Witcher 3 First 15 minutes gameplay!

+
Goodness gracious, that white halo of sainthood is an aesthetic abomination.

It's also redundant. So the player just cast axii on an enemy combatant, then saw him turning into a zombie mid combat, and it is being argued the player would still need an additional visual cue besides that sluggish stance to let him know the obvious? What a peculiar thing to say.

Why can't the player just pay attention to how the enemy combatant behaves in order to determine when the effect's off? Let me tell you. Once the combatant starts moving again, that's a dead giveaway.

This is ugly, redundant, and an obtuse form of handholding.
Combat is looking great by the way. Just kill the white halo of sainthood with DDT and it will look even better.

What's more, when Geralt comes back after checking notice board,, she tries to hold her breath to get rid of it.

Nifty detail indeed. Hadn't noticed that!

Wouldn't it be neat if those hiccups tied into a sidequest? Geralt would walk up to her, she'd bemoan them, how she'd tried everything and nothing seemed to have worked.

Last edited:
I'm glad they changed(calmed) the surface of the water,now it looks more realistic and with fog near the bridge even better.
And flying griffin looks better with clouds in sky.
But to me best game presentation(graphics)- what to expect from witcher 3 is not this video,
but January 2015 gameplay with mixed quests and Djenge Frett
and maybe fight with royal wyern (PAX)-after fight there is falling (flying) leaves and wind pickup strenght

Do we know the purpose of the yellow bar under the enemies health bar?
I've seen their stamina bar help them parry Geralt's attacks. Each hit that was blocked reduced the bar and when it was depleted they had no energy left to block him. I like it. Adds another layer. Maybe it also has other effects. The strength of their attack, as a guess?

About the glowing visual effect of Axii - not a fan either. I like doing away with shiny effects when you can (not only in combat either - shining loot sacks, for example). So Yrden might require some magical symbols to tell us where we can make use of the spell, but Axii already has a visual effect - the person stops and sways in his spot. It's the same principle that makes me want to remove the red\white sword trail for heavy\light attacks.

@Dragonbird maybe in theory I could agree, but I don't think that TW's battles include so many opponents that they become confusing. They're usually limited to small groups, and since the player has to actively use Axii and choose who to target then I imagine he can keep track of it.

@Dragonbird maybe in theory I could agree, but I don't think that TW's battles include so many opponents that they become confusing. They're usually limited to small groups, and since the player has to actively use Axii and choose who to target then I imagine he can keep track of it.

You could be right, and it definitely does look pretty ugly right now. But I'm still reserving judgement until I play.

I wonder if that glow effect can be toggled by setting. They have mentioned how many hand holding functions can be disabled. Maybe the glow can also?

Goodness gracious, that white halo of sainthood is an aesthetic abomination.

It's also redundant. So the player just cast axii on an enemy combatant, then saw him turning into a zombie mid combat, and it is being argued the player would still need an additional visual cue besides that sluggish stance to let him know the obvious? What a peculiar thing to say.

Why can't the player just pay attention to how the enemy combatant behaves in order to determine when the effect's off? Let me tell you. Once the combatant starts moving again, that's a dead giveaway.

This is ugly, redundant, and an obtuse form of handholding.
Combat is looking great by the way. Just kill the white halo of sainthood with DDT and it will look even better.

I'm with you in pretty much everything but you know how gamers tend to be. If they couldn't see a clear effect of the Axii sign on enemies there might even be complains about it. I don't like it but it's not gonna spoil it for me :)

I wonder if that glow effect can be toggled by setting. They have mentioned how many hand holding functions can be disabled. Maybe the glow can also?

I would love that, there seems to be so much customization in the game already.

The roll doesnt seem effective to me. During the fight with the ghouls it looks like Geralt is totally vulnerable while rolling and there may be some recovery time looking at the way he died.

This. He is definitely hit while dodging (from a ghoul that he wasn't targeting) at around 10:20-10:30 in the youtube video. As long as you can still be hit while attempting to dodge or roll, I don't think roll spamming will be too valuable of a strategy.

Tomorrow the game will be delayed because someone in the headquarters of CDPR forgot that the sun should be rising in the east and set in the west. It will be the funniest and at the most annoying blunder ever in gaming industry.

I would cry.
But laugh at the same time.

I don't think the effect is the most elegant thing but I wouldn't call it "hand holding". To me it just looks like the typical representation of a buff/debuff in RPGs, which often use gaudy or exaggerated effects to communicate the status of an enemy. So I'd chalk it up to the more traditional RPG nature of the default UI being at odds with immersion.

Whether it stays or goes... not a big deal to me either way.

I want them to get rid of the blue glowing of the sword.

Also, Marcin said we would get VGX level on ultra? Like, in terms of DOF and reflections and foliage?

I want them to get rid of the blue glowing of the sword.

Also, Marcin said we would get VGX level on ultra? Like, in terms of DOF and reflections and foliage?

I wouldn't get my hopes up, the draw distance and LOD don't seem very good in the video, and I don't think we'll be able to change those settings because of Umbra 3. I don't know about the reflections, but it seems like they changed the lighting from VGX to now.

Basically, I'd wait for the game to come out, and see if they actually have the effects that they showed back in 2013/2014.

If you don't know what Umbra 3 here is a link explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPm3NXWcEec

Illustration of the sun problem:

---------- Updated at 04:14 PM ----------

I wouldn't get my hopes up, the draw distance and LOD don't seem very good in the video, and I don't think we'll be able to change those settings because of Umbra 3. I don't know about the reflections, but it seems like they changed the lighting from VGX to now.

Basically, I'd wait for the game to come out, and see if they actually have the effects that they showed back in 2013/2014.

If you don't know what Umbra 3 here is a link explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPm3NXWcEec

LOD s will still be pressent in game, there is no point in rendering high res models if they are 3 pixels wide on screen. And people have different screens and rigs, thus you need to be able to tweak it.
Damn I hope there will be ENB for the game.

I was kind of hoping they would drop the damage increase a little and increase the enemy health in return on harder difficulties.
So that battles lasted longer, which would make them harder, but you wouldn't just drop dead because of an unlucky dodge.

This. He is definitely hit while dodging (from a ghoul that he wasn't targeting) at around 10:20-10:30 in the youtube video. As long as you can still be hit while attempting to dodge or roll, I don't think roll spamming will be too valuable of a strategy.

I think since there's a proper dodge and a roll now, the roll is more of a kiting tool because it covers more distance to whatever direction you're going.
This was kinda one of my main issues with Witcher 2 since the roll is also the only dodge and there's this clunky, frustrating event that happens when I get hit in the back as I'm rolling and get one shotted.
In Witcher 3, it seems like the quickest response key to avoid damage has to be the single tap dodge button and if for example you're rolling a Sign build and want to fight monsters in a distance, rolling might be the best way to achieve that.

Top Bottom