Witcher 3 Resolutions at launch

+
and shouting that people 'aren't doing their jobs' is a very disparaging and ungrateful viewpoint to direct at people who are creating something so spectacular that people feel the need to email them about ultra-widescreen support so that they can eek out every ounce of extra immersion on their initial experience with the product.
That's not ungrateful. This is a product we likely buy for money. We don't have to be grateful. It's a business transaction with them being the producers and us being the customers. We can be happy that they make this product but that's about it. No reason to be grateful for anything (at least until somebody gives me something for free...)

Some people here want to know certain specifications of the product, e.g. whether ultra wide resolution will be supported. That's most likely the case because they own an ultra wide monitor setup they plan to use accordingly for this game. I don't see how that is an disrespectful or unfitting question. But it Is imo disrespectful towards the potential customer to just be silent on the topic. That's indeed like someone working on in shop doesn't answer you at all when you ask the person a question about a specific product...

Last edited:
It is not a disrespectful or unsuitable question.

But demanding an answer in peremptory tones, with accusations that you have been lied to, is disrespectful and offensive. Businesses will certainly not extend preferential treatment to customers who make a point of never trusting them and always demanding everything, even explanations they might have otherwise been entitled to.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Last edited:
I'm in no way saying you should be, or are required to be grateful for the game being made (though I personally am, as I've made quite a number of transactions in the games department which don't seem like even remotely the same level of game-value for the amount of money paid as TW3 promises). Obviously, that's a business transaction. They're putting in knowledge, skill, time, and effort. You are putting in $60 (assuming no CE and not taking advantage of the multiple pre-order discounts).

And for that exchange, you are getting a product that is practically guaranteed to meet the same quality standards of 95% or better of the same products currently on the market which have been listed at the same pricepoint.

However.

Ultra-widescreen support (21:9) is a very new thing, as decent 21:9 monitors are just now beginning to saturate the market and only make up a combined total of 0.19% of the potential PC gaming market (already a subset of the total TW3 market):

3440 x 1440 0.03%
2560 x 1080 0.16%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Philips even discontinued their 21:9 monitors in 2012 due to low demand and brought them back /solely/ as a split-screen office productivity solution, not even marketing them for home use anymore, let alone gaming.

While I can appreciate the desire to know if there is a chance that 21:9 may or may not be eventually supported by TW3, and I most certainly won't try to speak for you, I'd absolutely be grateful that the response hasn't been an immediate and concrete no.

expecting an immediate answer for the 'will the witcher 3 support 21:9' is perfectly reasonable. Why? The game has gone gold...it's already hard copied onto disc. Why wouldn't CDPR just give us an answer? Isnt it a simple yes or no? Im sure A LOT of people are planning hardware upgrades for this game so it'll be vastly unfair to them to delay a purchase just because CDPR failed to deliver a timely answer (I mean the game is less than a month away thats cutting it mighty short if planning a monitor upgrade). That said , i also disagree with people above who said that 21:9 support is a lot of extra work and resources...really? if that is the case why does a small free third party like 'Flawless Widescreen' come out widescreen fixes sometimes just a week after a game (not supporting native widescreen) comes out? Surely if a small third party like FW can do it in a week a company with millions of dollars and years of time surely could have incorporated it by now....

I can understand CDPR's silence on things like whether they have shown 'Ultra' settings or not but this? isnt this just merely technical information that would allow gamers to prepare for the title? I mean it's not as if people will boycott the game if they didnt have 21:9 support . Like someone said above 21:9 monitor users only make up a very small percentage of gamers. It would hardly affect their sales numbers. And i would highly doubt one would even refuse this game because of limited resolution. I dont really understand the reason for the silence. it's illogical IMHO.

Last edited:
It is not a disrespectful or unsuitable question.

But demanding an answer in peremptory tones, with accusations that you have been lied to, is disrespectful and offensive. Businesses will certainly not extend preferential treatment to customers who make a point of never trusting them and always demanding everything, even explanations they might have otherwise been entitled to.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I can't see how the OP's question was entitled:

Hi guys. Gotta say i love your games, and i'm sorry if this might break the forum rules but i'd like an answer to this question. I've got 1 more week to decide if i'll keep my 21:9 monitor or not.

