GOTY edition questions

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
No bugs is a bold statement.
All in all, as much as i like and respect CDPR for what it is, i'm not holding my breath pre-relase talk is always just fancy PR. Even though W3 turned out to be a great game we all know it was hyped up to be more than it actually was (especially in terms of mod support).

True enough, questionable decisions like that made me a bit more weary about CDPR "promises" so we will have to wait and see.

Even though W3 turned out to be a great game we all know it was hyped up to be more than it actually was (especially in terms of mod support).
They outdid themselves with the expansions though. Actually delivered more than they promised initially and unlike some devs *cough* Bethesda *cough* didn't raise the price of the season pass.

But, a new sign 100% won't happen. There are a few reasons why.

1. There are only seven signs. The other two, Heliotrop and Somne, are either redundant and nearly useless, respectively. Heliotrop is very similar to Quen, and Somne just puts people to sleep.

2. A huge amount of care went into each, individual sign in the game. Each is more or less effective against different monster, each has multiple animations, and each requires a great deal of work. Not only would Heliotrop only be used against the same monsters as Quen, but Somne would probably not be used at all.

3. A lot of new players already struggle with the five basic signs. Adding a sixth would really throw them off.

By "sign effect" I meant visual effects. Fancier fire and such. Perhaps more particles for higher levels of each sign. Little things, but fun.

It technically really depends of your rig. Most of the time, for ROTR, you're losing a bit of framerate if you're running Nvidia. Not much really, but globally it's useless.

DX12 talks is currently overblown. It's, mostly, encouraged by AMD followers because of the huge gap there is in Drivers between Nvidia and AMD, on top of the fact that AMD has basically invested a lot of their architecture into mantle, and what it means for DX12/Vulkan (Async Compute/GCN).

However, the big issue with DX12/Vulkan is that you're putting in the hands of the developers what you use to put in the hands of your GPU manufacturer / driver. Sure, theoretically, reducing the driver is a good thing, if you have extremely good developers, and a fixed architecture. If you don't, and PC doesn't have it, then it's a whole different story. If you're dealing with a very good developer, capable of using the capacity of your GPU at its best, then yes, DX12 may well bring you more than DX11. If you don't, then DX11 might well give you more than DX12.

So well, I'd rather have them focusing their energy on doing, something else, like better assets, improved lighting technology, than remaking their whole engine for DX12 or Vulkan for that matter.

My rig is laptop with nvidia 980m gpu and a i7-4720HQ cpu, so the fps increase was certainly not from async compute.

I agree with you post, though.

My rig is laptop with nvidia 980m gpu and a i7-4720HQ cpu, so the fps increase was certainly not from async compute.

I agree with you post, though.

I'm myself running a gtx 1080, which does support async compute, but even then, at 3440*1440p, all details turned to max apart from SSAA (and using HBAO+ as DX12 doesn't support VXAO which skews the comparison), the benchmark score about 70 fps in DX11, and 66fps in DX12.
Hard to find sources but this one seems to highlight that even for AMD, it makes no sense.

Not sure why your rig shows an increase. Might have to do with settings, resolution or something of the sort. In some titles, like Doom (which runs Vulkan but still, same principle), higher resolution sees a drop in the perf increase between Vulkan and Open GL. Maybe the same happens in DX12 and you see more value at lower resolution.

So yeah, let's hope CDPR don't waste energy on that, if they are to deliver more than a GOTY version, which I'm absolutely sure they will

Last edited:
I think so too. On the other hand, it was already unbelievable that they replaced the assets with worse counterparts just during several months before release, for that must be a ton of work.

That is, assuming that a version of the game world with all the extra details actually existed. It is also possible that this was only fully implemented for the (compared to the entire map, small) areas that were shown in the early trailers, while the detail work on much of the world was only completed later and already targeted the quality seen in the final version. So, it might not be easy to "upgrade" the entire game to look like in those trailers.

I already own the CE edition of the main game + physical versions of the expansions, but if the cover would look really nice, something like the cover for the new BioShock collection, I would probably buy the GOTY version ..

Speaking of cover art, what can be seen here is obviously only a placeholder. That is somewhat surprising only 26 days before the rumored release date, although it might already be done, just not uploaded until after the official announcement.

but in the game he is so one-dimensional and plain + the change in Avallac''s character in the game compared to his character in the books was so sudden and baffling to me (even though I like him).. it's just a shame that we know that CD Projekt RED writers can write one of the greatest original characters in videogame history (Letho, Gaunter, the Crones, Bloody Baron, Olgierd, Jacques, Roche, Iorveth (yes, I know he was mentioned in the books), I even liked Dettlaff - the scene at the table was one of the best in the entire franchise), but then they butchered some other characters so much..

I doubt there would be any changes to the concepts of what the characters are like in the game, even if the GOTY edition added new content.

