TW3 Save game import

+
I just finished my first dark playthrough and I am hoping I get to keep my Oathbreaker, Blasphemer and Kinslayer armor sets. Because they all are some of the best looking armors in The Witcher series so far.

I also expect that importing into TW3 on a next-gen console will have something like pre-definied backgrounds you can choose from" Scoi'atael or Order" in TW1 and "Roche or Iorveth" in TW2. They probably won't account for all of the many small choices made in both games, they will only reflect the biggest and most important choices.

Since the disappointment of the Import system from Bioware (Mass Effect) and from the Reds in TW 2 my faith in it is very little.
I can understand why they don't want that choices of you really matter, but if thats the case they should abandon it and establish a canon. I mean there are so many outcomes of TW2 that it would take a lot of ressources to make everyone happy that his/her choices actually matter and have an noticable influence on the story of TW3. Especially characters who eventually die in TW1/2 will have very little appearances I assume.

I Just hope I can import my darkmode armorsets and swords and a little amount of money.

Disappointment in TW2 import system? I thought it was fine, it worked 100% for me and what carried over was pretty natural. Are there problems I do not know about?

The consequences of your choices are very little.

For example when you joined the Scoia'tael in TW1 all you get is a little dialogue with Iorweth in Vergen about it.

The developers stated in a recent interview that the choices we made in TW2 will have SERIOUS and BIG impact on The Witcher 3 since a lot of events of the TW2 will be handled and dealt with in TW3.

Read it here on a thread, if you want a source I have to find it first, but I promise you I read it here and it was a direct translation of an interview given recently.

Also, they said that for those console players who can not import save files there will be a system in place to let them choose which major choices they made in TW2.

EDIT: Sorry if that is old news

Yes I read about that recently. Sounds promising. Maybe the first game really worth a save game import.

Yes I read about that recently. Sounds promising. Maybe the first game really worth a save game import.

I think it's good that TW1 did not have such a big effect on TW2 while TW2 will have a bigger effect on TW3. It's better to "get into" the series that way.
TW2 has a big graphic upgrade in comparison with TW1 and is different in gameplay, it's good for newcomers to get in the world by using TW2 as first game and then decide what to do, also only PC players played TW1 so a save game import was not that much of a priority, especially since TW1 was heavily focused on a Witcher-oriented story with even giving you the "neutral" "Witcher-like" choice when you had to decide who support, and since there were not that many TW1 decisions which actually could have a DIRECT impact on TW2 since TW2 has a lot of new characters and does not continue many storylines from TW1.

Now TW3 draws all stories of TW2 and TW1 together, concludes loose ends, deals with consequences of the actions, etc. And in this case I think the bigger impact is justified. So I think it is awesome how they did it.

The main problem in many series for me is that you have to play the first game of the franchise to "get into" the whole world and to be able to import your decisions. Those "first games" are always old and have clunky mechanics, make mistakes the later games do not and have bad graphics. Once you are IN the world and LIKE it those things all become suddenly acceptable. But if you are still unsure such elements can determine if you are loosing yourself in the world or if you quit the game, which is not good.

SO I think games like The Witcher 2 or Mass Effect 2 did that pretty well in terms of how impactfull your decisions in the first part were, while they also did a god job in terms of raising the stakes and impact of the choices for the next game (major political decisions in TW2, Suicide Mission in ME2). (That being said however, I hope that CDPR create a better game than Bioware with the 3rd part of the franchise (I actually have faith that they will), for obvious reasons)

That's my take on it.
The second part should not be too restrictive for newcomers in the beginning, while the third part - IMO - has more freedom in that regard.

Import TW2 save?

There was an option to import the data from TW1 into TW2, although it didn't matter much, it did make some cute references, starting items, and events.

Are we gonna get the same from TW3? For example, killing or sparing Letho was a pretty big deal, and the inclusion or absence of him might be too cost-ineffective for CDPR. Same goes for characters such as Saskia, who can end up differently based on what you do.

So, any confirmation regarding this?

Will we make all the major decisions of TW2 before we begin TW3?

Similar to how Mass Effect handled its games if there wasn't a previous save you could import, will we make all of the decisions of the last (two?) game(s) in a multiple choice style "test" when we start a new game in The Witcher 3 so the game's world is affected by the choices we want to make in the last games.

So from what everyone is saying they WILL let us make the decisions one at a time? Or do we HAVE to import save files otherwise we get a default setting that has a certain string of events that happened.

So from what everyone is saying they WILL let us make the decisions one at a time? Or do we HAVE to import save files otherwise we get a default setting that has a certain string of events that happened.

We don't know, nor do we know in detail how important past decisions will be.

The official information was that they were exploring how to do it. I think that many of us are hoping to be able to state the options we want, but whether or not it will exist is still an unknown.

Import of save files is supported on PC and (possibly) on Xbox. Not on PS. Non the less every version (PC, Xbox, PS) will have a Mass Effect-like section where you can choose which choices you made in TW2 (no TW1 save impact as far as I know).

That is what a recent interview stated. No promises though except for PC of course.

Save Important, Choices and Canon

Hello Fellow Witcher Fans,
I'm as hyped as you are for TW 3, it will be an awesome game and possibly the GOTY 2015
BUT I'm definitely disappointed that our choices (probably) won't matter at all
I mean especially the ones we made at the end of TW2 where we decided the fates of entire countries it seemed like a big deal and I was excited to see what will exactly happen now that (in my playthrough ) the Northern Kingdoms are so weak(with Henselt dead etc.)
And now it won't matter at all Whats the point of making choices and seemingly influencing things if we don't see the consequences?

What do you think about this? Is this illusion of choice enough for you? Sure they are talking about Save import but that will just be for PC and because of that the choices can't really matter too much because what about the consoles players then? Apart from some references and extra dialouge I don't see anything else matter

And I also wanted to ask if CDPR has talked about canon choices for the Xbox one and PS4 players so that I can choose them in my next playthrough because my PC is a bit old and I will probably play it on my PS4
And if they made Iowerth being alive canon it won't be strange for me because I killed him at the end, Maybe there are some moderators here that can answer this question
(and sry for my english, i'm from germany)

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Witcher Fans,
I'm as hyped as you are for TW 3, it will be an awesome game and possibly the GOTY 2015
I mean especially the ones we made at the end of TW2 where we decided the fates of entire countries it seemed like a big deal and I was excited to see what will exactly happen now that (in my playthrough ) the Northern Kingdoms are so weak(with Henselt dead etc.)
And now it won't matter at all Whats the point of making choices and seemingly influencing things if we don't see the consequences?

What do you think about this? Is this illusion of choice enough for you? Sure they are talking about Save import but that will just be for PC and because of that the choices can't really matter too much because what about the consoles players then? Apart from some references and extra dialouge I don't see anything else matter

And I also wanted to ask if CDPR has talked about canon choices for the Xbox one and PS4 players so that I can choose them in my next playthrough because my PC is a bit old and I will probably play it on my PS4
And if they made Iowerth being alive canon it won't be strange for me because I killed him at the end, Maybe there are some moderators here that can answer this question
(and sry for my english, i'm from germany)

They actually said that the choices from TW2 will have a huge impact on TW3. So I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Also there is no "canon" in the games, just default options, which I'm guessing that there will be.

They also neither confirmed nor denied those options for consoles.
There could be a short questionare at the start of the game, import save creation, nobody knows.
But for the sake of having standalone, contained stories with each of the Witcher games I guess they won't go overboard with inter-game repercussions.
But again, no info whatsoever on that besides "we want to/will try"

They can't go other the top with it because there's likely to be many new players to the games. They'll probably try and aim for the middle ground so new players aren't put off and the current fans aren't made to feel like their choices didn't matter.

How did you come to this conclusion might I ask?

The save import state will probably be identical to TW1-2 which carries over enough. Also there are no "canon" choices at all from the past 2 games.

Console Save File Suggestion

I've read that on the PC versions it is confirmed that the save files from the second Witcher game will impact on the third, however they're still trying to think of a way of implementing this for console versions.

I loved the first two games, I played them on Steam (bought because they were cheap) and I'm really looking forward to the third one. However if I'm going to pay full retail for a game (which I want to for this) then I want to buy it on my Xbox One. However I want my decisions made in the first two games to impact on my experience in the third as I want my full experience with Geralt. This dilemma would always go for those two bought the second game on Xbox 360 and want to play it on the One or even the PS4.

My suggestion is, that at the start of the third game, couldn't they implement a system where you can state that you have played the first two games, and it asks you what options you chose when? Therefore taking into account that you've done these things via manual input rather than it being taken from a prior save file. Yes, there may be tone of little choice that impact on the third game and you won't be able to cover them all, but I'm sure the major game changing choice such as who you side with in various situations could be made available, and the rest of the minor choices could be selected from a selection of defaults?

It just seems a waste if you're going to play and enjoy the first 2 (or maybe just the second) game(s) and then you're forced to revert to a default story which might not support your choices. Maybe it's too late to implement something like this if it's not already being considered?

Just a thought anyway, and wondering what other people think?

Totally agree, i actually suggested this on the wishlist thread a while back after some frustration in trying to get the game to import my saves. I don't know if they can actually find a way to transfer saves to other platforms but this feature seems simpler for the devs and the player so i hope it makes it in.

I for one would like a system similar to what DA: I is using with Dragon Age Keep. They could make it for all platforms, make it slick and in depth, consisting of choices made in both previous games. Would also mean you don't have to implement something like this in-game, so people that don't want it are not prompted with it when they start the game.

Top Bottom