Witcher 3 Resolutions at launch

+

Guest 3788317

i wrote a mail to CDP - :

"I enjoyed playing The Witcher 2 in widescreen 21:9 resolution (3440x1440) !!
Unfortunately the Witcher 2 don’t support this resolution “out of the box”.

So I have to use the nice little tiny tool “Widescreen Fixer” – thankfully it works perfect with this …

But I am afraid that The Witcher 3 (although its absolutely NEXT GEN) will not support this resolution also!
This would be very disappointing for me cause “Widescreen Fixer “ Team would surely need at least 1-2 months to add this feature.

Please can you give me feedback if this resolution will be supported?"

I got this answer :

"Hey,

regarding your question about the resolution -- I don't have such information at the current moment in time."

now i wil answer this:

"hey - thanks for your answer but i somehow dont understand that 1 month before you release the game you dont know which resolutions you support and which not?
i mean this is something you cannot change in 1 month right? so it has to be already clear :)

But i understand if you cannot share the information if its "negative" - thanks for your time! Best regards...."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then, is there any information about Surround / Eyefinity multi-monitor support in Witcher 3? I'm starting to think there might be performance limitations for streaming with wider FOV. If that's the case, then i don't see a problem with admitting such limitations instead of using tactic of silence and generic non-answers.

"hey - thanks for your answer but i somehow dont understand that 1 month before you release the game you dont know which resolutions you support and which not?
You are expecting PR and tech support people to know these details before they are given any information? :p
It's not like they have to be ready for any support queries right now, there's still more than a month left till release, when such questions might be asked.

It doesn't matter how much time is left realistically for any change to occur, one will only know what their job demands at a given time(unless they have direct access to the game).

Last edited:
i wrote a mail to CDP - :

"I enjoyed playing The Witcher 2 in widescreen 21:9 resolution (3440x1440) !!
Unfortunately the Witcher 2 don’t support this resolution “out of the box”.

So I have to use the nice little tiny tool “Widescreen Fixer” – thankfully it works perfect with this …

But I am afraid that The Witcher 3 (although its absolutely NEXT GEN) will not support this resolution also!
This would be very disappointing for me cause “Widescreen Fixer “ Team would surely need at least 1-2 months to add this feature.

Please can you give me feedback if this resolution will be supported?"

I got this answer :

"Hey,

regarding your question about the resolution -- I don't have such information at the current moment in time."

now i wil answer this:

i mean this is something you cannot change in 1 month right? so it has to be already clear :)

But i understand if you cannot share the information if its "negative" - thanks for your time! Best regards...."

You are a persistent son of a gun, I'll give ya that. Keep fighting the good fight, man. Hopefully we'll have an answer before release.

Well I don't plan on buying TW3 for a year or two, simply to allow bugfixes and improvements (not to mention cheaper GPU).

But playing it on 21:9 would be ideal since it is more cinematic. The Witcher is a story worthy of a movie-esq experience.

Guest 3788317

still waiting for answer from the DEVS - hey ... i mean its already GOLD .... :-D

Seriously they should just put us out of our misery at this point.

I am sure the developers would love for TW3 to work in 21:9, but life presents constraints in time and resources. Have you considered that they may not be responding, because they are working on it for the release, or for a later date? That there will be near zero difference in sales if they admitted it will not work in 21:9 ahead of release?

Patience.

I am sure the developers would love for TW3 to work in 21:9, but life presents constraints in time and resources. Have you considered that they may not be responding, because they are working on it for the release, or for a later date? That there will be near zero difference in sales if they admitted it will not work in 21:9 ahead of release?

Patience.

Why would "working on it for the release or for a later date" prevent them from responding? They could respond by saying "We're working on it for release or for a later date" and then everyone in this thread would be happy.

Also, don't comment on sales figures. You really have no idea how many copies TW3 won't sell if it doesn't support a variety of aspect ratios.

CDPR's silence on that topic is imho pathetic.

Witcher 3 "gone gold" my ass. Again.

If that was truly the case they wouldn't have any problem to just answer the damn question.

If that was truly the case they wouldn't have any problem to just answer the damn question.
So now you're claiming that CDPR is lying about the game going gold, something that takes minimum 3 to 5 weeks with no exceptions? In what bizzare world does 21:9 have anything to do with game going gold?

