Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
There is, actually.
Skyrim managed the main quest in the same way. You can stop the main quest, do what you want, and maybe come back to follow the main quest when you have done all the side stuff. Without any kind of consequences.
So, ok, do you want freedom? Do you want to stop the main quest? You can do it, but you should have some consequences.
Or make the main campaign narrative compelling enough that not immediately following it through will be a consequence in and off itself.
I mean the reason I completely stopped playing Skyrim's main campaign was because it was so bad. If it was really good, I would have felt a tug every-time I wandered off the path.

Regarding RANDOM loot, like water-chests:

Damn I like this. Of course if there's a quest bound to it, I like it even more. And of course having water-chests floating all the way around would be kinda silly. (not the case, we know that) To find something, to discover the world and loot something special from a special place is kinda like a little game in the game.
Again, it must not overload the game with things like this, because then it's just nothing special anymore. Like for example when everywhere on the main road one can find chests etc.
But we did see 2/3 chests floating around, guarded by some wicked hybrid-water-sky-monsters, wood was floating around ( maybe a ship at the ground, Joe did not dive there deep enough) and people are complaning ?!?!?!

Sorry, but I don't get it ... this is a nice feature of an open-world game. Discovering and finding things another player may not have found ... Actually I'm really happy about this. Really don't get the argument why some chests with a sunken ship or whats so ever do not fit in an open world rpg right in the middle of the ocean ...

ATM only Gopher's video is useful German girl plays silly and angry joe smoked too much weed
German girls footage is terrible. feels more like some youtube diary bullsh*t than actually gaming. actually i'm german and dont even know her.. whatever, rocket beans were at cdpr too, so hopefully they do their jobs better....
gopher footage was quite nice.

Now i have looked at several W3 videos and Gopher's remains the best one, im looking forward to part 2!
Skimmed through some of the Polish and Russian videos and there was alot interesting gameplay but i dont speak either :/
Skipped past the German one, she was just messing about -.-

Also, Timed quests are an abomination :mean:

The Gopher footage was actually the only one I enjoyed watching. I started AJ but turned it off the moment he wanted to kill the noonwraith at midnight. Then I watched the first German one which was great to have a look at the landscape of Skellige islands but he didn't explain anything about the game. And we don't even need to talk about the German girl... :facepalm:

Looks like blade oil can last as much as 15 minutes or more, but potions are still down in the seconds when it comes to duration.
I really don't get it.

TW3 is said to have three different epilogues, as well as 36 different world states. These are determined by the decisions you make throughout the game. Consequences at the end of the game, and probably throughout it, too. Now there is criticism that there isn't another category for decisions and consequences, that being time limit for the main quest? Because there isn't a remarkable amount of complexity anyway? We get A, so let's complain about B. It's just never enough. Then there was a post that somehow blamed the open world for this and said this is why stories suffer in this format (as if TW1 and TW2 had time limits, despite being hub chapters with linear progression). And of course there were complaints about chests in the sea being ridiculous, and that suddenly the whole game is filled with boring loot and that exploration is boring or dead.

What's going on here?

I honestly feel that people are going out of their way to complain.

On a different note - Gopher's was my favorite too, out of the few I skimmed through. I never thought I'd reach this point, but I've actually had my fill of footage. I just didn't feel the urge to watch the rest. Now I'm keeping the game for myself. I'll probably listen to Gopher's upcoming parts, but without watching.

I have really bad internet connection right now, could anyone be so kind and make a list of the videos that can be considered as spoiler-free? Or is there a list like that already?

Angry Joe video... Boat... islands... flying/swimming monsters attacking the boat and actually damaging it to the point where it is half sinking....! The whole scene looked incredible.

I just can not honestly wait any longer. Its too much to take... and these videos are only making the wait harder.

Looks like blade oil can last as much as 15 minutes or more, but potions are still down in the seconds when it comes to duration.
I really don't get it.

Oils seems weaker and have very niche use. Potions are powerful and are more generally useful. Its all about balance. Plus having to constantly hop in/out of menus to apply oil would be insanely annoying.