In this panel, game director Konrad Tomaskiewicz said that the Goty edition will have " a lot of nice things, the expansions and no bugs".

Quoting the relevant part of the interview (the original article with the video can be found here):

Maybe some real questions now?

OK, I've got some.
First, how long are you going to support The Witcher with updates?
Second, can we hope for more small DLCs? Come on, we want more!
And third, will we ever see some new Witcher adventures, not necessarily Geralt's?

I'll say what I always say. We are not allowed to give info about the studio's plans, because we're in the stock market. There are people above us who'd love to fine us for that. We are obliged not to reveal any details.

Regarding the support of The Witcher, we're going to release GOTY Edition, as you may know by now, which is going to include lots of nice things, the expansions and no bugs. We're going to support the game for as long as we can.
We're also working on the standalone Gwent, which is kind of supporting the IP.

As for the next Witcher game, we decided the saga is over. Geralt's story is over and we're not taking that back. We're not planning another Witcher game.
Now we're all focused on Gwent and Cyberpunk, which are the next big challenges ahead.

To release at the same time mid August a new patch that would support Ansel, fix remaining bugs and be the base for the GOTY edition seems to be a good opportunity for CDPR.

The only drawback is that all the users that still suffer from bugs in the actual game will have to wait two additional weeks, which is not fair six weeks after the launch of the not so clean release 1.22.

Guest 2364765

To release at the same time mid August a new patch that would support Ansel, fix remaining bugs and be the base for the GOTY edition seems to be a good opportunity for CDPR.

The only drawback is that all the users that still suffer from bugs in the actual game will have to wait two additional weeks, which is not fair six weeks after the launch of the not so clean release 1.22.
Marcin Momot already confirmed that ANSEL (thus, the patch) will be released before GOTY.

No bugs is a bold statement.
All in all, as much as i like and respect CDPR for what it is, i'm not holding my breath pre-relase talk is always just fancy PR. Even though W3 turned out to be a great game we all know it was hyped up to be more than it actually was (especially in terms of mod support).

I mean in the polish context it was more like: "So you ask what the GOTY will be. Well it will be a version with no error/bugs." I don't think a huge RPG PC Game like The Witcher 3 can have like 0 bugs. Everyone who re-played the game, like myself, on the newest patch, will see that there are still 100 small, sometimes even tiny, bugs that will probably never get fixed, important is that there are no game breaking bugs or "Missing sound"-Cutscenes etc :D

You're right. That looks terrific. I wonder why they got rid of it.

Perhaps because it looked awkward in different contexts than what is shown on the video (jumping down from a ledge), but that is only a guess. I doubt that changing the jumping animation would have been needed for performance reasons.

I remember reading before that they had planned to do a quest or series of quests where Geralt infiltrates the Wild Hunt. I bet you would have liked that hehe. Really a shame they didn't flesh out Tir na Lia some more. I always thought Ge'els was a pretty intriguing character.

This has been discussed in the thread about the 2014 documents and cut content. Although if the infiltration quest is not Q211 (which would have been in Skellige before the final battle in Novigrad, and would have involved the Wild Hunt attacking Kaer Trolde), then it was probably deleted early. Also, the Through Time and Space quest does have some deleted parts, but they apparently would not have been in Tir Na Lia.

Last edited:
This has been discussed in the thread about the 2014 documents and cut content. Although if the infiltration quest is not Q211 (which would have been in Skellige before the final battle in Novigrad, and would have involved the Wild Hunt attacking Kaer Trolde), then it was probably deleted early. Also, the Through Time and Space quest does have some deleted parts, but they apparently would not have been in Tir Na Lia.

When I was writing my list of cut content, I made a mistake and the Infiltration quest was indeed part of Q211 (Canaris/Caranthir), taking place after obtaining Sunstone and visiting Avallac'h lab. It would involve trying to lure WIld Hunt into a trap via Sunstone (which in the final game begins the last battle instead), attack on Kaer Trolde and Caranthir kidnapping Avallac'h. Then Geralt would enter Naglfar under disguise of illusion and did the infiltration. Right after that battle in Novigrad begins, so basically this quest was a part of the game big finale.

Through Time and Space might have a bit longer Tir na Lia part or Avallac'h flashback planned, since Auberon's grave was to appear there. As for the deleted parts of the quest, the most interesting ones were definitely the part in Rivia, in which it looks like Geralt would see his "death" in the end of the Saga from different perspective, and... brief look at Cyberpunk 2077 world.

Starting from 1:17 and 3:17, you can see the better jump animation. This animation is also available in the 35 min gameplay video.
+

Wow, never noticed the difference, even though I watched everything from TW3 that was on the internet :p It seems like there was no Damage system if you fell down from a high distance, but the animations look really good, really strange that they added a "broken" Falling system and deleted these jumping animations :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom