.

But yeah, it's kinda sad that it's the last story. It's weird that they announced before release, instead after release. It's like a spoiler.

I always wished they would make a game in Witchers universe set long time before current events , that would let you play as a fully customizable Witcher.

If you want to make a good story, it is important that you ultimately limit the lenght of the story.
Otherwise the character, his friends and problems become worn and dull.
If you've watched a story or character driven american tv show you have seen this.

Dexter, Dr. House, Heroes, Lost (season 1+2), all were great series with interesting characters to start.
But by season 2-5 it starts derailing as the story either contorts into something meaningless to keep it going (lost), contorts to confirm to the actor choices (Heroes, Also in Dr. House on occasion), or as the characters get worn the show stops being interesting (Dexter, House, Heroes).

The Witcher series is story driven, and Projekt Red is dedicated to providing awesome games. Therefore they are unlikely to keep The Witcher Series going for too long, because the quality will inevitably fall.
Do not worry. If Projekt Red continue existing, they will most likely continue to make great RPG's, just new ones with new interesting characters to meet, potentially new cultures, areas or worlds.

Also I don't think any great story driven RPG's have retained the same main character beyond 3 games. At least I can't think of any.

I think the biggest problem for more sequels is the lore, Witcher 3 will be the end of this story (Wild Hunt and Nilfgaard war), so if they decide to make another Witcher game, they need to start another story, but what about? Another war? Another Wild Hunt? A prequel without ANY information about Geralts past history?

They already adapt every story relevant point from the novels, there is no more, so if they intend to make a sequel, they have to make an own story and that could be very tricky, because Sapkowski invented this universe not any writer at CDPR.

IF Sapkowski will ever release a sequel, then it would be plausible to make another Witcher game, but Sapkowski takes his time and does.. well what does he anyway at the moment? The last book he release is a couple of years ago.

Anyway my point is, the story ends with Witcher 3 and so does the series, it just makes sense.

And don't forget the Redkit, if it is as powerful as many already stated, we, the users, could add whole countries/people (with synchronisation) and so on into the game, if the Redkit also works for Witcher 3.

Ankil737 said:
Today I saw a news about ,and it says TW3 is the last song about Geralt
I really feel sad about that,I thought Geralt's legion will go long,became the most famous hero in the world
And I was thinking can TW3 beat TES and GTA
is one of my most favorite game,now it may gone and never back,I don't know what to say

GTA and TES is a story driven game, but not a story driven series, you always play another character in every game, that's a big difference to the Witcher series, where you play a predefined character.

Every good story has to end, without an ending it isn't a good story.

If you didn't yet, you should read the books, there is also an english fan translation over here.

Corylea said:
I think going out with a bang makes sense, even as I'm sad that we'll be seeing the last of Geralt. As for those hints that they could make a non-Geralt game in Sapkowski's universe someday, that doesn't really make me happy.

I enjoyed being in Sapkowski's world for a time, but it's really GERALT that I love. So a chance of revisiting the world without him doesn't excite me. I'd still probably buy the game if CDPR made it, but to me, the chance of a future non-Geralt game in Sapkowski's world does not alter the bittersweet nature of the ending of the trilogy.

Word on everything she said. Witcher game without Geralt is not gonna be the same.

I feel as if I was already counting the days for the release and it is still more than a year away.

And yes, I love the new (f-manly) beard

Yeah I'm bummed out too. Though they have, apparently, said that it isn't the last game in the franchise. Only the last game in the trilogy, in the story of Geralt. Unless the latest press release was a lie which I doubt. Personally, I'll miss Geralt. I think Doug Cockle gave the character a spirit and life unmatched in the industry. I'm gonna miss him a lot :(

Though looking forward to the future. Who knows what else is in store for us when it comes to the Witcher universe! Damn, I shouldn't get so hyped up. Witcher 3 isn't even out yet! :p

Top Bottom