Finished watching them. Liked Gopher's, Angry Joe's and PietSmite's (if you can ignore his talk).
Overall everything looks amazing, only the stuttering in some of the vids was annoying, but it was a older build so hopefully it's fixed.
Luckily they weren't any main quest spoilers. What I noticed:
Barely anybody uses the sidestep dodge. It's Witcher 2 roll spamming all over again. Obviously I haven't played the game but it's worrisome that everyone who played the game in those vids seems to prefer the rolling. The downside seems to be not high enough (stop of vigor regeneration)
Waiting now for more vids (50%+ of the youtubers haven't posted their gameplay yet)

TW3 is said to have three different epilogues, as well as 36 different world states. These are determined by the decisions you make throughout the game. Consequences at the end of the game, and probably throughout it, too. Now there is criticism that there isn't another category for decisions and consequences, that being time limit for the main quest? Because there isn't a remarkable amount of complexity anyway? We get A, so let's complain about B. It's just never enough. Then there was a post that somehow blamed the open world for this and said this is why stories suffer in this format (as if TW1 and TW2 had time limits, despite being hub chapters with linear progression). And of course there were complaints about chests in the sea being ridiculous, and that suddenly the whole game is filled with boring loot and that exploration is boring or dead.

What's going on here?

On a different note - Gopher's was my favorite too, out of the few I skimmed through. I never thought I'd reach this point, but I've actually had my fill of footage. I just didn't feel the urge to watch the rest. Now I'm keeping the game for myself. I'll probably listen to Gopher's upcoming parts, but without watching.

I'm not...complaining. I was just sharing my ideas on how to improve the focus on the main quest. I thought there's nothing wrong in sharing ideas....

I don't know, maybe I was wrong.

I don't know about you guys.. but TW3 looks way better than Dark Stone from PS1, Lok, SoulReaver or the D&D monster manul Book II lol..
Those games had mood & magic, I loved them a lot and TW3 just makes all the favorite games from my childhood come to life ;)

What's going on here?

Not really. The problem is that you can write a post where you write something hugely positive about what you like and give credit where credit is due. Then you write something negative about what you don't like. What then happens is someone takes that post and cut out the positive and only quote the negative which you then react to and say why that is. Then someone comes along and take that quote and say you are either nitpicking or being overly critical and it must be hard for the developers with people like you always throwing around your negativity.

Welcome to the interwebs :p

I don't know about you guys.. but TW3 looks way better than Dark Stone from PS1, Lok, SoulReaver or the D&D monster manul Book II lol..
Those games had mood & magic, I loved them a lot and TW3 just makes all the favorite games from my childhood come to life ;)
The soft moody music in TW3 is pure magic!

Last edited:
It's almost painful for me to watch these guys (or rather: girls) fuck around and just doing shit while I'm sitting here waiting to get my hands on the game. I'm actually offended by that.

Alright, so, for anyone wondering what's worth watching:

1. Gopher; general impressions, nicely put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R0Ji39E68
2. Angry Joe; boats and sirens at sea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJpWBMH9EtQ&t=872
3. PietSmiet; Skellige open world exploration (in German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGJGDRnHT0
4. ImAnderZEL; Some nice, atmospheric pieces of footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_eRUq1PQPE

And I'm sure Jesse's video, whenever that comes out (he's having rendering problems, apparently), is going to be worth watching as well.

My impressions from the videos; well, they've really nailed the atmosphere, the world looks and feels amazing. Combat seems like fun, although it can look a bit weird in places, but I guess you can't really avoid that without making the mechanics too simplistic. Stormy weather - 10/10, absolutely stunning, from both audio and visual perspective. The amount of lightnings seemed a bit excessive, perhaps, but eh. Sirens at sea - that was fantastic, and seeing that one at the end destroying the boat was great.

I could nitpick over some glitches etc. but I don't know how much has been fixed by now, since that was an older build they were playing on. And the issues that are there are so minor, that they're fairly unimportant. Overall, I have to say, the game's looking preeeeetty strong. Good job, REDs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom