Chromatic aberration toggle

+
Keep in mind that just because you personally don't notice it or enjoy chromatic aberration doesn't mean it's equal for anyone else and if there's people who honestly are feeling physical ill (as addressed by the OP) when playing games that have it, then it is an issue that should be dealt with.

I personally can't play first person shooter unless there's enough FOV without feeling ill so I can definitely understand the concern that some players would want an option to toggle this feature off. In terms of the video posted by: amfibiya89 where a developer/artist-designer talked about it, I think the mention that "This is a video game" summarize the point best as it's not a matter of creating a "cinematic/movie-like" experience in a video game, which should be quite obvious today based on all the "cinematic experience" bullshit that has flown around on the internet.

Overall features are a good thing, but it should be up to the consumer to be able to change these features as them, themselves see fit. After all no one should get punished by an unpleasant experience because developer can't be arsed to account for physical differences (like this, motion sickness, colour-blindness, people with visual problems where scalable UI would solve it etc.) their customers might have.

Quote: "...The CA is gonna go away. Because i understand you guys really want a crisp, clean gameplay experience."

And yes, it does fit a sci-fi setting, but not a medieval one.

I disagree, I dont think it "fits" any setting more than the other. It looks bad in any case. I do think its hilarious that he says they're going to replace it with a sharpening filter. CDPR use to get so much shit for that sharpen filter with Witcher 2 and early Witcher 3 footage.

Its good to hear some reasoning behind its use though,

I disagree, I dont think it "fits" any setting more than the other.

Witcher-setting is pre invention and use of multiple lens optical instruments, sci-fi-setting is post using such tools for recording visual images. :p

---------- Updated at 09:32 PM ----------

I do think its hilarious that he says they're going to replace it with a sharpening filter.

Because it's the right thing to do. They have temporal AA, wich removes the jaggies and after that the whole image gets nice and sharp, including textures (if they keep civil amounts it's practically artifact-free).

Ever seen TW2 without sharpening filter? It's a blurry mess.

Last edited:
Witcher-setting is pre invention and use of multiple lens optical instruments, sci-fi-setting is post using such tools for recording visual images. :p

CA is a defect thats been nearly eliminated in modern photography. For it to exist in a scifi setting in the year 3015 is almost as out of place as it being in the year 1400. It works in Alien because its emulating a movie from the 80s that had that look. However, it looks ridiculous in Destiny.

Because it's the right thing to do. They have temporal AA, wich removes the jaggies and after that the whole image gets nice and sharp, including textures (if they keep civil amounts it's practically artifact-free).

Ever seen TW2 without sharpening filter? It's a blurry mess.

Yes, but thats because the sharpening was used exactly to offset the blurriness of the fxaa used in Witcher 2. A lot of people still hated the sharpening effect and started using injection methods to get around it and there was a ton of complaining when Witcher 3 was first shown off and it was still there.

I disagree, I dont think it "fits" any setting more than the other. It looks bad in any case.

I don't think that the amount of CA in those screenshots was enough to make it important, but where there IS significant CA, I agree with you totally.
The only times that there I can envisage any real reason for CA as an effect is if they're trying to show it looks like through the eyes of a character who has just had a blow to the head, or it's a modern/futuristic setting where the character IS looking through a crappy lens. And even then, I think that using an effect that gives a lot of players real-life headaches is getting a little too immersive. There have to be better ways of doing it. And I definitely don't think of CA as a cool effect, it's an Oh dammit, I need to get a better lens for my camera effect.

I do think its hilarious that he says they're going to replace it with a sharpening filter. CDPR use to get so much shit for that sharpen filter with Witcher 2 and early Witcher 3 footage.

Its good to hear some reasoning behind its use though,

It's a question of degree. As the CA is fairly minor, it does look like they're using it for edge definition. Sharpening will also help edge definition, and a little sharpening is generally accepted as OK. The problem in the past was that they oversharpened, which many (including me) think makes an image look worse.

(And ninja'd. You know all of this already :) )

Last edited:
CA is a defect thats been nearly eliminated in modern photography. For it to exist in a scifi setting in the year 3015 is almost as out of place...

It's a question of perspective. Isolation is not 80's, it plays out in the future, but we see it with 80's eyes. :) Science-fiction is how we see the future through the eyes of now - and today CA is part of even the most expensive lens designs. Only with the help of software in the past decade we started to get completely rid of it.

Other than that i agree with you. It's a defect, it degrades image quality, and most of the times it looks ridiculous in games. But as a lo-fi effect it has it's place.

---------- Post merged on 28-03-2015 at 12:03 AM ----------

....As the CA is fairly minor, it does look like they're using it for edge definition.

CA is the opposite of definition, it smears/blurs edges by doubling/tripling the image in the color domain. Maybe you meant "definition" in the artistic sense.

I'm happy you can disable it. I think it can fit in some games or can be used well, but I don't really like when it's constantly there. It really bothered me in Payday 2 for example at times. It's usually something I like to disable along with DOF and Bloom (If the bloom is insane like it can be in UT4 with certain weapons)

Attachments

• ca100.jpg
    ca100.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 89
  • ca100.png
    ca100.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 62
  • ca101.png
    ca101.png
    146 KB · Views: 62
CA is the opposite of definition, it smears/blurs edges by doubling/tripling the image in the color domain. Maybe you meant "definition" in the artistic sense.

I'm refering to any technique used to make it clearer where the edge of an object is in a 2D image of a 3D scene. Sharpening does that by reducing the blur on the edges. Oversharpening still does it, but adds a dark edge which brings in a new set of problems and which many people, including me, don't like. A small amount of CA may improve edge definition, not by reducing blur, but by adding fringeing in a different colour. I'm not saying that's a desirable effect, just that I think it's probably the reasoning behind it.

PS: Thanks for the images - it reminded me of just how much I dislike CA. I had an early digital camera that did images like that first pair.

Last edited:
I'm no advocate of CA, but those screens are particularly poor examples of it. Not to mention the second screen clearly has color grading differences as well. When it's done well, it's fine.

This is mostly my own opinion, ofc;

It's a situational effect, like many others (lens, vignette, etc) that should be used wisely, and not just stuck in with the other post effects. This, like other trends become overly misused when it 'becomes a thing'. It was the same when the OTS camera was first introduced in shooter games - then suddently every dev, and their grannies, were using it. Even though it only suites some types of games, typically speaking.

One of the best use of situation post effects, that I can remember was from MGS 3: Snake Eater. When snake loses his eye, after that every time you enter first person, there is vignetting around one side of the screen lol, always thought that was a cool touch for back then.

:ninja: *appears*

There is a toggle for Chromatic Aberration in PC Settings.

:wave: *vanish*

Nice one, guys. Can't have too many good options in games imo. =)

Last edited:
Top Bottom