I suggest getting back on topic instead of baseless accusations.

Last edited:
So now you're claiming that CDPR is lying about the game going gold, something that takes minimum 3 to 5 weeks with no exceptions? In what bizzare world does 21:9 have anything to do with game going gold?

In the strangely bizzare world in which a game "gone gold" means that the game is indeed feature complete which also means that the different possible resolutions and ratios are finally known and already implemented. In that bizzare world there would be no reason to not anwer the question asked here...

What does "gold status" mean in your books? Maybe we have different definitions of that...

My book? I don't have my own gold book, it simply means one thing - the game's code has been submitted and is now having all the physical copies being made. The game has been 'feature complete' for months, that's what 'beta' denotes.

That has nothing to do with any devs willingness or unwillingness to respond to any questions on the forums. Not every person on the team knows or needs to know these things and you'd be mistaken if you think Reds just read the forums looking for questions to answer.

My book? I don't have my own gold book, it simply means one thing - the game's code has been submitted and is now having all the physical copies being made. The game has been 'feature complete' for months, that's what 'beta' denotes.

That has nothing to do with any devs willingness or unwillingness to respond to any questions on the forums. Not every person on the team knows or needs to know these things and you'd be mistaken if you think Reds just read the forums looking for questions to answer.
It's highly unlikely that somebody like Marcin hasn't read it already. If he didn't he doesn't do his job as community manager properly IMHO. Isn't his job to communicate with the community? And it's not like this thread exists only since yesterday...

So if you ask me it has very well something to do with them not willing to say something on the topic. But that's just my opinion, you don't have to share it of course.

I think what he means is that, since the game has "gone gold," then all major features are now decided upon and committed to. Aspect ratio support is almost certainly something that the devs know and could share at this point. This is a prominent, long-running thread and yet no Red has commented and no info dump has made any mention of our question, so it seems like the silence is purposeful.

Guest 3788317

It's highly unlikely that somebody like Marcin hasn't read it already. If he didn't he doesn't do his job as community manager properly IMHO. Isn't his job to communicate with the community? And it's not like this thread exists only since yesterday...

So if you ask me it has very well something to do with them not willing to say something on the topic. But that's just my opinion, you don't have to share it of course.

I can assure you that Marcin Momot knows about this thread.

You ask why?

because i wrote him several mails and nailed to this topic.

They know about the topic, and they aren't responding because that would give people fuel to post "The Witcher 3 won't support 21:9 monitors" all over the internet :p

The Witcher 2 was pretty locked down in terms of available aspect ratios. Required Widescreen Fixer to get it working. I'm sure if TW3 doesn't support it out of the box, someone will hack the feature back in.... like always. Regular folk are always fixing developer shortcomings. Nothing new.

Guest 3788317

you're right - but what do you think will happen when the game will be released?
People who care about this aspect ratio will be pissed cause they buyed the game without the information :)

its like buying a car without knowing if the radio system inside will support MP3 or not ... and the car dealer says to you:

" I dont know it - at the moment of time "

take an example on GTA 5 - it was moved also twice and when it came out the technical side of the game was really prefectly worked out. and 21:9 native support :) ....

If was an optimistic man, I'd say that they were being quiet because they are doing cost/benefit analysis (or have already done one) due to this thread, and are trying to decide on and/or complete 21:9 support before responding.

This is a pretty lengthy process for a number of failpoints.

They may feel that adding the support is worth the dev time, but they may not have a dev to do it immediately, they may decide it isn't worth the dev time (instant no response thereafter), they may be hoping they'll have the dev time to sneak it into the day one patch, or people might so tasked to capacity during this final sprint that they are unsure if they will be able to add support prior to the game's release in less than 4 weeks even if it's become a feature they are willing/would like to add. (See Redkit tools)

It can be nice and tempting to fill your head and the heads of others with all of the motivations you've created for people who haven't explained their motivations to you, but don't immediately assume the worst of people.

These devs have already bent themselves over backwards adding customization options for this game, and shouting that people 'aren't doing their jobs' is a very disparaging and ungrateful viewpoint to direct at people who are creating something so spectacular that people feel the need to email them about ultra-widescreen support so that they can eek out every ounce of extra immersion on their initial experience with the product.

Top Bottom