Reviewing the full 35 minute Gamescom 2014 demo

+
Well there's technical graphics and then there's artistic choice.

Even on a purely technical level Witcher 3 is better then Crysis 3...with the exception of simulated grass but hey that's just how it goes. Witcher has hair and fur, Crysis has grass.

I know which one I care about more.

Last edited:
It's not complaining, it's just pointing out some imperfections the devs may or may not know about. It doesn't hurt anyone I think (as long as we keep it reasonable).

8. Magic fairy dust in the harpies’ nest is a relic from TW2. Needs to go.
I found that somewhat fitting with that particular situation, to be honest.
A harpies', or in this case, a crow's nest usually contains glittery, shiny things and the flask or bottle holding Johnny's voice looked to be made of some kind of polished brass or gold even. So the nest eminating a little bit of sparkly, fairy-dusty shine didn't sit that wrong with me.

It's probably just occuring for important quest items anyway, and maybe can be turned on or off via a corresponding option as well.

16. Why are there so many candles, bonfires, etc, lit in broad daylight?
Because that's what's usually associated with (medieval) pagan or wiccan traditions. Cauldrons, daggers, sickles, concoctions, animal intestines, sacrifices, lots, lots of candles and ritual fires for burning incense, the list goes on. I think the time of day is of little or no consequence in this regard, although certain rituals (involving candles, fires, etc) are supposed to work only under a full moon and things like that. I'm no expert obviously, I've just watched too many terribad movies.

It probably just happened to be broad daylight when this particular walkthrough of the 'Ladies of the Wood' quest chain was recorded. Maybe the time of day doesn't play that big of a role in the finished game and you can pretty much tackle quests any time you want. Didn't Peter Gelencser mention that you basically can confront the Werewolf at dawn or at noon as well, and that it would be advisable even to do so, since a Werewolf isn't able to 'morph boost' under the Sun?

It's not complaining, it's just pointing out some imperfections the devs may or may not know about. It doesn't hurt anyone I think (as long as we keep it reasonable).

Just commented on the official facebook post.
They are watching this topic.
Let's keep it a peaceful feedback place.

Last edited:
in regards to #16~ fires in broad daylight
in medieval times it was common practice to keep a fire, at least, burning 24 hours a day simply because of the time it would take to light one again and the fact that when night did come it was a simple case to light candles/ lamps from it.
candles etc being lit throughout the day probably not so much...but certainly at least one good fire per household. an Inn or tavern would certainly make use of lamps etc throughout the day as well as a fire.
fire was, after all, your means of having light, clean water, heat and food. if you've ever been fortunate enough to stay in a medieval village (living history) you will quickly realise just how fundamental fire becomes on a daily basis...

Last edited:
Haven't seen the footage since yesterday, but if I re-call, the clouds were static during the daytime. That was only thing that felt off, to me anyway.

Also, Geralt shouldn't begin his attacks with spins (it's OK mid-combat).

But he did start a lot of his attacks with a spin in the books ;) Personally i don't find anything wrong with that. Only nitpick that somewhat bothers me is the running animation. Seems a bit stiff. Other than that, great work REDs! ;)

I actually liked Johnny's VA, my first reaction to it, literally in the first few seconds, was that I didn't like it and it sounded too cheesy, but I really quickly warmed up to it, although I wasn't quite sure whether it was a girl/boy doing the voice acting, but I thought he/she/it was a really likeable character with really charming voice acting actually, and I don't use the word 'charming' very often, ha!

As for Geralt's VA with the Ealderman, I know what you mean, it sounds like he's talking at the Ealderman rather than to him, but it's a minor thing.

Last edited:
Hi there. I am new here though I am a long time fan of the Witcher games. Reading the books now. Used to hang around the Bioware forums but got tired of the shenanigans there.

Just saw the 35 minute demo.

As for critiques, here we go

Pros

1) Music was outstanding. It was as good as, if not better than Jeremy Soule's Elder Scrolls tracks. The sounds for the signs and sword slashes were good as well.
2) Environment was lovely. Novigrad was a treat and the swamp looks amazing. I used to live in a place that was near forests and swamps and the depictions of them was great.
3) Geralt felt fluid, his movements was very well choreographed and felt natural.
4) UI and inventory looks improved.
5) The violence and gore is a masterpiece. Looks properly visceral yet feels solid and real. *looks at Dragon Age 2*

Cons and Nitpicks.

1) Need sword thrusts and jabs. The longswords that Geralt carry are used to jab and stab people.
3) Would like to see more showcase of traps and grenades.
4) Enemy AI does not seem very intelligent. There seems to be a lack of coordination between them.
5) When you burn shields / set them on fire, it gets hot or it turns into ash. The bloke should have dropped them.
6) The night was a bit too bright. I know it was full moon but still...

The combat animations seem to include thrusts and quick slices, maybe the person playing was only using spinning attacks.

Side note: would love if geralt could just wear normal clothing like in the beginning of Witcher 1 :)

Another thing I noticed at the end, the music volume suddenly increased and almost drowned out the dialogue. This was also an issue in The Witcher 2, need to balance the volume of the music so that the dialogue can always be heard.

I dont' trust the Ladies, I would have helped the tree. Just sayin'.

BTW, the one thing that actually did bother me is that Geralt goes swimming and comes out of the water dry. At least have some wet hair and water dripping from his clothes for a bit of time.

I dont' trust the Ladies, I would have helped the tree. Just sayin'.

BTW, the one thing that actually did bother me is that Geralt goes swimming and comes out of the water dry. At least have some wet hair and water dripping from his clothes for a bit of time.
what...you can clearly see his armor is wet and shining

Awesome job. Can't wait for it to be released. But:
1- LACK OF PAIN in voice acting and animations. The elderman for example, after cutting his own ear off acts normally. An amputation is 9/10 on the pain chart. It was a VERY tense moment, too quickly resolved. IMHO it needs for example some more hesitation before the cut, a choked scream right after, and the voice broken by pain during the dialogue with geralt. He acting normal is just not believable.
2-RUN ANIMATION. Looks somehow weird. Can be improved.
3-SWIMMING SOUND could use some variation.

Keep on rockin', REDS

I'm sure Ciri just materialized in No Man's Land after spending a night in some form of astral party where heels were required. Sadly they got stuck in the mud and she fell. Could've been worse but she was a designated carriage driver so she only had one glass of Toussant red.

Top Bottom