(Spoilers) Characters from the Books - Who are they

+
People can talk about Ciri
s and Yennefer's design all day, but Emhyr's face is my biggest problem. He's just to ugly and to oldish.
I always got the feeling in the books that he's quite charismatic and handsome, so much so that he never or barely wears any distinct ornaments or fancy clothes.

The guy there looks some ugly town sheriff, in fact without the clothes he would easily pass as some peasant that was mutilated several times by monsters in the witcher universe.

That's right, hem hem.. :D

By the way, Ori was still alive and well in TW1. How about a "reunion"!?
I love their dialogues.

"Take pen and ink. You dictate a letter for her. Write ... Damn, I can not concentrate. What are these bloody screaming, Ori? What's going on in the square? "
"The students throw rocks at the Nilfgaardian ambassador's residence . We've paid for it... hem, hem, I think. "
"Ah. All right. Close the window. Tomorrow they're going to throw them at the bank branch of the dwarf Giancardi. He refused to disclose to me who has accounts there."
"Giancardi, hem, hem, has paid a substantial sum into the military coffers."
"Ah. Let them go to hurl stones at banks that have not done so. "
"They did it all."
"You're boring, Ori. Write, I tell you."

Anyway I don't think we'll get a reunion, 5 years have passed and Ori should be in a temple hospice. ;_;

Emhyr's face is my biggest problem. He's just to ugly and to oldish.
I always got the feeling in the books that he's quite charismatic and handsome, so much so that he never or barely wears any distinct ornaments or fancy clothes.

The guy there looks some ugly town sheriff, in fact without the clothes he would easily pass as some peasant that was mutilated several times by monsters in the witcher universe.
From what I saw in the trailer he barely wears ornaments or fancy clothes, only that golden "necklace", which is like a crown for him.
I agree he looks a bit old too, but I think he has not lost his charming attitude.

From what I saw in the trailer he barely wears ornaments or fancy clothes, only that golden "necklace", which is like a crown for him.
I agree he looks a bit old too, but I think he has not lost his charming attitude.

Well, he's about 50-60 years old when the Witcher 3 takes place.

When he saved King Roegner, he must have been at least 10 years old
(a toddler couldn't have saved him) and since then 40 years have passed.

So the minimum age he is should be 50. Anything older than that is absolutely possible, he could even be 60, 70 or 80.
I think CDPR selected a higher age on purpose, intrigued by how charismatic Tywin Lannister came across
when Charles Dance played him.

Last edited:
Thanks for this great post! reading the last info on Ciri and the last battle with Vilgefortz reminded me of Milva, such a great character, an one of the most sad and emotive deaths in books I´ve ever read! :'(

He was most likely in his mid-to-late teens when he saved Roegner. He was cursed at 13.

Last edited:
Indeed, he saved King Roegner shortly after he was exiled, which was at age 13. We can assume he was around 15 years of age.

Then he returned to Cintra 15 years after that. Adding that, makes him around 30 years old. That was in the year 1252.

Since TW3 takes place in 1274 (ignoring the possible timeline mistake), that would make Emhyr approximately 52 years old. Which enables us to assume that he is between 50 and 55 years of age, at the start of the Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Indeed, he saved King Roegner shortly after he was exiled, which was at age 13. We can assume he was around 15 years of age.

Then he returned to Cintra after 15 years after that. Adding that, makes him around 30 years old. That was in the year 1252.

Since TW3 takes place in 1274 (ignoring the possible timeline mistake), that would make Emhyr approximately 52 years old. Which enables us to assume that he is between 50 and 55 years of age, at the start of the Witcher 3.
Then he looks appropriately old but still he's face could be a bit less gruff.

Here's some information about Hjalmar. I could not fit it in the OP, since I'm "only" allowed to type 40000 characters. Can you imagine? Preposterous.

Hjalmar

Hjalmar, is Crach an Craite's eldest son, and heir to his throne in Skellige. He is a proud man, that fears no danger, like most men from Skellige.

When he was 15 years old, he had a skating accident, while racing 12 year old Cirilla of Cintra. That is when the two of them came close. It would appear that young Hjalmar and young Ciri, developed a form of "teenage love", while Hjalmar was laying on his recovery bed.

Due to Queen Calanthe's plans, Ciri had to leave Skellige, and visit Verden, where she was to marry Kirstin, shortly after that time.

Hjalmar however, never forgot about Ciri. He offered the Sorceress Yennefer of Vengerberg, valuable help, later in time, when she was trying to locate Vilgefortz, and through him, Ciri. Yennefer had to chain him to the second ship, so that he would not follow her to Sedna Abyss.

The character appears in TW3, and presumably continues to be in love with Ciri, which should make him quite an important character.

And that should be it for now. Many thanks to @HellKnightX88 for providing me with important information about the character. Much obliged sir.

People can talk about Ciri
s and Yennefer's design all day, but Emhyr's face is my biggest problem. He's just to ugly and to oldish.
He looks like clean-shaven, black-haired Charles Dance. I do not see how this could be a bad thing. He looks serious, menacing and charismatic. And he is supposed to be old. He has a daughter who is in her twenties who he had when he was at least in his mid-thirties, if not older.

To me it is the lady of the lake herself that intrigue me... Is it possible that the lady of the lake of the game is Nimue? She was able to guide Ciri through time so ... Or it is just poor reference to the two Lady of the lake of the book (Ciri and Nimue)?

I think the reference is directed to Ciri. I'm sure there are a lot of myths about "naked women near lakes" in many cultures. Since Ciri's space-time travelling seems to be connected with lakes rather strongly, I think Sapkowski quite conveniently explained every other single human myth about the "Lady of the Lake". It's just Ciri, travelling around.

Nimue, I think is just a scholar of that myth.

CDPRED's version of the Lady of the Lake is apparently different. I think she is a nymph or something, worshiped as a goddess by the peasants. A powerful nymph true, but still a nymph.

If however, you try to connect that character with Nimue, I can't say that I can get behind that thought. Nimue was a student in Aretuza, long after the events of the books or the games. She became a powerful sorceress and chose to dedicate herself to Ciri's legend. She is also called "Lady of the Lake", because (my guess) she lives next to a lake. She also have a very interesting name, if you are familiar with the Excalibur myth. Sapkowski and his trickery. BAH!

Last edited:
Top Bottom