I love how great ultra-wide is compared to normal HD but sadly for example TW2 doesn't support it, not even WSGF came up with a solution to it. Same with latest Ubisoft games but can't say i care much about those.

All in all, around 90% of the games do support it. Will you guys support it as well in TW3? Hopefully you can answer this so i can decide whether to keep my 21:9 or turn it in for a 1440p one.

Thanks and keep up the awesome work.

Remember: this is NOT about me. I'm just angry about CDPR's silence on the topic. They don't have to answer ME. They should answer all the poeple here who have just nicely asked for clarification on the topic. And it was offensive on their side first just not to answer the question in ANY WAY. To ignore questions of your potential customers is truly disrespectful and offensive. They shouldn't be surprised if at some point their fans and customers get a bit angry that they are just ignored on a constant basis. That's hot how good customer relationships should work...

I honestly don't know why it's so hard and obviously impossible to speak with your fans. A "We don't know yet. We're still looking into the possibility. Probably it won't be ready at relaese though if we decide to to with it" would be perfectly sufficient (even if I personally think that gold status should mean that you know for sure about stuff like that).

Last edited:
It's not hard to speak with your fans. But there is no reason to speak with bullies.

I am not writing in answer to the OP. I am writing in answer to your accusations, @Scholdarr.452 , and do not make me write this in my capacity as a moderator.

Whether the OP will get a direct answer to a justified question is up to CDPR. But no amount of badgering will induce them to answer, so drop it now.

Last edited:
It's not hard to speak with your fans. But there is no reason to speak with bullies.

I am not writing in answer to the OP. I am writing in answer to your accusations, @Scholdarr.452 , and do not make me write this in my capacity as a moderator.

Whether the OP will get a direct answer to a justified question is up to CDPR. But no amount of badgering will induce them to answer, so drop it now.

Bullies? That's ridiculous (and offensive on your side)...

And speculation =/= accusation

Anyway, they don't have to answer me. But they should answer the question raised in this topic. That's all.

3440x1440 user here. Would love to see widescreen support. It surprises me that we didn't get any replies yet on this topic even though the game has gone gold already...

Anyways If it does support my resolution I hope I can run it with my 970 sli setup, otherwise it will be 2560x1440 with black bars.

A post has just been deleted.

While we recognise the concern expressed by those who have been asking about 21:9 support for a long time now, there has been an attempt over the last two days to escalate this into a flamewar, by making accusations against CDPR and generally raising the temperature of this discussion. I would like to urge everyone else to calm down. We have been asking for further information on this issue.

Incidentally, a couple of the monitors shown playing the game in the recent videos looked as though they MIGHT be 21:9. I'm not sure because of the angles, but you may want to check them out and draw your own conclusions.

Guest 3788317

hallo dragonbird,

why my post was deleted? i dont attacked nobody and wanted to calm down the discussion???

Thanks for your information! really appreciate that.

OK, again I'm just guessing here, and I'm wary of providing false hope, but
released yesterday. Ignore the old material at the beginning, but look generally at the clips. The Youtube is obviously 16:9, but the clips are a mix of standard 16:9 and something that needed horizontal black bars to show in the video, it looks like 21:9 footage.

Watching that video, it looks like all of the 21:9 possible shots were trailers/cinematics.

I haven't decided if that is encouraging or not, yet.

The other one I was wondering about was this:
View attachment 12791
The "PC" screen. I wasn't sure, because of those icons on the right, I couldn't work out what was the actual edge of the screen area, but the aspect ratio definitely looks different to the two console ones.

If these were monitors being used for demos/walkthroughs, and you think that's a 21:9, I'd take that as tentative confirmation. Maybe not enough for making a purchase decision, but maybe enough to lessen the concern? But you know better than I do what a 21:9 screen should look like, so make up your own minds. :)

Last edited:

Guest 3788317

dragon - your my man! at least somebody to dream about :) Thanks for your thoughts!!!:comeatmebro:

Top Bottom